A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

TWO re-activated fave builds in one morning - first Edward (@Procopius) and now Yer Man@Fritag; happy days indeed.

As so often with Steve, little snippets added to the "ooh, that's a great idea" file (though at least I beat you to using Albion non-brass slide fit, which is wonderful stuff - see Vixen arrestor hook for details).  Plus more airings for that most excellent aviation/engineering geek word, "fescalised".  

Bliss.  

Shame I'm stuck in a Pret in London, resting between job interviews, rather than at my desk.

[Can I also say that I am in awe of anyone who pours sticky liquid resin-y stuff, with their wrong hand, over a teeny-tiny cutting mat perched near the edge of an ordinary non-expendable table, in a tidy room furnished in pale materials that would show up any spillages something rotten?  Either you have cojones the size of Fylingdales, or Frau Fritag is a meek & mild Little Woman (breath not held on that one), or you can do stuff with your wrong hand that I wouldn't contemplate even with my right one.

Respect!

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Fritag said:

a buxom girl doing her first solo in a Cessna 150

That wouldn't be 'gyrocopter girl' perchance? Never, ever watched any of her videos myself, of course....:whistle: :D :nerd:

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Nice trick with the toothbrush Steve - I'm surprised it didn't go flying!

Or maybe he just didn't show us that bit! :P

Keith

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Can I also say that I am in awe of anyone who pours sticky liquid resin-y stuff, with their wrong hand, over a teeny-tiny cutting mat perched near the edge of an ordinary non-expendable table, in a tidy room furnished in pale materials that would show up any spillages something rotten?  Either you have cojones the size of Fylingdales, or Frau Fritag is a meek & mild Little Woman (breath not held on that one), or you can do stuff with your wrong hand that I wouldn't contemplate even with my right one.

Oh my.  Where to begin to respond to Crisp's Pret musings  (BTW good luck at the interviews) :D

an ordinary non-expendable table

Oi,  Wadge a mean ordinary?  I made that table top out of oak left over when the oak floor was laid!!! 

cojones the size of Fylingdales

Showing your age Crisp - weren't the Fylingdale 'golf balls' replaced by pyramids back in the late 80's/early 90's? (still got golf balls near us at Memwith hill tho').  Or - if you meant some sort of pyramid shaped comparison - I don't even want to think about it.....

or Frau Fritag is a meek & mild Little Woman (breath not held on that one)

Hmm.  I'm not holding my breath on that one either.

As it happens I was relatively safe, cos the pouring took place in the room we use for hobbies/chilling and were I do all my modelling (save for airbrushing enamels/lacquers - which I do in the garage).

I have my modelling stuff in a bureau and use the fold down desk as a work bench.

Cosy winter evenings with Mrs F knitting and watching TV and Mr F modelling (+ a glass or two of vino).  Cripes that sounds middle aged.........

IMG_6360_zpsvpuhze2t.jpg

Reverse view:

IMG_6362_zpstulij6nc.jpg

Oh - and I do have a mat cunningly made by binding the edges of offcuts of the room carpet underneath the bureau to catch spillages etc :) 

And the view out of the window of the Village church - well you can see the church in the winter when the leaves have fallen..........it's nice and quiet hereabouts.

IMG_6361_zpsiy8gewfq.jpg

Thing is.  We're now so used to chilling in this room that we hardly ever use the Sitting room to - well - sit in!

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 14

Blimey.  Sometime in the next few days I'll post a similar photo of my modelling bomb site, workshop place where I squats.  Any resemblance is fleeting.  We live in a very nice late-Victorian townhouse (which, now that my wife has retired and we've reclaimed the two rooms that were her dental surgery, is almost embarrassingly large for two people plus one terrier); all the rooms are very respectable... except one, which is my man cave and is generally a complete tip.

By the way, is that photo on the end wall you rolling onto your attack heading in a Jaguar at Cape Wrath...?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

is almost embarrassingly large for two people plus one terrier

I know wot you mean.  Our's is a converted barn and there's just the two of us (no terrier) we had to get creative to make good use of all of the rooms.

12 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

By the way, is that photo on the end wall you rolling onto your attack heading in a Jaguar at Cape Wrath...?

That is scarily close Crisp :worthy:  It's a photo taken on Faraid Head and that is indeed Cape Wrath in the background - but it's a piccie of Mrs F taking her ease on Faraid Head.  She's in the bottom left hand corner and it's an 'artfully' composed photo........

I probably do have some HUD camera film of Cape Wrath somewhere - but even back in the 80"s it was frowned upon to go as low as the c. 5ft 10" that this piccie was taken from.......

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 4

I spent enough time off Cape Wrath in a minesweeper, rolling like a very wobbly rolling thing in that "lovely" Northern swell, to make an educated guess.

[It could actually be Falkland-y from the light and the terrain, but I assume you never had the pleasure of flying down there; I'm pretty sure Jaguars never graced Falkland skies.  Getting there was a right performance, but the flying once you got to the islands was better than anywhere else I ever committed aviation.  MSD was essentially dictated by just how low you dared go, apart from in a few nature reserve areas. Eventually they tightened up, but on my first post-war trip, in 89...  Yee Haw!]

• Like 3

Nice to see that Mr F is back in the game....

I find that modelling works best when you can model in the same room as the family/better half as then we're all together. I've often debated an extension with a bespoke man cave, it would never work! (At least that's what I'm told!!).

• Like 2

Nice gaff you've got there Steve. Hey just an idea off the top of my head, blue sky thinking an all that, just thought I'd run it past you and sure Mrs Fritag wouldn't mind... I know that you pop by on Tony's (TheBaron's) Boxcar thread from time to time, so you'll be aware that me, Bill, Mr Martian, Ced and loads of the regulars on here and a few escaped convicts and spaced out ravers community volunteers looked after his pad while he was on holiday. Don't feel afraid to ask, we won't be put out but next time you're on holiday, let us know and we'll take care of Fritag Manor for you. No, we wouldn't dream of expecting any kind of payment, that's what mates are for eh, but just give us the word and we'll be right round. Nice to have peace of mind on holiday innit...

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Fritag said:

with Mrs F knitting and watching TV and Mr F modelling

I'm 41 years married last week and the only way I've survived is by not being in the same room doing models when she's knitting.:hmmm:

Good to see this masterpiece revived Fritag.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Fritag said:

I read about this idea somewhere.  Probably on BM.  Someone gets credit for it if it works and the blame if it don't.....

I think it was Ced B who suggested the toothbrush..and I bet it works. Credit where it's due...(Cedit?)

• Like 1

Eh, what, me! Thanks Kitsticker :) I'm sure the use of, er, vibrating things has been around for some time... but DO NOT Google it; if Bill and Steve are right the cookie tracker thingy will start showing you things you really don't want to see. Rabbit? Enough said. If you still think it's a cute fluffy rodent thingy then I admire your Internet security software...

Nice chill room Steve and very good idea about using the Bureau so that you can close up when not modelling... if you hadn't fitted the vice. Lots of screens too and TWO laptops on the go? Wha... er... why do... ah, I get it, one with clean cookies and the other for finding videos of 'young ladies' taking their first flying lesson. Fnaar fnaar, snarf yip!

I did the YouTube 'post viewing suggestions test' and, like Bill, got lots of Wonka. Plus a couple of flying clips. Plus 'the best Leadership speech ever' which, when I clicked it, presented me with an ad featuring an American blonde lady who was telling me that, even though I was old, I could attract dumb young blonde ladies if I had something called 'abs'. My little Golf has that, I think. And tsi and dsg and lots of other TLAs (three-letter abbreviations). So I should be OK then eh?

• Like 5

On 19/07/2017 at 8:27 PM, giemme said:

even nicer chill out room - I'm slightly envious :winkgrin::clap:

I don't have a swimming pool in my garden like some folk on BM :whistle: :D

On 20/07/2017 at 8:23 AM, CedB said:

very good idea about using the Bureau so that you can close up when not modelling

That was the theory.....but how often do you think one can be bothered in practice to tidy away......

On 19/07/2017 at 5:41 PM, Martian Hale said:

I see you tidied up the bench for the photograph Steve.

That's what I mean......

On 20/07/2017 at 0:09 AM, Kitsticker said:

I think it was Ced B who suggested the toothbrush..and I bet it works. Credit where it's due...(Cedit?)

Cedit (sic) is now my new word.  Ced gets Cedit (sic) for a fair few of my more recent modelling tool acquisitions.  What would we do without that man?

On 19/07/2017 at 9:43 PM, Tomoshenko said:

next time you're on holiday, let us know and we'll take care of Fritag Manor for you

Erudite chaps as all the aforementioned are I find my self lacking any cogent evidence that they are sufficiently housetrained......

Anyways - with a slight interregnum caused by being otherwise engaged during allocated modelling time I pretended to work at home this afternoon and sneakily didn't.

Continuing the resin casting theme that's happening in parallel here and over there (Bill's Bucc build) - I popped the first cast out of my green catalyst RTV - toothbrush vibrated - mould and:

IMG_6363_zpsaed9m9ct.jpg

Just one annoying bubble between the piston housings on the right hand side.....Bu**er.

IMG_6364_zps3txuljuc.jpg

I was able to dislodge it with a needle and so it's sort of ok.  But by now I've got some of my preferred slower curing red catalyst so I'm gonna make another mould anyways.....

PS Dunno why they call it fast set.......I don't call 6-8 hours fast........

IMG_6366_zpsnefpmfkz.jpg

I also mounted the master in the mould differently.  I don't know why I didn't think of this before; but if I mount it so that the fiddly detail that is likely to trap air bubbles is facing upwards when I pour in the RTV - then there's more chance that no air bubbles will form when I pour the RTV onto it - and more chance that any bubbles will be dislodged during the vibration and float upwards and away....Sometimes I'm just dim.

IMG_6365_zpsaqapsaxf.jpg

As the red catalyst gives more working time I vibrated it for several minutes to get rid of bubbles before pouring it:

IMG_6367_zpszl4i0xzy.jpg

I then poured it to a level just above the master and let it sit vibrating for a short while:

IMG_6369_zps34kci4h3.jpg

And then filled it to the top:

IMG_6371_zpse1ungxwh.jpg

Whether this make any difference of course remains to be seen.....

The eagle eyed will have spotted that the work surface is different in these last few piccies.  That was cos I was sneaking in the study at home modelling instead of working.....

Here's my study temporary modelling cave:

IMG_6376_zpsl37gqsho.jpg

IMG_6377_zps9n3stok7.jpg

I'm allowed aircraft piccie's in here :D

Your's truly:

IMG_6374_zpsjettxztl.jpg

And a Mike Rondot painting that Mrs F had painted for me for my 50th:

IMG_6375_zpsrv9bmdrx.jpg

If you closely on the full size original it's got my name painted underneath the cockpit - in the position we used to have em painted on the Jags on the squadron.  Weren't that nice of her....

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 18

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Erudite chaps as all the aforementioned are I find my self lacking any cogent evidence that they are sufficiently housetrained......

Anyone get the feeling that Steve doesn't entirely trust us?

Deeply Hurt of Mars

• Like 4

More nice moulding Steve - fingers crossed for Mk II.

TWO modelling areas eh? One 'official' and the other 'sneaky'... I like your style.

I also like and am extremely envious of the painting... what a great present.

I'm afraid I won't be joining the party as I'm too old for all night sessions and they play that modern music so LOUD. Your wooden floors will help though - less staining :wicked: 

• Like 2

That's a lovely painting. Mike Rodot's Jags first came to my attention when I visited a small hotel in the West Country in the late 90s and there was a beautiful Granby Jaguar on the wall with signatures all around. Fancied one of his ever since. That photo of you over Norfolk(?) also takes me back.

Justin

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fritag said:

I don't have a swimming pool in my garden like some folk on BM :whistle: :D

Compensation ... :D:D

You and Bill are actually setting up great casting tutorials - let's what happens with attempt #2 :popcorn::beer:

Ciao

All that palaver using the slower curing red catalyst and vibrating the RTV & mould seems to have had a benefit.  Here's a cast from the mould alongside one from the previous, green mould.  No troublesome bubbles this time:)

IMG_1202_zpsgk6q3sbu.jpg

And just to remind myself what the piece is for!

IMG_1203_zpsjfavdc6m.jpg

By my reckoning I've now used home brew resin casts for the cockpit tubs, bang seats, main undercarriage legs, nose wheel, CBLS and masters for vac forming the cockpit coamings and canopy.....so far....

• Like 12