A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

Hi Mr Fritag,

Yeah its them metal pimple rivets that cause a problem in 1/72 scale. I think Archers make the best but remember they are installed when minimal handling is needed. I have replaced complete tail and wing surfaces in plastic with rivets installed with a rivet wheel but only in 1/48 scale. In 1/72 its too small to see rivets IMHO....

PHIL.  

On 11/23/2016 at 9:42 AM, Fritag said:

Using the same technique as I'd practised (well polished alclad white primer base coat - use of Microsol after application of the strip of rivets) I applied strips of double rivets to the upper and lower trailing edges each of the tailplanes:

IMG_0788_zpstwx9yjnk.jpg

Left it overnight and carefully peeled the carrier film of this morning and:

IMG_0789_zpsgklmoggh.jpg

Can you see any rivets?  I can't.......:angry:

Of the 8 strips of rivets I applied the best result was this one :suicide::

IMG_0792_zpsat7kgfyz.jpg

Unlike Crisp I'm just not getting on with these HGW rivets.

If it's poor technique - then I'm bu**ered if I know what I'm doing wrong :fraidnot: (and they are very unforgiving......)

And if there's nowt wrong with my technique - then they are too hit and miss for me........

Bad luck, mate.  But funny you should say that.  If people are wondering why it's gone a bit quiet from the Fleet Air Arm Salisbury branch, it is partly because I have been having a similar experience.  Starboard fuselage went beautifully, with about 1 failure in 20 applications, which is a ratio I can live with... but port fuselage is going horribly, with only about 4 rows being worth keeping out of 20-odd applied.  I too am puzzling what I'm doing wrong - I think I'm doing exactly the sane as before, but I have tried several things.

My most recent theory is that I have a duff sheet of double rows; the old sheet ran out just as I finished the starboard side, ans it is true that at least 3 of the failures have been before application, with the backing sheet peeling away at tye same time as the protective tissue paper (which is game over).

So I have tried a few single rows, and we'll see.  Quite what I will do if I can't make it work, I am not sure; half a rivetted Sea King is not much use to anyone.

Edit - like this (sorry to sully your plank-wing build with a proper flying machine...) ;-)

31096780511_a02ecd148a_b.jpg

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, Fritag said:

I didn't say that I rescued her immediately ;)

Matelots are specially trained to detect such things at beyond visual range distance.  Though not frigates; that would just be weird & pervy.

• Like 2

On 23/11/2016 at 1:29 PM, Martian Hale said:

Would you even see the rivets on the real aircraft at an equivalent distance?

19 hours ago, LongMan2 said:

In 1/72 its too small to see rivets IMHO....

Fair point Chaps.  These rivets - especially under paint - are quite subtle.  I wanted to use them on just the rear end of the airframe/tailplane as they are quite a prominent feature and quite an eye catching contrast to the rest of the airframe. 

I'm still hoping - but the hope is waning.......

On 23/11/2016 at 2:16 PM, Leonl said:

Have you tried Archers?

I think the Archer rivets are embedded on top of a decal sheet aren't they? So that you trim a strip and then apply them?  Doesn't that leave a strip of decal sheet to cover with paint?  Also I'm not are the rivets go as small as the 0.15mm diameter ones HGW do.

But I could be wrong.....

7 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

If people are wondering why it's gone a bit quiet from the Fleet Air Arm Salisbury branch, it is partly because I have been having a similar experience.  Starboard fuselage went beautifully, with about 1 failure in 20 applications, which is a ratio I can live with... but port fuselage is going horribly, with only about 4 rows being worth keeping out of 20-odd applied.  I too am puzzling what I'm doing wrong - I think I'm doing exactly the sane as before, but I have tried several things.

My most recent theory is that I have a duff sheet of double rows; the old sheet ran out just as I finished the starboard side, ans it is true that at least 3 of the failures have been before application, with the backing sheet peeling away at tye same time as the protective tissue paper (which is game over).

Sorry to hear that Crisp.

But I have an ever so small and ever so disreputable feeling of schadenfreude :blush: because your problems may mean that it isn't just me being a complete and utter muppet (unlike usual).

However - and notwithstanding such unsavoury and unworthy feelings -  I hope you get it cracked .

[Note:  Don't quite have the command of English to do away with the emotions as has Ced......]

7 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

sorry to sully your plank-wing build with a proper flying machine... ;-)

The phrase 'flying machine' always conjures in my mind thoughts of Dastardly and Mutley in their Flying Machines - and as such I am happy to cede the applicability of the phrase  to your Sea King Crisp........In fact as I think about perhaps you and Bill can decide between you whether the Sea King or Wasp is the more proper flying machine.....:)

Being rather stupid and stubborn I have persisted with the rivets and had more success on two of the tailplanes with the 1/72 ones:

IMG_0793_zpsnhmumkrd.jpg

I think that these will be adequately scale(ish) under a coat of paint.  That is if they can actually be seen at all under a coat of paint......

For the other two tailplanes I have tried applying them over a coat of gloss white (note these are drying and the plastic film is still in place) as suggested by @Cheshiretaurus.  Goodness knows if any of the rivets will actually adhere to the paint.  I'll find out tomorrow morning......

IMG_0794_zpsjk0okm1p.jpg

I'm some way from deciding whether to press ahead with putting any one the fuselages.  Might wait and see how Crisp gets on with side 2 of his Sea King.........

My thoughts at the moment - having followed Crisp's build closely and from my own - more limited - experience is that different sheets of rivets behave differently - but why that should be I could not say.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 4

For future reference (as I'm sure it's too late for this build), consider the Micro-Mark rivet decals:

http://www.micromark.com/ho-scale-decals-with-raised-3d-rivets-and-other-surface-details,9968.html

I have a sheet, which I have yet to use, but have so far heard only positive reviews of them.

49 minutes ago, Fritag said:

The phrase 'flying machine' always conjures in my mind thoughts of Dastardly and Mutley in their Flying Machines - and as such I am happy to cede the applicability of the phrase  to your Sea King Crisp........In fact as I think about perhaps you and Bill can decide between you whether the Sea King or Wasp is the more proper flying machine.....:)

I suppose it depends which is better at stopping pigeons (or not as the case may be)...

My nickname at BFTS was 'Mutley' probably because I didn't (and still don't) suffer fools gladly.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ascoteer said:

I suppose it depends which is better at stopping pigeons (or not as the case may be)...

I was pretty good at that......

ET011_zpsa5c968e6.jpg

13 minutes ago, Ascoteer said:

My nickname at BFTS was 'Mutley' probably because I didn't (and still don't) suffer fools gladly.

Go on.  You surprise me Debs :whistle: .....ducks;  conducts a self analysis of remark and use of emoticon for foolishness.  Concludes it might well be regarded as the remark etc. of a fool and decides to stay ducked.......

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

phrase 'flying machine' always conjures in my mind thoughts of Dastardly and Mutley in their Flying Machines

I had exactly the same thought! :D:D

• Like 2

On 23/11/2016 at 1:29 PM, Martian Hale said:

Would you even see the rivets on the real aircraft at an equivalent distance?

The holiday cottage looks superb , I am suitably jealous. :jealous: Great story about Mrs F and the frigate, almost karma for referring to our hobby as "playing with plastic", better hope she doesn't read this though!

Martian

Yep,that is some "cottage" indeed. See below for an idea to get "official" plastic playing time........

On 23/11/2016 at 1:56 PM, keefr22 said:

That's mild to what my Mrs disparagingly calls it...!!

Not mentioned it before,but we do have the spare room fully converted into a wartime themed pub this year as a bit of a tribute if you will

to both mine and Mrs M's relatives that served in one or the other.

We have a good bit of memorabilia,but more is always good.Sooooo.....................a couple of weeks ago.....

"Planes"exclaimed Mrs M,"We need models of wartime planes,what have you got that we can put in there?"

I duly turned up two Lancs that I'd built years before,an unbuilt Anson and an unbuilt old tool Blenheim....

"Not enough" she said,"Doesn't one of the budget supermarkets sell Airfix kits at this time of year?"

Quick as a flash"Oh yes,I think it's Aldi"quip I.

Swift Google check,yep,Aldi have starter kits in,off I go to our local five miles distant and return with two Spits,a Kittyhawk

and two Hurricanes^_^

And in answer to other expected questions,yes,we have two working pumps and can put beer on tap,working optics,

a "period"sound system for the essential 1940's swing big band music.........

I'd love to have you lot over for a few:cheers::drink::beer:,but I don't think Mrs M would quite approve of a mob of BM'ers(with a tall red head in tow)rolling up and demanding free beer:lol:

I think she'd be wanting a go of the afore mentioned red'ead's skillet again.:bangin:

Bong,ow.Bong,ow.

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

I was pretty good at that......

ET011_zpsa5c968e6.jpg

Go on.  You surprise me Debs :whistle: .....ducks;  conducts a self analysis of remark and use of emoticon for foolishness.  Concludes it might well be regarded as the remark etc. of a fool and decides to stay ducked.......

Not even going to think about going there meself Steeevo.....:D

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Miggers said:

I'd love to have you lot over for a few,but I don't think Mrs M would quite approve of a mob of BM'ers(with a tall red head in tow)

rolling up and demanding free beer:lol:

Why not? I'm sure Mrs M and I could have you 'orrible lot sorted out PDQ!

(PS Don't want beer but Uisce Beatha TYVM)

Then we could set the world to rights.

In fact, factor in Mrs F and (I reckon) you'd have an unstoppable force...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ascoteer said:

Why not? I'm sure Mrs M and I could have you 'orrible lot sorted out PDQ!

Then we could set the world to rights.

In fact, factor in Mrs F and (I reckon) you'd have an unstoppable force...

That's what us 'orrible lot'd be afraid of:lol:

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Ascoteer said:

Fortunately I never flew anything fast enough to warrant an armoured windscreen coupled with the fear of avian incursion into the flight deck...

Oh, ah, hmmm....

I smell a very,very,very minor fib there Miss Evans,I recall you mentioned something a tad like an over and under shotgun(cobblers,I can't access smilies on my phone);-)