A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

1 hour ago, perdu said:

the number 53 item looks to be totally symmetrical around the front vee shape in the middle so it ought to be reasonably easy to work the one side then flip it to cover the other side with a transparent layer

Advice taken Bill.  Half Traced:

Screen%20Shot%202017-10-09%20at%2016.09.

Flipped and then joined into one:

Screen%20Shot%202017-10-09%20at%2016.14.

So that's the outline for the front cockpit MDC done.

It's been educational......

I know that lots of BM'er are dab hands at CAD etc etc .  Not this one tho.....But getting better slowly.....:)

• Like 12

Looking good so far! I haven't tried any home cooked PE yet either, even though I bought the kit a couple of years ago. The only difficulty I can see would be the timing in the bath - this is going to be so thin that I would imagine it could easily be left in a fraction too long and dissolve through! 

Still, you'll have the artwork to do it with decals if that does happen!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's good, helps me feel useful

Though I knew you were with it anyway

Does look good

Can't wait to see the results of all this experimentation

Exciting times are with us...

• Like 1

Very nice Steve and the finished Hawks will look superb with all this work.                                                                                                                                At first I thought you were drawing a Rorscach card :smile:

Richard

(who has perhaps been too long in the mental health trade)

• Like 1

Course were still in 1/72.  That's half the fun :D

Ok so.

Experimental MDC artwork scaled to 1/72:

Screen%20Shot%202017-10-12%20at%2013.46.

At 100% they're less than 20mm long and the zig zags in the MDC are tiny - very tiny.  On reflection I think they are smaller/finer than the etch process (my home brew efforts anyway) can cope with.  The definition I can achieve just ain't that good.

But that's no reason not to crack on bull headedly as a test is it? :)

Here's a couple of piccies after the developing stage.  Like I thought -  the zig zags proved to be too small/fine and haven't reproduced all that well (but a bit better than I feared):

IMG_6654_zpsrv0btmi4.jpg

On the other side part of the rear MDC came off in the developing stage.  Have to say tho' that I was pleased and relieved that such thin lines (by and large) survived the UV exposure/developing.

IMG_6655_zpsuytl2eng.jpg 

And so to the etching........

Promising.  I did at least get the front and back artwork lined up accurately enough!  This is 0.003" brass btw.

IMG_6656_zpsgoox7cpv.jpg

And after stripping away the residual resist:

IMG_6664_zpsf6igisjz.jpg

And a few comparison shots against the Airfix supplied canopy (rescued from the junk box):

IMG_6668_zpsssn3ciih.jpg

IMG_6666_zpsp3a6cyoq.jpg

IMG_6667_zpscdcxfalq.jpg

I'm pleasantly surprised tbh.

A tad crude perhaps (although this is unforgiving macro of course) but a very gentle swipe with the diamond file might neaten things up a bit.   With a bit of refinement it might actually be doable.

As long as I can get the brass MDC to conform/stick to the inside of a home-brew vac canopy of course :)

I might try redoing the artwork with the zig zags rendered a tad rounder or overscale.

It's been fun so far tho'

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Leonl said:

aAre we still in 1/72??

Not sure anymore myself :frantic:  :frantic: 

Steve, as you say, considering the macro effect, the scale and all of that, the result is more than satisfactory :clap: The real point is about making it to conform to the canopy. My only attempt at reproducing a MDC was for my Harrier GR9A build, and I did it by bending a thin copper wire on top of the supplied decal copy and using tweezers. The wire itself bends much better than any flat PE, and even with that, conforming it to the canopy wasn't the easiest of things.

But since you proved me wrong already on the VGs, I'm sure you'll make it and it will be excellent, so I'll patiently wait to be proved wrong once more :)  :popcorn:

Ciao

1 hour ago, giemme said:

The real point is about making it to conform to the canopy. My only attempt at reproducing a MDC was for my Harrier GR9A build, and I did it by bending a thin copper wire on top of the supplied decal copy and using tweezers. The wire itself bends much better than any flat PE, and even with that, conforming it to the canopy wasn't the easiest of things.

I agree it may be tricky.  On My JP I used wire and I formed it to shape by pressing it over a resin male master of the canopy and I fixed it to the canopy with generous quantities of Klear.

I hope to do something similar with the etch here - by sandwiching it between a male canopy master and a spare vac canopy.  A problem to solve will be getting the etch to hold that shape - I'm not sure how practical it will be to anneal such thin bits of brass.

• Like 4

I used an etched MDC from Eduard on the inside of my Harrier FRS.1 kit, and it was fairly easy to get it to conform to the compound curves required. It retained the curvature nicely and I attached it to the inside of the canopy with Future. It's still there - hasn't fallen off yet.    :) 

I like your work on the homebrew MDC. With that and the vortex generators earlier, you've given me more reasons to invest in an etching set. My wife thanks you in advance for the caustic chemicals in the house! 

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Fritag said:

But that's no reason not to crack on bull headedly as a test is it? :)

Of Course it isn't Steve, and bully for you cos it's paid off (couldn't resist a Theodore Roosevelt type comment). If you suspect you'll have trouble reproducing the curvature (although I think you'll be okay using the methods you've proposed) then consider annealing - gentle heat over the stove to a nice cherry red, allowing to cool slowly should do the trick.

• Like 3

There is no reason for etch not to anneal nicely if you are careful and I/we all know you will be careful

edit because

well just because I am truly p.'d off with seductive text

(no matron don't think about it please)  :rage:

Edited by perdu
  • Haha 1

Taking it to the next level or what,  The student has become the master!

Just a case now of finding the limit in size you can get down to. 

A thought did occur to me a few days ago and if you have any darkroom stuff was maybe using 35mm black and white photographic film to photograph a big version of your artwork and scaling it such knowing that a 35mm frame on the negative is 36x24mm could be the way to ultra high definition artworks beyond what an inkjet can do.  Just sharing out aloud a random idea that I had.

All looking good Steve, keep it up

CT

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice work again Steve! (and although it's nowhere near as good, I do think that Airfix made a pretty good fist of their attempt!) 

If the brass should prove too thin to anneal, you could try rolling it gently with something like a round x-acto knife handle (always presuming you don't have proper p.e. rollers!) on something pliable like a mousemat. Pre-curvature may help it keep its shape when conforming to the inside of the canopy. Just a thought, never tried it!

Keith

• Like 4

...I foresee a...photo etched end to this thread!!!:lol::P

You got it right and the result is really promising!!! 

As you say, sticking it to the inside of the canopy may be tricky... I'd try by offering some money to convince it to stand still!!!!:lol:

In a perfect world, once removed the original one moulded to the canopy, you could dip it in Future first to avoid the clouds caused by ciano acrylate vapours and, once dry you should be able to use a bit of ciano acrylate to stop it in place and then dip it into Future again to "weld "them together.

But you probably have more experience than I have, so I'm sure you'll astound us with the final result!!!

I'll keep watching!:yes:

Oh but I do like your latest PE results there Steve.

It's  palpably :yahoo: to watch somebody push up against the limits of such materials like that and see how 'how far is too far'. 

Keep it up sir ...no that sounds all wrong...just keep on doing this sort of thing!:D

:thumbsup2:

Tony

• Like 1
  • Haha 1