A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

Great seats.  

I am not a riveter for hire; it's hard enough covering my own models with endless tiny silver bumps, let alone taling responsibility for someone else's masterpiece!

• Like 3

Lovely work on the seat. 

Was as your last Scotland pic taken near Ben Hope by any chance looks very familiar? And for the doubters, the weather is still like that today and currently +17 deg C ^_^

Eng

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I am not a riveter for hire;

You did say you had been job hunting though! I had heard that there is good money to be made at Telford doing favours for fellow modellers! (with apologies to Baldrick)

Martian

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, eng said:

And for the doubters, the weather is still like that today and currently +17 deg C ^_^

Hard to believe, but I take your word on that :D:D 

Here's been 26°C for a couple of days, now :coolio: 

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, eng said:

Was as your last Scotland pic taken near Ben Hope by any chance looks very familiar? And for the doubters, the weather is still like that today and currently +17 deg C

No - that one wasn't - it was taken not far from Drumbeg.  This one however was taken looking at Ben Hope a couple of days before :)  We walked over the top from Loch Eribol and down towards Loch Hope. 

IMG_6098_zpspd4nznp3.jpg

• Like 7

That is a very evocative picture, Steve :thumbsup: I can see why you keep going there (especially if the temperature is like Eng says, otherwise I'd be less sympathetic :D:D )

Ciao

Wow that last Scotland piccie looks superb. Somewhat evocative of Jean Baudrillard's book covers and visualisations of post-modernity, hyperreality and America. Honest it does I'm trying not to be pretentious. Anyroad, the build. Glad you're back Steve. Must admit those seats are looking the business and I like the wine foil technique too, nice and soft to work with, good scale thickness, and good fun to source the materials :P.  Mmm I feel in the interest of modelling research I should undertake a protracted course of testing - materials to be used, beer can foil, take-away foil, and wine foil. I'd better repeat the experimentation over and over Newton style so as to maintain a consistent result. Will take a while, but a worthy act of altruism for the modelling community hic...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Fritag said:

No - that one wasn't - it was taken not far from Drumbeg.  This one however was taken looking at Ben Hope a couple of days before :)  We walked over the top from Loch Eribol and down towards Loch Hope. 

IMG_6098_zpspd4nznp3.jpg

Absolutely stunning! Love the North west of Scotland, every change in weather or lighting and it looks so different but equally awe inspiring. Feel lucky to live only a few hours away. 

Anyway, will be back to following your Hawk progress 😉

Eng

• Like 1

On 16/05/2017 at 11:03 PM, eng said:

Absolutely stunning! Love the North west of Scotland, every change in weather or lighting and it looks so different but equally awe inspiring.

Completely agree :)  It's a 10 hour drive for us - so we often fly to inverness and get a hire car there.

Busy with work this week; but have now done an oil wash on all of the seats, painted the foil work (the two on the right are the ones with the solo flight aprons on) and given them a coat of matt varnish.  Just belts and final touches to go.

IMG_1110_zpss5ljteqz.jpg 

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 12

Thanks Giorgio - I've read with interest and not a little admiration you're figure threads.

After base coating the foil harness/apron I tried to bring the otherwise bland surfaces to life by blending in tiny dots of various colour oils - in particular yellow, red, black and white.  I'm pretty pleased with the finish - the photo has sort of captured it - but only ish.

Also - the white or colour balance on the photo is somewhat out - the harness looks quite brown when it's actually an olive green.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

I'm pretty pleased with the finish - the photo has sort of captured it - but only ish.

The more I look at them, the more I like them, Steve. In 1/72, those are four little great gems and you did an excellent detail painting job, which emphasizes the equally outstanding building job of those seats. Good thing the Hawk has such large canopies :)

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

Things of beauty, as I have so often said

That colour balance issue, obviously affects each of us's screens differently

We should encourage one of the several experts on here to give us "equalisation lessons"

Then maybe with the Histogram type charts we could all get to start from the same place 

I wish I could try oil dotting but I have to overcome a guerrilla resistance campaign about ordinary modelling, so oils might bring about my early demise

I can just hear it now

"No Miss Marple I do not have a clue how my Japanese kitchen knife ended up there."

• Like 3

I'm bored of ejection seats and I don't doubt you are too.....but before I could move on there was still the belts to do - which meant getting to grips again with the (to me) dreaded PE.

It would have been easier to use lead foil but I had a couple of the Eduard painted PE sets for there Finnish Hawk Mk51 - and there's just no way that painted foil could match the detail.  So...

The first two are finished and the second two aren't far behind.

In the following photo's the one on the left is the front seat and the one on the right the rear seat with the solo flight apron fitted.

The hardest thing was fitting the shoulder straps - which are invariably seen hanging from the head box on parked Hawks.  I nearly gave upon at one point - but a bike ride followed by a glass of wine revived morale enough to persevere :)

The straps on the solo flight apron are lead foil - with a couple of spare PE buckles.

IMG_1128_zpskvpetco1.jpg

IMG_1129_zpskvcczjwm.jpg

IMG_1130_zps7fglw7er.jpg

IMG_1131_zpsl5lnhd1d.jpg

So these two can go somewhere safe now.

I wasn't looking forward to doing the seats - glad it's nearly behind me now :)

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 15

44 minutes ago, Fritag said:

I'm bored of ejection seats and I don't doubt you are too.....

I, for one, am not bored at all. They look just splendid, two little masterpieces! :clap:  :clap: Now that I've seen them, I totally subscribe your idea of using photoetch - lovely detail!

Ciao

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Now that I've seen them, I totally subscribe your idea of using photoetch - lovely detail!

I wouldn't have been able to recreate the buckles and the 'L' shaped lugs that fit into the Martin Baker Quick Release Box (QRB) anywhere near as neatly trying to scratch the belts (let alone the stitching on the belts!). 

The downside is that I find it even harder to use the painted PE then the unpainted.

You can't anneal it cos of the painted finish - and so it's rather stiff and inflexible and it's hard work trying to make it take a belt-like shape.  And if you need to put a tightish bend on it the chances are the paint will try and flake off.  I find that I'm regularly sticking the paint back down with varnish :)

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 4

I feel your pain, pre-painted PE parts look great but are sometime a nightmare to work with. Belts in particular are troublesome, they look great on the sheet but using them is often very hard. There are moments when I feel that an old fashioned decal is still the best option... fortunately technology improves constantly and there are now other types of belts that seem to work pretty well

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Fritag said:

I wouldn't have been able to recreate the buckles and the 'L' shaped lugs that fit into the Martin Baker Quick Release Box (QRB) anywhere near as neatly trying to scratch the belts (let alone the stitching on the belts!). 

A solution that I would consider ideal, is to have the proper lugs an buckles in PE and scratch the belts from foil. I know there's something around about this, I recall having seen something for the ME109 or German WWII fighters in general, in that respect. Otherwise, I really appreciated the harness/chain as cast in the resin cockpits I used for my current build.

Ciao

• Like 1

Superb seats Steve - well up to the Fritag standard :)

The detail is just amazing (yes I did zoom in!) especially the bang handles. Great job.

• Like 1

I have to agree with Ced on the seats,I zoomed in also. It occurs to me that with those big head boxes and wearing a bone dome it must have been pretty difficult to look over your shoulder.

John 

• Like 2

Is it not odd that what can sometimes seem tedious to the person doing the job can yet be thoroughly engrossing to those watching? :D

Super seating Steve!

Tony

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Is it not odd that what can sometimes seem tedious to the person doing the job can yet be thoroughly engrossing to those watching? :D

Indeed, how could we be bored watching such gem like objects take shape?! Really marvellous work Steve, beating those p.e. belts into submission so well!

Keith

• Like 2