A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

Not much chance of a Fritag plan being wrong so I concur too

Yes it works nicely

(Glad you're sticking around too, you do tend to drift in and out of focus, you know, occasionally...)

• Like 1

This is beautiful work

Does surface tension work differently for you (and the others on this site who manage to do such intricate work)? I invariably get what Douglas Adams meaning of Liff termed a Toronto whenever I apply glue/paint/tears of despair 

• Like 2

On 4/13/2017 at 2:01 PM, Fritag said:

:lalala:  Didn't read that.  Don't want to know that.

I'll be looking at that thinking (as one is wont to do with a Bill build) how is it possible to be so precise and yet have it appear so effortless? And how did he get that paint finish? And why doesn't mine look like that ? etc etc :)

Me mum always said "Practice!"    :dog:

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Your work is exquisite. Seriously exquisite. 

• Like 1

Nicely done Steve. Very neat, a minor modification admittedly but when added to all the other stuff, it's quite a massive.

9 hours ago, Fritag said:

The Hawk pitot probe is (a) very prominent seeing as it stick out of the nose! and (b) very elegantly shaped and (c) probably impossible to replicate in 1/72 in plastic.  The only way to go really is one of these:

Air Master brass pitot probe

No need to replicate it, I'd say you've improved the Air Master version!

With a bit of faffing about and some careful application of cyano, both Hawks have their replacement pitot tube fairings.  Here's a mixture of piccies of the two:

f94f705bbe678eee622bcbe8deadb60f_zpsmzvu

8b27b78e8d3feedce7872321cbe0d289_zpsstsu

52536efdce7393336a902a9124abdfc4_zpsyzdr

e3e4e5433d7df8f6d6bc34b00a459ee9_zpsia3a

And a test fit of the Air Master pitot tube:

b2bee9dda715a6ea901dc5ef73992547_zpsretg

Pitot now safely back in its plastic bag till the end of the build.

I'm pleased with how neat the housing/fairings look at the this stage.  An improvement I think.

Altho'  I expect they'll need some touching up with Mr Surfacer after priming :)

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 19

27 minutes ago, hendie said:

so depressing... even the workbench is clean and tidy

:weep:

He probably has two, one just for pics! 🤐

Ian

• Like 4

18 hours ago, hendie said:

even the workbench is clean and tidy

Tidy? :hmmm:

676aad6a2318ccc70d7ac18dd69c3976_zpsggjy

18 hours ago, limeypilot said:

He probably has two, one just for pics! 🤐

I do have an old desk in the garage as well as it happens - on which a cheap spray booth resides for use when airbrushing smelly stuff like enamels or lacquers.   Does that count?  :)

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, giemme said:

In fact, that needs to be rephrased: it's super-tidy!!

Feel free to share a picture of your work space Giorgio.  Being Italian I'd expect something culturally significant and covered in graffiti :)

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 3

Yup, tidy! I won't count the garage one for spraying, I have one for that too, but I still end up working in about a 1' square at front centre.....

Ian

I've now got various little bits and bobs that I've cast or vac formed or otherwise fabricated and tried not to lose........

d7e070118c9d585ebe8679eecb2a4166_zpsydur

Dry fit of the coamings, primed seats, horizontal tailplanes (note to self need a row or two of rivets on the trailing edges of the tailplanes) and windscreen.

dcdb7c6504b486d080a21bc010ff1c6a_zpsjjyi

Beginning to think there may be a pair of Hawks in this pair of Hawks (if you see what I mean).

Probably time to work on the cockpit/seats again.......

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Beginning to think there may be a pair of Hawks in this pair of Hawks (if you see what I mean).

Absolutely. Looking glorious, can't wait to see them painted :Tasty:

Ciao

I thought they looked great a long time ago, but they keep getting better! They'll be spectacular WHEN they're finished......

Ian

11 hours ago, Fritag said:

Feel free to share a picture of your work space Giorgio.  Being Italian I'd expect something culturally significant and covered in graffiti :)

I'm afraid I'll have to disappoint you :shrug: It is quite ordinary - and rather messy, see for yourself:

sdr

sdr

And here's my spraying booth and my models display area, in my garage:

dav

Ciao

• Like 7

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:41 AM, Fritag said:

The%20Red%20Arrows-0330_zpsrdzp10hr.jpg

Steve, while it would be a pity to cover up those lovely exquisite pitots, have you considered adding a sheaf and one of those stripy RBF tags to one of the Hawks as per the piccie above? It would look the business.

Seeing your workspace there Steve brings home to me the wisdom of actually having a lid on your box of 'parts I'm waiting to use', a factor which has become abundantly clear in the last few days...

Tony

• Like 2