A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Ooohhh, if two of those happen to be looking for a new home in exchange for some beer tokens, I know of an early 'awk that will gladly give them a new home (one day!)

Keith

I was kinda hoping to get CT to Huddy and by sleight of hand misappropriate the buck for my own nefarious purposes while he was busily engaged in the beauties of said venue

Or the lassie selling coffee

Nefarious me, see

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

Welcome back Steve! Great to see the mojo killing problem sorted and a great post - riveting! (See what I did there? Oh, suit yourselves)

Have a good ski trip and for goodness sake don't break anything that stops you getting back to the bench :) 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I found this poor neglected little thread languishing on page 20 of the forum and thought it could do with a little dusting off…..

Sorry for her extended absence - it's been a busy start to the year.  I've been lucky enough to get away skiing twice and I've just come back from a short break in the Andalusia region of Spain and the corollary of these trips away is that I've been up to my eyeballs in work in between times - the upsides and downsides of self-employment :)   Oh - and the weather's been good for getting out cycling as well..... 

Anyways - IIRC (it seems a long time ago...) the last thing I did (after much faffing about) was to put HGW rivets on the rear fuselage.

The next job I wanted to get out of the way was to make the flaps.

The Hawk has slotted flags that hinge in the fairings below the wing.  They're not moulded separately by Airfix - which is not really surprising.

The flaps on the T1/T1A have two lowered settings; which IIRC are 25 degrees for take off and 50 degrees for landing.  Unfortunately for the poor modeller the Hawk is always parked with the flaps down and so some sort of attempt has got to be made to represent the lowered flaps.

Actually I have no memory at all of what setting the flaps are left after shut down - but an educated guess by looking at photo’s on the web and comparing parked/take off views is that they are left at full down rather than take-off and that's what I've gone for at the moment.

If any one out there knows better and can say that the flaps are left at the 25 degree/take off setting then feel free to let me know as it’ll be easy enough at the moment to adjust the angle :)

Ages ago I cut away the kit flaps and extended and reshaped them and cast resin copies:

IMG_0894_zpsctp5ypli.jpg

That was easy enough to do.  The next step was to add the slotted section.

I made the supports from 1mm strip glued into slots cut into the flap leading edge with a razor saw:

IMG_0954_zpsolhpbmbl.jpg

And set up a mini production line:

IMG_0957_zpstma21g8l.jpg

I cut the supports to size and shape:

IMG_0956_zps7rishor5.jpg

And made the slotted sections from some 1.5mm strip sanded to an airfoil section and then undercut using a trusty scraping gizmo.  It almost takes longer to explain it than to do it!:

IMG_0966_zpsbqamiobx.jpg 

And then that got glued to the supports.  Production line:

IMG_0959_zps0qmqi2bj.jpg

And first two off the line :):

IMG_0969_zpsjolewrjc.jpg

IMG_0951_zpsp25ldb9c.jpg

IMG_0948_zpskhkmkkgh.jpg

Easy enough to fix the rear flap hinge fairings at the required angle using a simple jig (and to alter the angle if need be):

IMG_0932_zpsx4lt6wpg.jpg

And the first flap dry fitted:

IMG_0962_zpsipl8jy88.jpg

And two dry fitted:

IMG_0977_zpscpk4wqr5.jpg

IMG_0976_zpszm9u2epq.jpg

I'm not going to fix the flaps in place yet.  I'll do so after final priming - and possibly even after painting.  When I do fix them in place I can fiddle and fettle a little to get the position as good as can be.

I'm pleased to have found some time and made a little progress....On second thoughts I haven't been looking forward to doing the flaps, so it may be a biggish step forward.  Must try and maintain a bit of momentum now..........

Steve

• Like 24

Great to see you back Steve and with the usual modest posting of excellent modelling skills - those flaps look amazing.

Welcome back!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fritag said:

(it seems a long time ago...)

It was....!!

Thirded on the welcome back Steve, & many thanks indeed for that most excellent dropped flaps tutorial. I've got a Hawk or four that will one day need such things, & despite having dozens of pics I've specifically taken at airshows as reference for the work, I was still struggling to work out the exact configuration of the things. All is now clear! 

Great to see these little gems under way again!

Keith

Glad to see you back at this, Steve :thumbsup:  :winkgrin: 

Usual excellent craftsmanship on those flaps :worthy: looking forward to more progress :coolio:  :whistle: 

Ciao

• Like 1

Sexted......

Not sure if that's appropriate so double ellipsesed

Any way, yes its nice weather...

And in other news

We have miracle flaps to enjoy!

Great to have you back, I wondered if you'd wandered away but now we've got your attention can we discuss the starboard flap?

Is the trailing edge curved on your monitor or is it just me as usual? :(

Really good to have you home mate

Tomo beat me to it, but I was was going to post up Hello Hello, I'm Back Again, but decided it was a bit un-PC

Strange how excited a mortal can get when the gods add to the greater understanding

Far more delicate than the PP offering if memory serves

Box On

Strickers

• Like 1

Indeed, welcome back! It must be a tough life, what with all that skiing....

The flaps look fabulous, looking forward to more in the near future!

Ian

• Like 1

@Tomoshenko - You get the prize for hyperbole and making me laugh Tom :giggle: - But having only just this morning caught up with your Lancaster build and marvelled over that rear turret - I'm just happy that you're interested enough to stop by have a peek.

Mind you the same sentiment goes for the rest of you chaps too - bloomin' high standard of work on BM at the mo.   Every one a winner - it crossed my mind to let the hawks fade unfinished into history.......:rolleyes:

8 hours ago, keefr22 said:

& despite having dozens of pics I've specifically taken at airshows as reference for the work, I was still struggling to work out the exact configuration of the things. All is now clear! 

Yep it's not easy to figure it out from scratch is it.  I did the Hawk ground school and hundreds of walk-around checks on the wee beast and I still sat puzzling over various photos for a while.  I'm confident now that I've got it right - down to the correct number and (within reason) position of the supports for the little flaplets.

7 hours ago, giemme said:

looking forward to more progress :coolio:  :whistle: 

Me too. Got two more flaps to finish off first tho.....

6 hours ago, perdu said:

We have miracle flaps to enjoy!

Great to have you back, I wondered if you'd wandered away but now we've got your attention can we discuss the starboard flap?

Is the trailing edge curved on your monitor or is it just me as usual? :(

Really good to have you home mate

Cheers Bill.

I think the apparent curve is a function of the macro photography with the iPad.  There trailing edges are straight as a ruler - honest guv:

IMG_0999_zpsgwf8er2a.jpg

But keep those peepers peeled Bill.  I'll have need of your input when it comes to getting the curves right on the paint job on the Valley Hawk - you saved me on the JPs remember!

5 hours ago, HAMP man said:

Far more delicate than the PP offering if memory serves

The FP white metal flaps have the flaplets moulded into the front of the flaps - so there's no slot to be seen.  It's a big improvement over the kit and a more than acceptable solution bearing in mind the limits of moulding etc.  - But well - you know - it just seemed possible to do a bit better than that......

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Indeed, welcome back! It must be a tough life, what with all that skiing....

Don't get me started Ian.  A week of bright weather and compacted, fast pistes at Alpbach (skied with some old RAF chums and a couple of semi-retired ski instructors and following the lines of those two at speed down some compacted steep black runs was eye opening) and then the following months some lovely fresh powder at chamonix.......

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 4