A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

Well, looks like you've been busy with this! :clap:

PE as a scribing template looks perfectly fine to me too :thumbsup:

Great job on the vac formed coaming and on the filling; what kind of plastic sheets have you been using for the vac-forming?

Ciao

Ta Giorgio. Not sure exactly what the plastic is - beyond being labelled as sheet styrene. 'fraid it's just what the local model shop had in stock. Not very scientific.....

• Like 1

Nice little update Steve, and the extra work on the vents, coving, panel thingies is looking good. Reckon your plan of action is spot on to use the etch as a scribing template.

There's a good close up of the grills on Hawkkeepers own walkaround:

Ive been trying to find that walk around for the last couple of days, have you a link to it?

CT - I've stolen enough ideas from you - so feel free :)

Oh and I'll probably be picking your brains in due time - cos I'm thinking of trying to make the canopy MDC out of so home brew PE :)

Sure no prob fire away when ready. (I can see the Hasegawa jag being ditched in favour of a pure brass one when you get into home brew PE malarky)

CT

Ta Giorgio. Not sure exactly what the plastic is - beyond being labelled as sheet styrene. 'fraid it's just what the local model shop had in stock. Not very scientific.....

Thanks Steve :thumbsup: That's what I wanted to know, actually, plus one more thing: thickness of said sheet, please?

Ciao

Oh and I'll probably be picking your brains in due time - cos I'm thinking of trying to make the canopy MDC out of so home brew PE :)

I've been thinking of doing some home brew PE too. Everything is on my ebay list (has been for months) - just need to pull the trigger.

All looks fantastic! Totally agree with how you replicated the vent (Eduard's demands are sometimes ridiculous), the instrument coaming is a touch of class too! Like I said, maybe 30 pages ago :winkgrin: , really look forward to when you paint these and to which colours you will use :popcorn:

Cheers,

David.

After seeing a hawk come straight off the Malverns and do I high speed pass followed by a flick on its side and a hard turn back round (my little girl was over the moon followed by angry as she was too busy watching it to take a picture with my phone the little begger had pinched for 'walk photos') I was inclined to drop in and see your progress.... 70 pages! I had my work cut out, at my last check I think it was 40....anyway, up to date now and it's looking brilliant, your unrelenting attention to the little details along with amazing anecdotes from you and everyone else make this thread a splendid read.

Cracking work

Rob

I have had no response from my pet photographer, but it looks as though others have come up trumps. Oh, that reminds me I have received nothing back from my Flt Cdr friend on 100 Sqn re: rear seat apron. Seems I am all talk and no action, sorry about that.

• Like 1

'Undred mile cycle ride,'undred mile cycle ride :blink2: :blink2: :blink2: :blink2:

Think you need to having a bit of a word with Mem Sahib Friday :wall::deadhorse: Steven my boy ;);) .

My chosen tactic is not to mention it - and hope the thought just goes away.

I've spent a bit of time on the hawks over the past couple of days - but nothing eye-catching progress wise.

I cut out all 3 of the front coaming vac-pulls and so have 2 and a spare. I'll use the 2 that look best after final shaping/scribing/painting.

Here's a quick dry fit of the vac-pulled front coaming in-situ along with a dry fit of the rear coaming. This that have endured this thread for a while may recall that I scratched a rear cockpit coaming some time ago and made a few resin casts:

221f07ba2a27e5613fbacd5c34ef543f_zpsawnl

d2ec160e692346887bc2265152e41b69_zpsdmag

Otherwise I've been putting in some time with Mr Surfacer 500 and 1000 and lots of fine-grit sanding/micromeshing to get the wing/fuselage joints satisfactory. Time consuming bit hopefully worth it in the long run. Nearly, but not quite, there now:

32183a4c94f5585d86aa9dfe9191f0d7_zps5vcd

Not much to show - but small steps forward :)

• Like 17

I had totally forgotten about the rear cockpit coaming :coolio: Small steps forward, as you say, but you're getting very close to the painting stage now :Tasty:

Let's just hope this 100 miles bike frenzy doesn't get too much in the way ... :analintruder:

Ciao

it's those small steps, which as you say, are hardly noticeable now, that make all the difference in the end.

you must have a really good "safe place" to be able to find the coamings after so long. My "safe place" is about as effective as my wife tidying up (couldn't find my boots on my way out to work yesterday after she'd tidied !)

Looking more hawk like everyday, front coaming fits well. :)

Going back to NACA ducts I've tried the branding them on with a hot piece of brass rod method this weekend with good results. Im going to start a thread in the next few days for my Raspberry Ripple Hawk with the technique on I've also got a cunning plan for the vortex generators too just need to perfect lining them up, Nearly able to get then in a straight line not quite got them Coldstream Guard straight yet.

CT

• Like 4

Finally caught up since around page 40, it has made quite an interesting hour catching up on all that progress! Mightily impressed with those intakes, they do look very nice. I have been beaten into submission with soldering (albeit poorly), and looking at the vac forming I could be beaten into submission with that too (<$200 off amazon for a dental vac!). Looking forward to seeing this evolve further and i'll try not to leave it so long until my next visit!

Bob

• Like 1

Finally caught up since around page 40, it has made quite an interesting hour catching up on all that progress! Mightily impressed with those intakes, they do look very nice. I have been beaten into submission with soldering (albeit poorly), and looking at the vac forming I could be beaten into submission with that too (<$200 off amazon for a dental vac!). Looking forward to seeing this evolve further and i'll try not to leave it so long until my next visit!

Bob

Bob - look further - they're available on Amazon for $99

Going back to NACA ducts I've tried the branding them on with a hot piece of brass rod method this weekend with good results. Im going to start a thread in the next few days for my Raspberry Ripple Hawk with the technique on I've also got a cunning plan for the vortex generators too just need to perfect lining them up, Nearly able to get then in a straight line not quite got them Coldstream Guard straight yet.

Now that is music to my ears CT. I can't now use Silvano's technique of thinning the plastic and backing the ducts from within - cos I've closed up the fuselages :bangin: - and anyway I'm not sure I could match his skill at it :), so I was planning to try the brass rod method myself (hendie has got it to work well on his Lysander foot holes) - so a classic CT demo is just what's required.

Ditto with the vortex generators.

I warn in advance that any cunning plan - especially if it's as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University - is liable to be copied..........

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 7

Bob - look further - they're available on Amazon for $99

That'll be US$ I would be paying the slightly weaker CA$, and then add postage, import tax, sales tax and tax tax, and we are heading upwards. I think it may do as an early Crimbo pressy :pray: , what's to do with all the balls in it by the way?

• Like 2

'those that have endured this thread' - excuse me sir I think we have all enjoyed it, and learned much along the way

And it's not (quite) over yet!

Looking forward to the remainder

Cheers

Geoff

• Like 2

Looking good Steve.

Message to Mrs Friday: Bicycling is really bad for life surviveability (and not very good for male virility [although at our age I'm not sure that is a concern any more ;) ]).

There is a (IMHO a rather good) Facebook page called: "Be Like Debs" : https://www.facebook.com/Be-like-Debs-1501939250113059/?fref=ts

Be like Debs...

Take the bloody car!

Debs

• Like 7

So - as I liked the look of the vac formed front coaming it got me thinking again about the rear coaming. The advantage of vac forming is scale-like thinness to the coaming and the advantage of resin is the ease of reproducing the lumps and bumps on the front of the rear coaming.

Anyways. I filed all the lumps and bumps off one of my spare resin cast a to make a male master:

810fb931e61c08dc1b97130873ad89a8_zpsfkta

And made a few vac pulls using the dental vac machine. Here in various stages of being cleaned up. I do like the crisp thin look:

468f74c74486ef817bd4c0159f5c8ee8_zps8kbp

A vac formed coaming alongside a resin one (should have taken one to show the rear view as well). I can easily add the lumps and bumps to the front of the vac form - partly just by cutting em off a resin copy and sticking em in place :)

c6f7790c68c8173c76ef9fc611fb5545_zpsbsua

And a couple of views in situ. It's a good fit and quite neat and tidy.

e021fd00e8214e72724350649707a6a6_zpsvc7w

74c56ff62ed640f6f8aafa505e83044f_zpsdwyi

I think now that I prefer the look of the vac formed version to that of the resin. Still - I s'pose I didn't entirely waste my time in making and casting the resin I ones........

Gratuitous picture of the resin masters and vac's of the front and rear coamings:

428ac84d4b065aed0acd3a4b8b6accaf_zpsubdi

Steve

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 11