A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

Awwsim (is that the right pronunciation?)

I think with a British accent the best way to approximate the American "awesome[, dude]" is to add a subtle h sound before the a. "hAwwwsum." Try it, and impress your friends! I base this off of thirty-two years trapped in the midwest, an area of America so American that we regard both coasts as foreign countries and plan on invading them as soon as possible.

• Like 2

I tried the enunciation, exercise, but with a broad South Wales valleys accent I sounded like I had Tourettes!

Steve, Don't the flap undercuts correspond to the four panels on the upper face of the wing, and could you just remove this section and replace with a suitable scale thickness piece of card ?

Just a thought.

Regards

Strickers

• Like 3

Steve, Don't the flap undercuts correspond to the four panels on the upper face of the wing, and could you just remove this section and replace with a suitable scale thickness piece of card ?

Yes they do Strickers, although the undercut or overhang itself is less than half the chord wise depth of the panels.

I thought about cutting out the panels and substituting 0.3mm or even 0.2mm plastic card - and even had a practice. But I decided that the benefit in easily achieving a nice fine thickness at the rear of the wing was outweighed by the hassle of trying to preserve or recreate a nice consistent finish on the top of the wing :)

Fare dews butt, yewda fink off heavree fing! (in your best Welsh accent)

Well if it was easy everyone would be doing it

Progressing smoothly

Regards

Strickers

Flippin' 'eck. Spent about five pages worth playing catch-up on these. Worth it though. So, to sum up what I've learned lately; not only did Fritag get to tear about in fast jets, not only can he build amazingly well detailed 72nd scale models of said jets, he can also bake a chocolate cake that makes women go weak at the knees from 3 counties away. Git :badmood:

Nah, seriously, :goodjob:

• Like 2

Eyup tha needs to get t' County Palatine of Lancaster for proper phonetics. The place where all the words of a sentence are rolled together into one long'n.

For example

Sentences like 'Have the refuse collectors been yet mother'. becomes 'Astdustbinmenbinmom'.

or 'You will have to acquire several better ones' = 'Thallarragerralorragooduns'

Who says dialects are dying out. They are alive and well in Fritag's thread.

All this fun and modelling too. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Hi, Steve,

Hmm, very very nice post on the hawks. I like the use of the arrows and graphic's, of which I would like to see more of. Yeah its the skill of making that AIRFIX hawk into a little jewel that counts.

I look forward to more on this.

PHIL.

PS who is Mr Nimrod54...is that the fine chap who was building a 1/48 resin Halifax?

Who says dialects are dying out. They are alive and well in Fritag's thread.

I haven't got much of a dialect myself.

I thought I'd lost my Essex accent cos of the years of living elsewhere. Seems not tho'....

Several years back I got hold of my RAF file under the Freedom of Information Act.

First section is 18 years old Fritag's undistinguished progress thro' Officer training at Cranwell.

Almost the first entry goes something along the lines of "nice enough young lad....got a terrible home counties accent which he must try hard to lose......"

Almost the last entry goes something along the lines of "nice enough young lad....has worked hard and lost his terrible home counties accent......"

I didn't achieve much at Cranwell - but I guess that's something........

My Mum (who had a very strong Essex accent till the day she died bless her) was unimpressed when I showed her the file.......

I don't suppose they worry about such stuff now........In fact they're probably not even allowed to mention it.

D'ya think I could sue em?

Spent about five pages worth playing catch-up on these.

Did I see over on your Lightning thread Col that modelling had to be interrupted for cycling? Must be rather hilly up there?

Which brings me back to a mini update on the Hawks - on which work to day was delayed by a 40 mile ride (see how I did that link........? Sad ain't it. Specially as I strongly suspect that Col is seasoned cyclist who does 40 miles just as a warm up ).

More production line stuff to cut the lower wing flap openings to the correct shape:

6F299F27-2D9F-41FC-A596-4BC111981BCF_zps

Used Dymo tape and a scriber in an effort to get a nice clean starlight line.

Needed to lengthen the flaps to fit in the extended flap bays. I decided to glue in extensions from a spare bit of flap. Used my mitre box to cut the joints at 45 degrees to get more surface area to glue. I'll run a bit of cyano along it to act as a filler:

F442915A-2F6F-45D5-9DE0-F32D7F7ECD65_zps

Improvised aid to sand the front edges of the flaps square:

F5349AC0-B2F7-4C7B-9FED-BC18FEFF3572_zps

To make a good surface to glue in some plastic strip to widen the flaps ready to be sanded to shape;

8C7BB1D4-C0BE-4D66-9345-DD0E5FF1FD5D_zps

Not much but it's summat..........

Nice gluey fingerprint on one of them flaps.......

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 8

Well, you should know...!! :bleh::D

Which brings me back to a mini update on the Hawks - on which work to day was delayed by a 40 mile ride (see how I did that link........? Sad ain't it. Specially as I strongly suspect that Col is seasoned cyclist who does 40 miles just as a warm up ).

It takes all my energy to drive 40 miles these days!

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who still imprints gluey fingerprints on bits of his model!!

keith

• Like 3

Now why didn't I think of that?

probably because I ain't in the top 1% of the top 1%, but I will stand on the shoulders of giants.

I biked up Alp D'huez last year, wasn't even out of puff at the top, but the bike needed topping up when I got back down.

Regards

Strickers

• Like 4

Did I see over on your Lightning thread Col that modelling had to be interrupted for cycling? Must be rather hilly up there?

Well if there is a case you're in the right profession ;)

Aye I do like getting out on the bike. Got a few to choose from due to being a 'seasoned cyclist' (is that a nice way of saying weather-beaten and gnarly?) but today it was the time-trial bike due to a local event. 23:09 for 10 miles in case anyone is interested. Not a great time but a sticky day with rough road surface and a good hill in the middle. That and a lack of training or talent is about all the excuses I can offer there. Plus a 30 mile round trip there and back to warm up and down :D Living in the shadow of the Grampians and within cycling distance of the Cairngorm National Park means there ain't much flat bits round here, then again you'll know that from flinging a Jag through the valleys down a bit from Lossiemouth Steve, so cycling involves plenty gears or plenty legs

Oh, by the way, nice flaps. Not the first time I've used that line but certainly the first time in this context... Ever visit Joanna's during your time at Lossie?

Edited by Col.
  • Like 4

Several years back I got hold of my RAF file under the Freedom of Information Act.

First section is 18 years old Fritag's undistinguished progress thro' Officer training at Cranwell.

Almost the first entry goes something along the lines of "nice enough young lad....got a terrible home counties accent which he must try hard to lose......"

Almost the last entry goes something along the lines of "nice enough young lad....has worked hard and lost his terrible home counties accent......"

Whilst on METS I happened across my Form 5000 (OK I was Duty Stude and went looking for it before locking up the Sqn).

Reading it was a huge mistake! It almost put me off flying for life!

For the non RAF types, a Form 5000 is th formal record of everything you do as a pilot: Training, Catagorizations, Qualifications. Basically it records all the bad stuff in interminable attention to minute and miniscule detail - paragraph after paragraph of it. Any good stuff is generally recorded as a one liner, if at all.

• Like 3

Good idea about getting a starlight line Steve ;)

"Used Dymo tape and a scriber in an effort to get a nice clean starlight line."

Wish I knew what to do with one though :)

I bet this is iPhone related confluxation

But seriously guys, can you knock it off with them "healthy" positive vibes you men

Biking all up and down corries and glens :eek:

Almost makes me pine for Pen Y Fan and its been a blooming long time since I pined for the Fan, I'll tell ye

Anyway I will rejoice the first time I don't get blimmin' thumbprints all over the important bits

Oh Lordy...personal files...don't EVER demand to see them ! It will destroy you...mine read 'A menace to society..recommendation...30 years hard labour without the possibility of parole''. Wouldn't normally mind but I was working at the sharp end of that most treasured of things the Health Service at the time !

• Like 3

...... but today it was the time-trial bike due to a local event. 23:09 for 10 miles in case anyone is interested. Not a great time but a sticky day with rough road surface and a good hill in the middle. That and a lack of training or talent is about all the excuses I can offer there. Plus a 30 mile round trip there and back to warm up and down :D

...... Ever visit Joanna's during your time at Lossie?

I'm interested - and I reckon that's impressive - especially with a good hill in the middle........

Col doing his Wiggo stretched out on his time trial bike........

As to Joanna's. If that's the club in Elgin suggested by my google search - the answer is that I have absolutely no memory of the place. Trouble is that given the alcohol induced fog that covers a fair part of the 'downtime' from that period it just doesn't answer the question :)

Good idea about getting a starlight line Steve ;)

"Used Dymo tape and a scriber in an effort to get a nice clean starlight line."

I bet this is iPhone related confluxation

iPad :)

...mine read 'A menace to society..recommendation...30 years hard labour without the possibility of parole''. Wouldn't normally mind but I was working at the sharp end of that most treasured of things the Health Service at the time !

Those sound like the words of a reporting officer with a sense of humour (I say nothing as to that person's insight into human nature). Select juicy highlights. Scan. Upload to photobucket or preferred alternative. Share.

In other less important news - it took me the rest of the evening session (sounds like a test match) to finish (more or less) shaping one flap:

48346912-89FF-4C30-9A23-0C6DFE227245_zps

AB4FBAB9-AAF0-41B2-9C67-481F7D151B25_zps

Not looking forward to doing 3 more.

I wonder If I should just produce one as near perfect as I can and then cast them in resin?

• Like 9