RAF 2018 retro schemes

Truro Model Builder

Thinking about this a bit, the RAF did paint a Hawk in 19 sqd. marks and green and brown. Plus the desert coloured Tucano with spurious codes RA-F so why not do a lot more for the 2018 anniversary.

The main problem, as I see it, is that those were one-offs and were supported/sponsored by industry in terms of materials and labour. The RAF no longer paints its own aircraft so any special colour scheme has to be done by contractors, with the associated costs that the arrangement entails. The days when such work would be done by airmen in their spare time are long gone. I fear that, for all the wonderful ideas we are coming up with, the most we will likely see are a few special tail fins and some ghastly corporate 'RAF 100' logo stuck on a handful of aircraft.

I agree with the writer above. Contractors will be a problem.

One is reminded of the 50th anniversary in 1968. Who remembers Flt Lt Pollock and the effort he went to because of a lack of celebrations in 1968. I think we will face the same kind of response for budgetary and other reasons.

I had written painting yellow Grob Tutors loke former training aircraft but you can't have them anything but white. They would've entered service in the black scheme like the Bulldog left with but for the excess heat this caused the airframe in summer.

I had written painting yellow Grob Tutors loke former training aircraft but you can't have them anything but white. They would've entered service in the black scheme like the Bulldog left with but for the excess heat this caused the airframe in summer.

You can have them a different (light) shade I believe - you just have to order it. And no one ever has.

Silver with yellow bands could be a reality on its replacement...

True.

Martin Withers and Bob Tuxford of the Black Buck missions should certainly get some recognition.

Withers got a DFC and Tuxford the Air Force Cross for their actions in those missions.=

Indeed - that said I was still referring to the VC winners who never get a sideways mention, as their deeds are not in popular culture or they didn't survive the war; Bob Palmer, Cyril Barton, Ian Bazagette, George Thompson etc.