Flying Dustbin

06/24

16618076358_88489cc66a_c.jpgPSC Churchill AVRE by jongwinnett, on Flickr

The boxing enables a variety of versions to be built (with more or less accuracy)

16618084248_cfc4f2ddf0_c.jpgPSC Churchill AVRE by jongwinnett, on Flickr

16598372827_ccb55ff1c7_c.jpgPSC Churchill AVRE by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Less than fifteen minutes is all it takes to get to this point. If you are a war gamer, I imagine these easy build kits are a godsend

16618279180_e12b781a8e_c.jpgPSC Churchill AVRE by jongwinnett, on Flickr

16185734603_8274cb973c_c.jpgPSC Churchill AVRE by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 2

At this stage everything is only dry fitted, since I want to lift this from its slightly toy like origins.

Changes I'm considering are:

- replace co driver hatch with sliding mortar loading hatch

- drill out mortar barrel and add lugs, or replace with tube

- add avre fittings to side skirts

Suggestions welcome. The tracks are poor, and I have contemplated getting a Dragon boxing to use for detail spares, rather like the IBG carrier supplied detail parts for my PSC Universal Carriers. Since a full run of track is not needed, could I replace the more visible sections with Dragon track. Alternatively, I'm wondering if I coudl fake some track detail with paint.

PS I know I've fitted the commander's hatch the wrong way round!

Hi Jon,

Good to see the rapid progress on this one. I'll be interested to see how this one looks when finished as I've seen a couple of PSC kits locally. I've looked at the boxes but not yet been tempted.

Looking good so far.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

I think that the carriers are their best work, especially as the Loyd isn't readily available elsewhere. (Notwithstanding Milicast, who don't really feature of the radar for casual modellers such as myself), but the Firefly is well worth a look given the relative scarcity of Dragon examples. In value for money terms the PSC kits do pretty well, there being three Shermans in a box, and even these two Churchills cost about the same as one Dragon kit. They are a solid base for further detailing, without any of the trepidation that might come with cutting up an expensive kit. I have a pipe dream that they might produce some soft skins, maybe a trio of Bedford tricks say. The Airfix ones are nice, the IBG a bit crude by example. Something quick to build that sat between them in detail terms might be ideal.

I would steer clear of the M4A1 though, as reviews suggest it is well over scale.

• Like 1

Hi Jon. The extra detailing work you are doing is really paying dividends - it really is going to take the model to the next level! Lovely stuff.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Kind words, thank you. It's been fun, although the black brackets took several attempts! That's it pretty much finished in terms of additions. I want to open up the second hatch space in the turret, look again at the inside returns at the front of the track runs, and add some hatch handles and some stuff around the rear plate, and a few other wee bits like that, but the bulk of the work is done. Might do the second one the same, but not this week!

Alternatively I might try to add a bridge, I wonder if the matchbox / revell boxing could be stretched to fit? Or a bobbin roller?

• Like 1