Recommendations for an acrylic matt varnish?

Raven Morpheus

Hello

I'm in need of some recommendations for a good acrylic matt varnish that won't give my models a frosted look when I airbrush it on...

Today I put down the final matt coat on my 1/48 Revellogram UH-1 Huey and it has frosted on me, I plan to remedy that by either doing another layer of Future (but then I'll need a decent matt varnish to use anyway) or by rubbing on a very very thin layer of olive oil (a trick I learnt from elsewhere on the web and have used before when the frosting occurs).

It wasn't particularly humid in my part of the UK today so I can't put it down to humidity being the cause, which is widely acknowledged to be the case, so I suspect it's the varnish itself...

I've had this happen on a few occasions now, and I've had it happen with Vallejo Model Air acrylic matt varnish (which is what I used today) and Humbrol rattle can matt varnish so I'm on the hunt for an alternative.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be welcome?

TIA

Edited by Raven Morpheus

I use Winsor & Newton Galeria matt varnish. It is available in most art shops or on the internet. Dilute it with about 20% water and mist it on with a number of coats. It works perfectly and leaves a very smooth matt surface.

• Like 3

I second Enzo's suggestion,

I've been using Winsor and Newton Galeria Matt Varnish and Satin Varnish, they are both excellent products, they airbrush really well, like Enzo says you can dilute it down with a bit of water and it leaves a nice smooth matt surface.

It's not too expensive either.

Rich

• Like 1

I found a 75ml bottle on evilbay for about £5 inc. postage, couldn't find anything cheaper when I looked earlier).

That seems a reasonable price. Check out any local art shops where you can get it a bit cheaper because you don't pay postage.

That 75ml bottle will last you some time.

That seems a reasonable price. Check out any local art shops where you can get it a bit cheaper because you don't pay postage.

That 75ml bottle will last you some time.

Unfortunately my "local" art shop is 11 -16 miles away (depending on if I go East or South from the town I reside in), and as I don't drive that'll cost me at least £5 to get there!! Poxy UK public transport in North Essex!

Anyhow I received today my 75ml bottle of W&N Galeria Matt Varnish and holy cow Batman!!

I thinned it by roughly 20% as suggested by one of you guys in this thread and it sprayed beautifully and dried perfectly, no frosting, quick drying time and a nice matt finish.

That stuff is fantastic!

Many thanks for the recommendation guys.

Edited by Raven Morpheus
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have used Warhammer Purity Seal before - not sure how its viewed by others. Seems to give quite a good even finish if some paints don't all dry to the same finish. I also have some old formula Johnsons Klear - not sure which would be best really, or whether to go with the recommendations above - any views?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't own an airbrush so I'm restricted to rattle cans. I have experienced the same frosting problems with Humbrol Acrylic Matt Varnish but, it seems to depend on what I am spraying on to - as if there is a chemical reaction between the varnish and the paint on the model. However, I now use Vallejo water based acrylic matt varnish (not to be confused with Vallejo Model Air varnish.. Absolutely no problems with it. Comes in big 400ml cans too which last a long time.

ALLAN

Windsor and Newton Galeria, excellent for spraying and gives a very good matt effect on top of a gloss coat

Just bought some but not used it yet. Do you thin it or use it 'neat'?

Edit: Sorry, just read the thread again... Thin 20%, flow improver, got it, thanks.

• 7 months later...

Regards the W&N Galeria Matt Varnish, is this ok to use over the top of Klear?

Don't want to apply my decals, varnish over and there's some horrid reaction!

Yes this works fine, you can thin the W&N a little with normal acrylic thinners or water so it sprays better

• Like 2

Regards the W&N Galeria Matt Varnish, is this ok to use over the top of Klear?

That's the way I use it. Just dilute the Galeria slightly and spray in very thin coats.

Yes this works fine, you can thin the W&N a little with normal acrylic thinners or water so it sprays better

'ere! I just said that! :D

Edited by Enzo Matrix
  • Like 1