A sting in the tail, OMG what am I letting myself in for!

I have had this in my stash for many years, it was once started and got partly assembled and even had the first coat of (incorrect) blue. It was then put aside and left to fester. I was then browsing the web (as you do) and came across some fine pictures of a wasp. This got me thinking as I do like the look of this ungainly beast. I originally thought of building up a 1:72 Airfix Scout which is also languishing in my stash but thought the work would be too great especially on my poor eyes and the conversion set is $$$$$$$$ and in my opinion not that great. Then I remembered I had this monster. The Fujimi Wasp!

I think the kit is slightly underscale (1:50 has been quoted). That won’t bother me too much as most of the building will be according to the Mk 1 eyeball. I shall use the proportion of the kit to gauge how big things should be (I currently have a vision of something akin to Homer Simpsons car design as an end result!). I have some good references about on the web and a decent walk around on this site, also there are numerous references for the scout which will provide assistance for the engine, gearbox and rotor head area. I have a shed load of plastic sheet available and I have a feeling I shall be using most of it!

So onto which Wasp? My late father served on HMS Minerva in the 70’s alongside Prince Charles so I thought this would be a good start. It will be XT788 (424) of the ships flight around 1973 when they were deployed to the med and Caribbean. Unfortunately I am on the wrong side of the Atlantic to get access to my dad’s photo albums but I think there is enough on the web to see me right.

Now I am not aware of any aftermarket decal sets for a 1:48ish Wasp so if anyone knows any different let me know, but in the mean time I shall have to make it up as I go along.

So what have I got to start with? I managed to split the parts apart without too much damage. The basic kit is not too bad in shape and basic detail on the fuselage. Here she is post splitting, I forgot to take a shot of here in her former (not so) glory. I did get one modification right on my original build. I moved the cyclic stick to a better position as opposed to being out by the quarter light. You can see the original hole below, that would have caused some flight control problems!

100_3311_zps3ljbp0mp.jpg

And the remaining in the box

100_3315_zpsftzgrrtm.jpg

Most of the original plastic is useable

I have no idea what is going on with this center console. It has no real resemblance to err anything! The floor is also covered in some sort of non skid pattern which is also wrong.The seats will have to go as well, although I shall use the rough size and shape to gauge the scratch built items. Not sure about the block of lego on the back!

100_3312_zpsjahmttfq.jpg

So starting off it’s a new floor and a new console from plastic card. The console is roughly assembled and needs a bit of tarting up.

100_3309_zpscx46dhb3.jpg

100_3310_zpsm5sqwve5.jpg

Just as an insight into what lays ahead this is the engine:

100_3313_zpss9owqdkk.jpg

and the gear box and transdeck area:

100_3314_zps7ry62yge.jpg

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Next up will be to do each individual panel on the centre conlsole with various switches and knobs. Lets see how this goes!

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 2

Ha! Good to see some old classic plastic being made properly in this day of 'shake the box' kits. Looking at your parts (especially the engine etc) reminds me why I sold my copy of this kit at a club swap meet a decade ago. :D

I'll follow along, just to see what sort of silk purse can be made from this old leather knapsack.

Ooh, that engine is nasty! One day someone might issue a modern moulding of the mighty Wasp... but I'm not holding my breath...

Looking forward to watching this develop

Ooh, that engine is nasty! One day someone might issue a modern moulding of the mighty Wasp... but I'm not holding my breath...

Looking forward to watching this develop

Airfix will announce a state of the art version very soon .......... about 3 days after I have struggled through this b******* !

• Like 2

Wel I dunno about that, my Scout has been finished for nearly six months :(

Still no progress

Not even Freightdog from what I see

I was banking on a decent repop ;)

pipelines backing up you see

me's in too. Dunno why but I seem to have found a recent fascination with things hoptichopterish

That engine and gearbox remind me of the highly detailed modern molding produced by some company over in Italy...... can't remember their name offhand.....

• Like 2

me's in too. Dunno why but I seem to have found a recent fascination with things hoptichopterish

That engine and gearbox remind me of the highly detailed modern molding produced by some company over in Italy...... can't remember their name offhand.....

A company from Italy....err....I think I know who that could be, aparently they do a decent Wessex I heard :tumble:

I can but refuse to pollute this fine narrative with it

And I do see what you mean ;)

moaningD ignore us, we'll be around though

this will be too good to miss

Thats ok feel free to fill the long drawn out pauses between updates!

Edited by moaning dolphin
  • Like 1

Well here is the first update, thanks for the positive comments. I have still been tinkering in the cockpit. I have lots of photographs of this area but it is still difficult to gauge sizes etc due to paralex error. I have tried to proportion things approximately right going by sizes I know. At the moment the problem is the centre console. I can't really confirm where it starts, ends, how high it sits or how big the panels are so it is all approximate guess work.

I worked on the instrument panel last night which isn't too bad size wise. My intention is to drill out the instrument faces (done) and then back this up with a black sheet and dollop some varnish on the hole to represent glass. I did ponder on scribing the black sheet to represent instrument faces, but then had an epiphany and dug out some old decals which will be cut up and suitably applied. I don't think at this scale anyone will notice Hurricane instruments in a 1970's chopper (probably had the same basic stuff anyway!)

So here is the panel against my main reference (courtesey of airliners.net) with the basic layout

100_3316_zpswxb0ismq.jpg

And drilled out next to the backing card which will be finely shaped when fitted together. You can see two holes with a bit of card over them. This is to represent the instruments that sit slightly proud. They'll be drilled out again and rubbed down a bit.

100_3318_zpsexjgkzbd.jpg

So then moving onto the cockpit floor area. I fitted a box for where the yaw pedals go. Hopefully I got these in the right proportion/position. This will dictate where the instrument panel fits as there is a rod support from the from the front of the box to the panel. So that in turn will dictate the final position for the console. With it blue tact'd in position it doesn't look too bad. (the black line running accros the width is where the mainframe between the fwd and aft doors would be located. From pictures it looks like the centre console does go beyond this line, by how much is a different question though!)

100_3317_zps46e6nrgg.jpg

So then it was back to the centre console and the panels on that. I started with the top one which looks like a fuel control panel. I cut out an approximate size and made a couple of indents to represnt the securing fasteners, this is what I am hoping to achieve.

100_3319_zpsljputz9s.jpg

I continued with the other panels individually, I think thy are a little too proud at the moment so may rub them down a bit to make them a bit more subtle.

100_3320_zpsaomeyioe.jpg

My next task is to try and represnt the knobs and switches on the various panels, I'm thinking it may be a bit :hypnotised:

So all is going well so far but the nightmare lurking in the back of my mind is always this:

100_3313_zpss9owqdkk.jpg

But that is for another day yet!

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 2

Bob, you're a brave man, the old Fujimi kit is a bit of a bummer but I'm sure you're going to give it a good go and knock into shape. I'll follow your build with interest.

Colin

I've seen pictures of parked Wasps with canvas covers over the engines.

I have seen them too, I have also seen them totally covered in a cover but I think that may be cheating a little! It is an option that I am not discounting!

Naval helicopter; right hand drive - the default is always to land from the port side of the ship, because that's the way the approach lights are set up. So you sit on the right if you're flying it.

Any hoo

Time for another update, didn't do too much last night. I had ice to smash off the drive before the next storm comes on Saturday night, so that I can easily remove the snow. Then I had a Fusball competition with my lad for the title of king of the house. I did teach the wee lad a harsh lesson, although he didn't realise that as King of the House he would have to do exactly what the Queen of the House desired! I shall save that one for later!

Onto the kit, just a few subtle changes from last time. To make this thing seem realistic I think the cockpit area should be as busy as possible so when I am finished there shouldnt be alot of spare room in there. So the instrument panel was progressed and given a quick lick of paint, the backing sheet was populated with various dials, nothing accurate just something to break up the blackness. Everything did line up nicely so I dolloped a bit of varnish on top to hold everything. Hopefully nothing will move and it will look smashing!

100_3326_zps8d9rbh5m.jpg

Next up was more work on the center console. I added a side box and a map case. I also experimented with some knobs on (i think) some kind of auto flight panel ( it looks like the one on the seaking that they use to set an automatic flight plan to go dipping the sonar). On the real panel the knobs have different ends, one square, one round and ones a cross. As you can see below:

100_3320_zpsaomeyioe.jpg

Sorry to disappoint but I dont intend to go that deep, I shall go for the impression of a genereic knob (Cue Jeremy Clarkson gags!). I think they are a bit long so hopefully they will stay put when i rub them down a touch. I used quite thick stretched sprue for those and for all the little switches I shall try fine stretched sprue. Not sure how it will look but if I can keep the globules of glue to a minimum it should be quite refined.

100_3324_zpsylyyr1id.jpg

100_3322_zps307krwnt.jpg

Also trimmed the yaw pedal box and boxed in the front cut outs. The next part of the plan is to populate the area around and forward of the instrument panel. It is all very open and is a mass of boxes and wires so will just look like a big snakes wedding!

Thats all for now, hopefully a snowy weekend will keep outings to a minimum and kit bashing aplenty

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 3