This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sean_M

Vol 2 All the Spitfire questions here

5 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

I have a 1/72 Airfix Mk.I giveaway from the Daily Mail and quite fancy converting it to one of the early PR types in the same way that actual airframes were modded. I know that the canopy will probably need to be changed but my main question relates to the wings. They were unarmoured, but were they fitted with new dedicated wings, or were they merely modified by removing guns and patching over the gun holes and ejector chutes? All the pictures I’ve googled only show the fuselage and there’s are no clear pictures of the wing. I have a vague bell ringing that some of the early conversions also carried cameras in the wings (as well or instead of fuselage ones?). Again would existing wings have been modified or new ones fitted?

Basically, do I need to fill in all the wing panel detail!

Thanks in advance.

Trevor

I think the PR.1G might be a relatively straight forward proposition.  It had the standard 'A' wing of 4 x .303 MGs per wing.  There were two camera apertures in the bottom of the rear fuselage just behind the rear centre section plus two windows, one on each side, for the obliquely mounted camera one in the middle of the radio bay door and the other on the corresponding opposite side.  It also had the standard armoured windscreen.  Other than the camera ports the only visible differences from a standard Mk1 were teardrop panels on each side of the sliding hood and no radio mast.

Edited by Meatbox8

I have an MPM Spitfire PR XI in 1/72nd scale.

Can I make a PR X from it so I can take part in the BM 10th Anniversary GB?

IanJ

The PR.X would need the same (fuselage) mods as an F.VII: pressure bulkhead, fighter windscreen, no door, intake for pressurisation.  Keep the longer ailerons, though.

Edited by gingerbob

9 hours ago, gingerbob said:

The PR.X would need the same (fuselage) mods as an F.VII: pressure bulkhead, fighter windscreen, no door, intake for pressurisation.  Keep the longer ailerons, though.

No canopy rails, though. Did I remember that correctly?

Mike

12 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

I have an MPM Spitfire PR XI in 1/72nd scale.

Can I make a PR X from it so I can take part in the BM 10th Anniversary GB?

IanJ

Ian

they only made 16 PR.X's

Been discussed before

On 03/06/2017 at 19:01, Troy Smith said:

https://www.airrecce.co.uk/WW2/recce_ac/RAFAR.html

The PR Mk X appeared in Spring 1944 (long after the PR Mk XI).

It was the PR version of the standard Mk VII fighter,

produced by matching the fuselage from a Mk VII with the wings from the PR Mk XI, 

t_spit_pr_mk10_657.jpg

The pressurised hood, fighter windscreen  and long ailerons clearly visible even in this small pic.

A brief aside, the PR.X was in High Altitude Fighter scheme, PRU Blue underside and Medium Sea Grey uppers.

just about visible,  look at the lower cowl panel line

t_spit10_169.jpg

this also shows the pressurisation intake on the cowl.

Hood is the same as the Mk.VII

useful thread here with detail pics

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1431526148/Spitfire+Mk+VIIc...no+cockpit+door--

On the Mk.VI and early VIIs (I think NASM's is "early", but don't remember offhand) the hood had to be "bolted" down, and sometimes the aircraft were flown with the hood left off. Later VIIs, PR.Xs, and PR.XIXs (except the early ones that were unpressurized) had the external rails for a sliding hood, as Jun's photo shows. They could be jettisoned- the rails were spring loaded and would "pop" outboard (hinged on lower edge), releasing the hood.

bob

Late Mk. VII. Lobelle Sliding Canopy

May 13 2015, 11:40 AM 

[linked image]

HTH

Phew, I had a moment of panic when I saw Troy quoting me, but looks like I was right- the NASM Mk.VII does have an earlier-style canopy.  Which doesn't matter if we're talking PR.X, because it will be like the last photo, with external rails (which would spring open to release the canopy if the pilot wants to get out in a hurry).

Sorry if this has been asked already but any word if the new Mk Vb Spitfire from Revell in 1/72 is any good?

Cheers,

Dermot

It's worth your while doing a search of the site, as it has been discussed already.  As I recall comments were not generally complimentary.

3 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

Sorry if this has been asked already but any word if the new Mk Vb Spitfire from Revell in 1/72 is any good?

Cheers,

Dermot

Hi Dermot

see

and

you may find this of use, 

HTH

T