Vol 2 All the Spitfire questions here

Sean_M

If you paint it in its current form, don’t forget to paint the upper wing roundels in the rather odd proportions displayed here.

Spitfire_LF_IXC_MH434_3a_(6111327751).jp

Tony Hisgett Wikipedia 

.....and come to think of it the white circle on the fuselage roundel looks a bit off too......

Trevor

23 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I think that's unkind. 

I would point out...

I would point out that you did not read my whole post!  The last bit is far from unkind. 

"Thank you all.  This sort of resource is what makes forums like this work so well."

I asked a question, received answers.  There is no definitive spec of MH434.  Sorry if you misunderstood what I meant.  

Text can be funny that way, where as in speech sarcasm would always be obvious.  

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, shatters said:

Sorry another stupid question, but do the black stencilled lines on the mk1 upper wings cover the roundels or do the roundels cover them, airfix seem  to suggest the former.

Phil

Here is the upper wing of the IWM Spitfire I in Lambeth from 2011. Generally considered to be untouched from the day it was handed over as a museum exhibit in 1945, this suggests hat the roundel was applied over the walk line.

https://flic.kr/p/HDUC1H

Trevor

Edit - I seem to be having trouble like others today embedding images (using an iPhone) but click on the link

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Martin Ford said:

Have just been looking through my stash and realised, somehow, that I don't have a Spitfire in it. Blasphemy.

Can someone recommend a brand and scale which they believe is a good one to buy? Many thanks.

hmm, I'd say this was a bit vague,  and there are plenty of answers.

I suggest refining your question,  even if it just looking through some photos and finding a scheme that takes your fancy, though you may find there is not a good kit of that version....

Also, what do you want from a kit,  accuracy?  Ease of assembly? detail?   preferred scale?   

7 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Airfix Ia in 1/72 or their Ia or Vb In 1/48.

Trevor

I presume you mean new tool for these Trevor? 

By this Martin, there are old tool kits of the same subjects

but,  if starting from scratch.   some new-ish kits which are accurate

Eduard do Mk.VIII/IX and XVI kits, in both 1/72 and 1/48th,  in multiple boxings.  Very good,  also a IX in 1/144th.

Tamiya do a excellent 1/32nd IX and XVI

Airfix do a load of Spitfire kits, some excellent, some not so, so you do need to do some research

good ones are 1/72nd Mk.I new tool, the old tool Mk.I is very well shaped, but basic. 1/72 Mk.22

1/48th,  New Spit Ia, Vb, XIX and Mk.22/24 

If you'd asked this on friday,  you could have been directed to a 1/72nd  Airfix Mk.I  free with the Daily Mail....

HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Firstly, I do 1/72 but have heard good things about the 1/48 kits the previous posters have mentioned.

Secondly, I recommend that you buy some Spitfires then, buy more Spitfires.

I'd suggest the following in 1/72:

MkI/ MkII/ MkVa - Airfix 

MkIIb/ MkVb - KP or AZ 

MkVc - Sword

MkVI - AZ have the bits in their limited-run MkVb

MkVII - AZ 

MkVIII/ MkIX - Eduard (if you prefer simpler kits then AZ/ KP)

MkXII - there's the rare-as-hens-teeth Xtrakit or the Aeroclub fuselage conversion

MkXIV - Sword

MkXVIII - Use the Freightdog conversion for the Sword MkXIV

Mk21 - AZ (or a conversion using an Airfix MkXIX and Mk22)

Mk22 - Airfix 

Mk24 - Freightdog do a conversion set for the Mk22

PR Spits are a little thin on the ground, Pavla do conversion sets for the Ia, etc. otherwise, it's:

PRIV - Sword

PRXI - Airfix MkXIX and a Freightdog conversion set (or do it yourself)

PRXIX - Airfix

Seafires, you're looking to Sword for the MkII, MkIII, MkXV and 17 and doing a conversion for the twenty-series models.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks for all your help and advice chaps. (Max, Troy and Beard) It's much appreciated.

The knowledge some of you guys have boggles my mind.

I was leaning towards  the Tamiya 1/32, as have read about it in magazines but as Beard said above, buy one then buy some more so will maybe plump for an Airfix 1/72 as well. Come to think of it I always wanted a 1/24 scale when I was a lad.

Sorry if I was a bit vague with my question was really just wondering if any stood out. 

Many thanks again, all the best, Martin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

The outstanding two seem to be the 1/32 Tamiya and the 1/72 Eduard.  In 1/48 perhaps the Airfix Mk.22 but there are other good ones.  However people usually have favourite versions which will bias their choice..

Thank you Graham. Much appreciated. I think it will be the Tamiya 1/32 for me.

Just have to check my bank balance as I've gone on a bit of a Wingnut Wings binge over the last year. 

Cheers, Martin

• 4 weeks later...

Looking for help, I have a bagged 1/48 Spitfire kit without instructions. Being relatively new to aircraft modelling I'd like to search for the instructions online but don't know the manufacturer of the kit. Does anyone recognize this decal sheet?

IMG_20180207_083115

2 minutes ago, Ted said:

Looking for help, I have a bagged 1/48 Spitfire kit without instructions. Being relatively new to aircraft modelling I'd like to search for the instructions online but don't know the manufacturer of the kit. Does anyone recognize this decal sheet?

IMG_20180207_083115

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1027624-arii-a333-1200-supermarine-spitfire-mk-8

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

This kit is rather old, but neat, and has been released under a number of different company names.  If you follow this one, it isn't Dark Sea Grey but Ocean Grey.

Thanks for the advice Graham.

I have a 1/72 Airfix Mk.I giveaway from the Daily Mail and quite fancy converting it to one of the early PR types in the same way that actual airframes were modded. I know that the canopy will probably need to be changed but my main question relates to the wings. They were unarmoured, but were they fitted with new dedicated wings, or were they merely modified by removing guns and patching over the gun holes and ejector chutes? All the pictures I’ve googled only show the fuselage and there’s are no clear pictures of the wing. I have a vague bell ringing that some of the early conversions also carried cameras in the wings (as well or instead of fuselage ones?). Again would existing wings have been modified or new ones fitted?

Basically, do I need to fill in all the wing panel detail!

Thanks in advance.

Trevor

Existing wings were modified.  The emptied ammunition bay was used to house a camera.  When longer focal lengths were needed, starting with the 'Type C' an underwing fairing was added.  Panels were sealed and smoothed, but not re-skinned to delete them.  The first purpose-built PR wing was for the Type D, with the leading edge fuel, which evolved into the production "PR.IV".  All of this was based on the 8-gun 'a' wing structure, by the way.

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

I have a 1/72 Airfix Mk.I giveaway from the Daily Mail and quite fancy converting it to one of the early PR types in the same way that actual airframes were modded. I know that the canopy will probably need to be changed but my main question relates to the wings. They were unarmoured, but were they fitted with new dedicated wings, or were they merely modified by removing guns and patching over the gun holes and ejector chutes? All the pictures I’ve googled only show the fuselage and there’s are no clear pictures of the wing. I have a vague bell ringing that some of the early conversions also carried cameras in the wings (as well or instead of fuselage ones?). Again would existing wings have been modified or new ones fitted?

Thanks in advance.

Trevor

Trevfor,

There are a lot more differences in the Merlin PR Spitfires than just the changes in the wings as listed by Max; I strongly suggest you find a copy of The Aviation Workshop Publication On Target Profile 8 on Photo Reconnaissance Spitfires in Worldwide Service. It has text, photos, color profiles, and 1/72 color 3-view drawings on al of the PR versions, both Merlin and Griffon-powered, along with all of the modifications/cameras, etc. fitted to each version. If you have a certain version in mind, I can pull my copy and list the information for  that version. Merlin PR Spits that you could use your AirfixMk 1/II kit to do would be a PR Mk1A,B,C,D,E,F,G. Let me know if I can help.  (If you are planning to do a PR Mk1D, you will need extended wing tips- all the others had standard span wings. For almost all of the versions, you will need a rounded, unarmored windscreen and some versions had teardrop shaped blisters on the sliding hood for extra visibility.

Mike

P.S. Pavla also makes two different conversion/detail sets for 1/72 Merlin PR Spitfires; resin bits, vacform canopies, and decals. They are very nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Thanks in advance.

Trevor

As it  goes,  both the On Target publication,  and the  Ventura publication on Merlin PR Spitfires, are long OOP'

I'm not to enamoured with the On Target stuff,  too  many profiles and "private source photos" 

The first Ventura book is a lot better,  but is unobtainium,  

The easiest one to do is the very early PR Ia,  which are Mk.I's,  with a few mods,  fighter windscreen, and overall Camotint (IE Sky)

looks like they have a have the side blister hood.

Pavla do a set in 1/72 which has several versions, 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/PAVU72125

there are more but I think the above is specifically for Airfix

https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?keyword_search=spitfire+pr&setPerPage=100&scale_id=956&search_direction=asc&pageID

HTH

T

Edited by Mike
Please don't discuss or advise regarding downloading illegal copies of unobtainable books on Britmodeller.
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

The first Ventura book is a lot better,  but is unobtainium,  

I mention this as the book is NOT available from anywhere I have searched for,   usual suspect Amazon, ebay, abe etc don't even  have a copy for silly money, so

Sorry Troy but that's plain wrong and you should damn well know it. Just because a book's print run has sold out is not an excuse to encourage and promote flagrant copyright violation. I am friends with a number of historic aviation authors and it gets my goat up as serious authors who devote huge amounts of time and effort to produce these types of books should not have their deserved earnings stolen by piracy. Your reasoning is such bad form I don't know where to even start.

If you really want the book or even specific information inside it, get in touch Wojtek, Malcolm or even Ventura and talk with them.