Vol 2 All the Spitfire questions here

Sean_M

The RM___ serials are the unpressurised 19s, the P's are pressurised.

Graham, I think my comments wandered away from my real question, which was [possibly rhetorical], "Hmm, just what structure DID they have to change on the Hurri to go from I to II?"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gingerbob said:

The RM___ serials are the unpressurised 19s, the P's are pressurised.

Graham, I think my comments wandered away from my real question, which was [possibly rhetorical], "Hmm, just what structure DID they have to change on the Hurri to go from I to II?"

Thanks for the reply, and now I know your begging for an answer to your Q, but what do I need to do to the airfix to make it a unpressed XIX, as both serials are RM

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Thanks for the reply, and now I know your begging for an answer to your Q, but what do I need to do to the airfix to make it a unpressed XIX, as both serials are RM

Hi Stu

In 72nd, not a great deal, 

the early PR.XIXs, which were sort of rushed into production, officially designated the type 389. Ted Hooton describes these as a "panic conversion" based on F.XIV fighter airframes. Supermarine built 22 type 389s in April and May 1944. The first operational sortie with a XIX was on May 24th, 1944.

The main difference between the 389 and 390 was that the latter was pressurized. For modeling purposes, this means a few modifications to the Airfix kit: On the exterior, the air scoop on the nose on the left hand side needs to be removed. 389 aircraft also had the cockpit side door. The 389 had 4-spoke wheels, and fishtail exhausts. Since the cockpit wasn't pressurized, the aft bulkhead was also standard, not a closed off bulkhead.

the canopy on the pressurised XIX is deeper at the rear, but this can be done with just paint.   

Pressurised XIX

9737831392_f71e719fa7_o.jpg

here you can see the railand shallower rear on an XI

5232312442_f14ba213c0_o.jpg

MOre on the XI here (and conversions)

HTH

T

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Me again, at the decal stage for the prxix, the subject is the one of the two type 389 on the xtradecal sheet (the one with the serial ending /z) and the wing rounders have disintergrated, where would I look in my spares? 

Types Bs? No. 4 on the sheet?  Nearest I can equate them to is 40 inch on the Modeldecal sheet No. 42. although they look a little bigger on the Xtradecal sheet.  According to Modeldecal they should be the same as on a Buffalo, Mustang, Kingfisher, Oxford, Harvard and Auster (it also says that size was used on 'some' Spitfires.    Next size down is 35" and they are definitely look too small.  Next size up is 44" which look too big.  Hope that helps.

Edited by Meatbox8
Correcting typos having coming back from the pub.

12 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Types Bs? No. 4 on the sheet?  Nearest I can equate them to is 40 inch on the Modeldecal sheet No. 42. although they look a little bigger on the Xtradecal sheet.  According to Modeldecal they should be the same as on a Buffalo, Mustang, Kingfisher, Oxford, Harvard and Auster (it also says that size was used on 'some' Spitfires.    Next size down is 35" and they are definitely look too small.  Next size up is 44" which look too big.  Hope that helps.

That's them, I have a set from an raf mustang fingers crossed they are the right size, if not perhaps I do have white decal paper

edit yep the mustang ones were the right size :)

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'm on the cusp of starting a Mk21 using the Airfix Mk22/24 wings and PRXIX Fuselage.  Looking for confirmation that the rather prominent Tear-drop shaped fairing over the Wheel Well was there from the start, rather than a post war modification.

The reason for asking is that having studied the several poor quality pictures of Mk21's on line and in my meager references, the fairing in question doesn't seem that prominent.

Cheers,

Troffski.

Hello folks.

A quick question. Mrs. T just bought me an older AZ Models Spitfire Mk. I 'late' From a charity shop. Nice present :).

I know little about Spitfires. None of the marking schemes are really in my interest areas; I would like to search for another Mk. I to model, most likely by photographic reference.

Please could I ask; what is meant by 'late'; what are the differences between 'early' and late Mk. I that I should be looking out for in photographs? 

My GoogleFu is failing me with this this morning.

Apologies if this is a really stooopid question :dunce: 

Best regards

TonyT

PS: I'm open to suggestions on an interesting subject for the model.

An early machine could have 2-blade prop, protruding gun muzzles on the outboard guns, flat canopy top and sides, unarmoured windscreen, pole mast, tubular exhausts.  A late machine would have DH or Rotol (rare) 3-blade props, a raised top to the canopy, an armoured windscreen, tapered mast, fishtail exhausts.

From memory: no guarantee of completeness, but a good starter, methinks.

• Like 3

This reference will be worth a look. It covers more than the Mk.I but it seems to give a good overview 

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/01-Supermarine-Spitfire

Ditto this...

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Aircraft-Profiles/Britain/WW2/Supermarine-Spitfire-I-II

Both come from Box Art Den, which is in itself well worth having a ferret around.

Trevor

• Like 3

Thanks Graham and Trevor that's very kind :). I have a very good mental image now of what to look for.

The Box Art Den is rather worth a look, that's my morning taken care of for today :book:.

Best regards 

TonyT

• 3 weeks later...

Just came across this pic USAAF Spitfire Vb EN918.

That star isn't white, so what is it?

donald_ross_av-x.jpg

Other things to note are the crude enlargement of the blue area to cover the white of the RAF roundel underneath. The squadron code also seems to be darker than the individual letter.

Trevor

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Simple rule is UK Mk.Vs without wire, overseas ones with the earlier radio.  I don't know if this holds for the very first Mk.Vs, but would assume so until someone comes up with photo evidence otherwise.

Thank's Graham, I've looked and can't find a Photo of one of the original V's to prove anything.

As far as I can see, the prototypes had the small tag on the aerial mast that allows for the attachment of the aerial, but production aircraft didn't.  Mod 385 dated 22.6.41 introduced the TR1142 to replace the TR1133, which doesn't leave a lot of time for any use of the TR 9D (which needed the long aerial).    Spitfire The History defines late production Mk.Is as having the TR1133 (some with TR9D) showing that it was standardised before the introduction of the Mk.V.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

That star isn't white, so what is it?

Some asquadrons reduced the glare of the white star and later bars by toning them down with some gray. What shade?  It likely varied quite a bit. Given the squadron code should be Sky, and the X is likely a lighter/fresher shade of Sky, my money would be on a shade of gray for the star that is slightly darker than Sky...Sky Grey maybe?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Another one for the Spitfire buffs and aficionados:

When was the ventral signal light (between flaps) deleted in Spitfire production?

Was it the same time the upper tear-drop bulb (behind the antenna mast) was deleted?

Restored examples make no sense of this, since this Mk.XVIe has it:

4146788342_4916a9654f_z.jpg

While this one doesn't (?)

4917955013_7d6742585b.jpg

On 09/09/2017 at 9:07 PM, Crossofiron1971 said:

May I ask a question?

Sorting out bits for my mega Mk.Ia Build.

Could I ask if the anti-chafing strips seen here were fitted to early Mk.I Spits?

37159336505_11cae304be_o.jpg