Plasticard help

wellsprop

Hi all,

I plan to scratch build a DH.91 in 72 scale from plasticard. Here's what I intend to do.

20150308_182744_zpskkj8ovi9.jpg

I'm going to cut out the side (red) an top (green) profiles before sticking them together, then use the cross sections (blue) as supports. My question is, for this structure, what thickness plasticard would be ideal? I was thinking 2 or 3mm...

I would also like to know how to apply a skin to the finished structure, i.e. how would I go about applying a skin to the structure circled in red and what thou plasticard would that suit?

Regards,

Ben

Hi Ben

You've not chosen the easiest of subjects for a first scratch build, and I'd second the above recommendation for Harry Woodman's book.

Here's one that's been scratched before, the plans should be familiar :winkgrin:

Your basic plan is sound, don't forget to reduce the sections by the thickness of the skin you'll be using. Use two identical central spines so you can separate it into two halves

Fill in with hard balsa and shape, sand and seal; or fill in with scrap plastic and fill with P38, shape, sand and seal

You've then got the choice of plunge moulding 2 fuselage halves, or double diagonal planking over the fuselage plug

Wings- Balsa core with plasticard wrapped round, tail shape from solid plasticard.

Plunge mould fuselage 1-1.5mm card

Planked fuselage - 2 layers of 0.5mm strips

Wings 0.75mm card

Tail surfaces - sandwich 2 pieces together after shaping on one side, thickness as appropriate.