Tamiya 1/35 Tiger 1 'Bovington Tiger'

This is a post of firsts - 1st completion of the year, 1st figure I've ever painted and more amazingly the 1st piece of armour that I can remember building ever. I'm sure that I must have done but it certainly wasn't in the last 45 years, so be kind to me. I persuaded my wife to come with me to watch Fury when it was in the cinema and it changed my modelling focus quite dramatically. I made the decision to pick up this kit and a Sherman Easy 8 and this one has crossed the line first. The kit is a pretty perfect introduction to armour modelling and goes together as easily as anything I've ever built, which has all been aircraft to date. I used Mig Ammo paint which didn't work too well until I picked up some Ultimate Modelling Products Airbrush Thinner to mix with it. After that it sprayed superbly and I'm a complete convert on both products. A concoction of washes, pigments, chipping fluid and lots of other alien substances were used to get a finish that I'm pretty happy with. You'll have to excuse the lack of historical authenticity in all things but I was looking for something that looked like the 'Bovington Tiger' in its film star guise. So, here it is - part 1 of the 'Fury' duo: -

039%20-%20Tiger%20131_zps4baghdns.jpg

040%20-%20Tiger%20131_zps5qvsysup.jpg

043%20-%20Tiger%20131_zpsdaa9zdcx.jpg

045%20-%20Tiger%20131_zpsbnb2c4wg.jpg

046%20-%20Tiger%20131_zpsg0tx3ere.jpg

047%20-%20Tiger%20131_zpsvx7yofca.jpg

049%20-%20Tiger%20131_zps2db27lvp.jpg

051%20-%20Tiger%20131_zpsmyzxd0im.jpg

052%20-%20Tiger%20131_zpsel6c9wfi.jpg

053%20-%20Tiger%20131_zpsivrznh1m.jpg

054%20-%20Tiger%20131_zpsps8xbdrm.jpg

055%20-%20Tiger%20131_zpspfpug857.jpg

Next up is the Sherman and after who knows, I'm really enjoying doing something different. Thanks for looking and comments and critique welcomed.

Pete

• Like 19

That is an impressive looking Tiger :)

I like the leaves and the heat staining on the exhaust covers is particularly effective.

Are you sure that's your first attempt at a figure? Pretty damn good for a first! Well done :goodjob:

Thanks all for taking time to comment.

Jack - yes, all main colours were Ammo, RAL 7008 & 8000. I used the option 2 RAL 7008 as the real thing looks like it has more of a green tint to it than the standard 7008.

AndyC - I've managed to stop myself from getting into armour for many years because I knew that I'd get hooked and didn't need any more models. Too late, I've done it now but have really enjoyed doing something different. I like that you can almost glue it all together before paint rather than lots of sub assemblies when building aircraft.

HL-10 - definitely a first attempt but won't be my last. The leaves were from a company called Reality in Scale and took a few nights at the desk to get them done. Perversely it was quite therapeutic just gluing the leaves onto a fuse wire branch and I was glad that I made the effort to do it.

Pete

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

That looks superb. Really well done. Is it tge tamiya kit? Also the easy 8 your making, is that the tamiya kit too?

• 6 months later...

Rather than pay for 'model' leaves, find yourself a Silver Birch tree. In late summer, when the 'catkins' begin to open, get yourself a handful, and pull them apart. Between the seeds (and there are hundreds in one catkin) there are little 'separators' and they look just like those you paid for. They come in slightly different sizes and can be used for tree leaves, ivy leaves or other climbing plant leaves in scales 1/25th to 1/35th.

If you want to get a better idea of what they look like, I used them in my Somewhere near Villers Bocage diorama, and in my diorama WIP Lost in France.

Edited by Badder

Hi

You have done exactly what i want to do after watching the film.I have the kits but have not started them yet.I think you can be pleased with the result.Im part way through a T-34 first to see how i get on and im down to the weathering stage but scared i dont want to cack it up.Ive watched a few vids for ideas and will press on soon?????

I also fancy seeing the real tanks but it's a hike from where i live unfortunately.

Well done.

Glyn