1/48th Airfix Bedford MWD

John

The model has had an overall coat of Kleer to even out the finish, and to protect the main colours from the next step, which is a wash of Humbrol 237 well diluted with Tamiya acrylic thinners. The Humbrol paint holds its pigment well even when greatly diluted and gives an effective matt dusty wash:

MWD50_zpskma1j7un.jpg

MWD53_zps0wa1wycu.jpg

MWD52_zpsafp5b1tl.jpg

MWD51_zpsudx0kxcq.jpg

Meanwhile - model number 2 is under way. First thing, after a primer coat of enamel Light Stone, is to fill the ejection pin marks on the engine side of the firewall:

Lightstone4_zpstgkcgk5l.jpg

This doesn't matter if the engine bay is closed up but in this case the side panels have been removed. It also means that I'll have to build more of the engine than just the basic block, which once again is all that's needed if everything is closed.

John

Looking good, I bought this kit the other week and in true Airfix tradition I started it as soon as I got home so have followed your build. I've noticed that Airfix have missed the necks off the fuel tanks I made some out of Evergreen for mine, they have also missed off the towing lugs on the front bumpe, easy enough to make from copper wire or such like. What are the transparencies like in your kit? Mine are poor, the Aero screens have a vertical line down the middle of the both and the ones for the late version are more like clear stained windows.

Tim.

Useful points, thanks.

As far as the fuel filler necks, I did wonder if the longer neck was fitted to the very earliest trucks but checking photos of captured vehicles in German service, which must have been acquired in 1940-41, the neck can be seen so that's something that I'll need to add.

My clear parts are all still bagged up at the moment but I'll report back when I've checked them.

John

John, no problem. I've decided I'm going to invest in one of the Mike Starmer books you mention, I hadn't heard of him until this thread.

I can see why you are building more of these kits, they do build up nice and the options are almost endless.

Tim.

Clear bitz:

MWD54_zps57ntja0u.jpg

The aeroscreens don't seem to have any flaws but they are quite thick. The cab windows have a "wavy" sort of internal patterning like old glass.

I suppose the good part is that they're all flat and easily replaced if needs be.

Also note the clear headlights, not required for either of the marking schemes in this boxing of the kit, so it looks like we can expect more in the future - a civillian example for the "O"-gauge railway fraternity perhaps?

John

Being flat does make things easier although the side windows may prove more difficult as the framework would need making up as well.

I'm going to get in touch with Airfix and flag the faults up to them.

My modelling has been put on hold for the time being as I dropped a 4 metre steel beam on my right hand today and broke my middle finger and badly damaged the nail seat.

Tim.

Hi tank152 I'm sorry to hear that as well. Nice to meet you briefly at Hinckley. Apologies if I wasn't my usual self it had been a very long and frustrating day (or so) for me....

BOT my windows have the same issues. I've used the clear plastic from a square coleslaw tub with good results before. For the side windows I think they were transparent plastic rather than glass in a canvas 'frame' in the sides of later Bedfords. My font of all knowledge (SleeperDad) is currently at his mates in Latvia but I'll check his memory and library when he gets back.

Those builds are looking really good John, I will start one myself as soon as I finish something. I hope that Airfix do the metal cab version which would really open up the options.

John and Sleeperservice, thanks for your good wishes, the finger is still throbbing like a good un today! Thursdays aren't a good day for me where fingers and thumbs are concerned as I hit my thumb with a hammer a couple of years ago, luckily it was my left one so I managed to get plenty of modelling done whilst I was off.

I gave Airfix a call today but they are on holiday by the sounds of it.

Tim.

I'd guess the wavy side glass is deliberate- they were cellulose panels in the real tilt. You can see the effect clearly here http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/attachment.php?attachmentid=65510&d=1343936751&thumb=1

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?46033-Bedford-MW-side-screen-bag-and-windscreen-cover

Will

I think you're giving them to much credit there I doubt they meant it as such! Anyway the windscreen is the same as well and that was clear on the real thing.

I'm calling this one finished. Straight from the box with the supplied markings:

MWD55_zpsih33zsgi.jpg

MWD56_zpsgqi4sicn.jpg

MWD60_zpsc85xlkxu.jpg

MWD58_zpsdjmp6zgx.jpg

MWD57_zpsilde5jf0.jpg

MWD59_zpsc6oatgj3.jpg

It really isn't big:

MWD61_zpssb0oxrft.jpg

Just noticed the Maskol under the front tarp - I'll go and get it!

In summary, painted with Revell, Tamiya and Humbrol acrylics, weathered with well diluted Humbrol acrylics and finally given 2 coats of Humbrol Matcote.

Construction points to watch out for:

Aligning the flats on the tyres with the wheels

The fit of the bonnet side panels

The lack of positive locations for the support struts beside the aeroscreens

Apart from that, highly enjoyable.

John

• Like 2

With the first model completed, time to start seriously on number 2. The first one was out of the box, but for the second I'm going to try to be a bit more sophisticated!

Firstly, on examining the parts I found that the mould parting line was much more pronounced on this one than the previous. The chassis has had some sanding and paring to tidy it up. I also took the opportunity to thin down the mud flaps:

Lightstone7_zpsztxyrqxw.jpg

At the front end I drilled out the ends of the radiator bar - tricky! - and added the lights to the mudguards. They are quite awkward to fit when the bonnet panels are in place so on a swings and roundabouts basis I'll risk knocking them off:

Lightstone8_zpsvm5rrlvn.jpg

As Tim has previously pointed out even early versions of the truck seem to feature an elongated fuel tank filler neck. I sliced off the moulded filler cap and drilled through the tank top, inserting some Contrail tube at the correct angle. I'll trim it to size later:

Lightstone6_zps2y5dwbs4.jpg

Finally, the instruments added with the assistance of Humbrol Decalfix:

Lightstone5_zpsclruq9g9.jpg

John

I'm taking a slightly different approach with this build, starting by assembling the body. Here it is in progress, with a couple of thin coats of Light Stone brushed on:

Lightstone9_zps9vu4qfh2.jpg

Lightstone10_zpscd6fq7fi.jpg

Lightstone11_zps3lvoczxc.jpg

Lightstone12_zpsw9ny1xi4.jpg

The engine is painted acrylic RC401 Black. Because the engine panels will be open, I'll have to add the various accessories to the engine block this time.

I made the fuel filler necks too big first time. I've replaced the original ones here with smaller versions at a different angle. You need to be careful they don't foul the cab floor or the truck bed.

Firewall just sitting in place:

Lightstone13_zpse3ifeflu.jpg

Again, because the engine panels are opened, I've pared away their locating tabs. This is awkward because they encroach onto the back of the headlights:

Lightstone14_zpsqtvxmf7j.jpg

Finally, looking forward to the "late" build, the truck bed with a couple of coats of the SCC2 mix which gives a nice rich dark brown finish:

SCC2_2_zpspxgw2vv8.jpg

John

Hi John,

looks like you've been busy, there must be umpteen ways of building these up. Will you be coming over to the dark side and modelling a captured one?

Tim.

I was hoping to do an Albion as well but looking through my captured trucks book it doesn't look like any were, not tankers anyway. I received my Mike Starmer book yesterday, what a excellent little book, very interesting.

Tim.

Very nice work so far

Chris

Thanks, appreciated.

I was hoping to do an Albion as well but looking through my captured trucks book it doesn't look like any were, not tankers anyway. I received my Mike Starmer book yesterday, what a excellent little book, very interesting.

Tim.

Yeah, these booklets are excellent pieces of research.

Today's progress:

Light Stone tidied up on the bodywork and the engine block given another thin coat of RC401. The exhaust pipe is Tamiya paint marker Metallic Grey:

Lightstone15_zpsey4296pw.jpg

Lightstone16_zpsljr06lbe.jpg

Lightstone17_zpsiwgblplb.jpg

It looks really neat in the Light Stone, it will almost be a pity to weather it.

John

• 4 weeks later...

Finally, some progress with my trio of Bedfords.

Middle East version: this is the kit supplied engine:

Lightstone19_zps23ptjw2u.jpg

Lightstone18_zps0etmjdrq.jpg

I've installed all the parts as the model will have the side panels left off. If you build the model with the bonnet shut, you just need to put in the basic engine block. Finish is overall Humbrol RC401 Dirty Black acrylic.

Front radiator panel just dropped into place:

Lightstone20_zpsa9ugw4ue.jpg

Finally for now, driver's seat and a Tamiya driver figure tried on for size:

Lightstone21_zpsskvcv2gn.jpg

John

• Like 1

The engine and engine bay have been given a good coating of Humbrol Gloss Oil Wash, followed by a gentle drybrush of Light Stone. Then the bonnet was glued in place. This one fits very well, unlike the one on my first build, which makes me wonder if the fit of the side panels may be the problem?

Lightstone22_zps39bhscn6.jpg

The seats have also been added. They are painted Humbrol 186 Brown with a drybrush of Light Stone.

John

• 1 year later...

Very impressive John. I am just embarking on a similar project but going to do the RAF version.
I am not very impressed with the lack of a decent colour chart though so any tips will be very helpful.