airfix/dapol deltic

Hi guys,I picked up a nice book in a charity book shop yesterday called British rail in colour by L.A.Nixon,loads of lovely colour pictures of BR diesel's anas I have always liked the old Deltic engines I was wondering how much work it would be to convert the airfix/dapol prototype into a production one.A bit out if my comfort zone with trains so any advice would be great duly received.

Cheers.......Neil

Rather a huge amount. They're quite different beasts when you get down to it. You'd be better off getting a Limby basic model and detailing in to be honest. Especially hard is getting the nose of the thing right. Something many mainsteam manufacturers have tried and failed.

Thanks Charles, have found a limby body shell that needs work ,would you know if it would fit the airfix bogies and chassis.....Neil

Edited by fatalbert

The problem with the Limby Deltic is that is not 1/76 (4mm/foot) '00' gauge, for some reason Lima tooled it up as a 1/87, 'HO' gauge model. If you want an 'OO' gauge version then Bachmann have produced one, but I do not think it is in current production and like all locos the price has crept up.. I bought one second hand a little while back with a damaged body to build the Dapol/ Kitmaster kit on to the chassis to have a running one. (Just before the NRM bought their stunner out). Making very slow progress as I tackle the stash

From memory the Airfix bogies aren't suitable either, I think you need to use either class 37 or 50 bogies (more likely 50's) which you can buy separately. Raises things up a little but there's still size issues. The closest to the real production engine is the Bachmann model, but Heljans DP2 with a little work might be a good route as well.

I have a Deltic prototype onto Lima chassis conversion, in progress, so hopefully can add some nuggets of info.

The Kitmaster/Dapol body does indeed fit a Lima chassis, with minimal filing - in fact only needed around the tabs under the cab doors.

The conversion of the body is a bit of a none starter too - way too much work....headlight, route indicator box, removal of body lines.....etc.

It has to be said the Kitmaster/Dapol protoype Deltic (DP1) body in dimensions is pretty darn good - and even Bachmann have not quite got the dimension of the cab right on the so-called production Deltics - and they are well over 10 times more expensive...

BTW - don't think it came out as an Airfix product - missed a generation between kitmaster and Dapol....

• Like 1