Netherland East India 1941: CW21 & B10

Hi,

I want to share withe a couple of rather rare models: Curtiss-Wright CW 21 Demon, by Rareplanes, (vacu, 1/72) and Martin 139 or B-10, Williams Bross, 1/72. Both are in markings of Netherland East India (today - Indonesia), 1941.

CW-21 was my first ever vacu. I made them in years 1978-82.

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Martin:

b10 DSC03716b10 DSC03717b10 DSC03718b10 DSC03719

CW 21 and Martin:

cw21 DSC03715cw21 b10 DSC03712cw21 DSC03714cw21 DSC03187cw21 DSC03186cw21 DSC03166cw21 DSC03165cw21 DSC03164cw21 DSC03163cw21 DSC03720

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 34

Wow!

Great job on both, but the rareplanes vac is really cool. Tough build to say the least.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Truly obscure types! Well - I think I read about B-10 before, but CW-21 is a new type for me. Looks like your collection is a real WWII aircraft encyclopedia!!! Fantastyczna kolekcja!!!

Edited by Dennis_C
  • Like 1

I have to come clean – never even heard a whisper before about the Curtiss-Wright CW-21 Demon. Your model inspired me to turn to my friend Mr. (or should that be Ms.?) Google and I found an interesting Wikipedia article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtiss-Wright_CW-21.

Apparently, the Dutch Demons were of the CW-21B type and a bit similar in philosophy to the Japanese fighters it had to opppose: lightly built and lacking armour and fuel tank protection in order to maximise climb performance.

So, thank you for showing excellent and very rare models, and for contributing to my education!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 2

Thank you Gents for such positive response! :) . I appreciete it. The models are really pretty old. I made Martin during end of my school days and Demon as student...Martin passed throught the most serious accident which happend to my collection in the past - a colapse of a glass shelf above it. As a result there were some damage - the most serious was that fuselage was broken into two halves in the front. It was then just glued with CA glue, it is "almost" not visible....

Kit of Demon was produced some years ago by MPM as injection short-run. Perhaps it is still available.

Regarding real planes - there was interesting two seater - CW 22 Falcon developed from CW 21. It was used in Netherland East India and Paragway but also much closer to Europe - in Turkey.

Regards

J-W

Thak you Jason,

I've always liked that little aeroplane for some reason

I have also a soft spot on this machine - I am always a bit surprised that she was not sucessful at all. So nice design at first sight.

Cheers

J-W

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe a bit late, but I just have to say these are great! I'm dutch and having read some dutch books on these subjects, they are spot-on!

Your build gives me the inspiration to finish my B10.
By the way: the CW-21 is no longer available anymore. The MPM is out of production and never seems to pop up anywhere. Ask me how I know :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Thank you Dorbeck for your comment - it is never too late to make a positive feedback in BM, I belive :)

I am pretty sure that CW21 will be re-issued - or I should say - I do hope about it.

Regarding photos - when I was doing B10 I was following the article in some Journal like Air Enthusiast or similar - I really do not remeber now what exactly it was. It was about 1980. There were those huge orange triangles on the top of the wing visible on the photo. Later I've heard from someone (who knows such details much better than me) that during military actions in early 1942 triangles from wings top were overpainted with camo. Can you comment this, please?

Best regards

J-W

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi Jerzy!!!!

I have both aircraft in Vacuform... and was thinking in ADD one injected and found your great masterworks mentioned in the page here: https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/cw21b.htm 

just under the epigraph " CW-21B models and accessories in 1/72 scale.  Six models of the CW-21B are/were available in 1/72" and so, it was inevitable as i KNOW YOU, to come and enjoy a masterwork from your wonderful skunk works...

Have enjoyed how did you do with the vac and how you saved this nice Martin bomber from the "Death Cutting Axe"... I know about the accident as your brother told me what have happened and how you saved them.

I don't remember if this thread is from the ones you have saved after the Photobucket trouble BUT thank you very much for sharing and saving for posterity!!!

Cheers!!!

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Hi Luis Alfonso,

I have not heard from you since a long time.... Nice to hear again!  Thank you for your comment and for this infos. Actually I am right now in Dutch models - namely I am doing four Fokkers: two C-X (by AZ) and two C-VD (by LF models). I am searching for NEI scheme for C-X, but with orange triangles. There are photos of CX from NEI but with pre-war roundels. I think once I saw camouflaged C-X with triangles, but did not saved it. If I will not found such scheme I will do European one from May '40- so not a big problem in fact. First finished should be Norwegian CVD in winter camo...

Have a nice Sunday :)

J-W

P.S.

I recovered all my RFI models from ...bucket crisis

Edited by JWM
added PS
  • Like 2

Hi Jerszy !

Just fantastic and interesting builds as always, you do so spoil us with your wonderful built models, I do like the Martin B-10 very much, I have a couple in the stash to build but, have always been afraid to attempt it, but, I think I will, and thank you for your inspiration as always.

Would you happen to have a 1/72 Curtiss H-75 Hawk in NEI colours to ?

Best regards

Colin.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Colin1967 said:

Just fantastic and interesting builds as always, you do so spoil us with your wonderful built models, I do like the Martin B-10 very much, I have a couple in the stash to build but, have always been afraid to attempt it, but, I think I will, and thank you for your inspiration as always.

Would you happen to have a 1/72 Curtiss H-75 Hawk in NEI colours to ?

4 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Great subjects and great builds.

Colin and Martin, many thanks. Those both models were done by me almost ... 40 years ago! In these days I had Curtiss 75 converted to 9 cylinder variant from Heller kit, but I do not have it since some 35 years already... 

Cheers

J-W

20 hours ago, JWM said:

Hi Luis Alfonso,

I have not heard from you since a long time.... Nice to hear again!  Thank you for your comment and for this infos. Actually I am right now in Dutch models - namely I am doing four Fokkers: two C-X (by AZ) and two C-VD (by LF models). I am searching for NEI scheme for C-X, but with orange triangles. There are photos of CX from NEI but with pre-war roundels. I think once I saw camouflaged C-X with triangles, but did not saved it. If I will not found such scheme I will do European one from May '40- so not a big problem in fact. First finished should be Norwegian CVD in winter camo...

Have a nice Sunday :)

J-W

P.S.

I recovered all my RFI models from ...bucket crisis

Hi Jerzy!!!!

It's a great pleasure to look and watch things I have never watched before citing your wonderful work in the web!!!

I have been a little busy but will be in contact many more frequently. Wish you and your family a great new year in all sense and specially for your and your brother, a great model production!!! Cheers to all and when I find the CW 21 will ask you some questions about. 

Cheers and wonderful to read about you and your coming projects to stay tuned with!!!

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I see and admire your creations, your lovely creations! first thing which came up in my mind seeing them was ,"I built exactly the same planes ,the williams's brothers b-10 kit and the vacu-kit demon from rareplanes! but where you chose dark earth/chocolat and green as colours, I went for the jong blad/oud blad colours ,or in english litterally: jong=young ,old=oud and blad = leaf,an item about which colour they probably were in reality the discussion is still wide -what do I say,wide? very wide open and very much alive indeed-[I noticed lately that colour paint sets from the most obscure airforces can be bought nowadays ,but nobody took a chance with dutch airforce wwII colours [yet?modern dutch jets yes ,even dutch helicopters, but no wwII colour sets]. I'll try to make some photographs of my kits in not too far away future and show them here in britmodellers.

• Like 1

The WW2 Dutch colours have been produced by White Ensign (now Sovereign) Colour Coats, including Jongblad and Oudblad. They were originally produced for the Aviation Megastore in Holland, before becoming available from

WEM/Sovereign themselves. 

• Like 1

thank you ,and I found them .white ensign I had heard of and I have been looking for them ,but what I found was especially made for ships ,but these new sovereign look good in my eyes .I will try them soon ,hopefully! https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/collections/aircraft/dutch  but I see now they can deliver from the sovereign site only in the uk!..............  after some effort I found a place in holland where you can buy three sets wirh seven tins of dutch aircraft colours from 1930-1940. the three sets ordered together will cost you35,85 euro-seven tins-  postage included, if you live in holland .  https://www.navalmodels.com/product/ac-d-lva1-lva-set-1-groenbruinbeige/    and      https://www.navalmodels.com/product/ac-d-lva2-lva-set-2-khakiblauw/  and fr the knil=dutch indies         https://www.navalmodels.com/product/ac-d-knil-knil-set-jongbladoudblad/     

Edited by Emily-Emma silverscreen
ps
  • Like 2