1998 Dallara IRC Winner

American Racing Minatures have re-released a few of Chris Etzell's kits from years back. This is the Indy Car series that Eddie Cheever won with in 1998. It is a curbside kit, without engine, etc and comes as a mix of resin, white metal, vacuum formed windscreen, and decals. A very nice kit of an attractive subject.

A lot of the panel breaks were inconsistent, so I ended up filling and rescribing most of these, and cut scribing guides from vinyl that matched the panel contours. The first photo shows sanding back after filling with CA and priming the resin upper body.

IMG_2714_zpsbf25b0e6.jpg

There's an oval panel ahead of the cockpit that I'd filled and used a cut vinyl scribing guide to recreate, although with a fine scriber:

IMG_2716_zps18f6e19b.jpg

Same thing for the lines on the upper sides:

IMG_2722_zpsc45f5d4b.jpg

The transaxle was painted and a brass driveshaft installed to the dimensions required by the instructions.

IMG_2732_zps926c65a4.jpg

The cockpit was primed semigloss black and covered with Scale Motorsports carbon fiber decal material. The material in front of the instrument panel is in the process of snuggling down. The seat was also covered in this material.

IMG_2758_zps076e8f51.jpg

More to come as the suspension and wheels are assembled.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Blimey, that was quick!! (Oops - just realised there's two years between your posts!)

That's something different and a great finish.

When you say vinyl scribing guides, were they machine cut or done by hand?

Nick

I designed and cut them out via a Roland Stika cutter.  The translucent Oramask material is thick enough to run a needle scriber against, then a conventional scriber after that is done.  The oval panel just ahead of the windscreen that I filled in on the kit, then described with a custom vinyl guide, was almost lost under the primer, paint, and topcoat - but it's there, barely perceptable.

The vinyl cutter was used also for a custom mask: the white stripe between the black and turquoise colors.

Edited by regulus