1/72 C-54 QUESTION

TOPGUN88

TOPGUN88,

Apparently there is more to a North Star/Argonaut than just sticking Merlins onto a C-54 (if that is what you are thinking?)

There is some discussion about it here - although the jury is still out regarding the exact changes required.

On the other hand.......... it's your build.

Cheers

Ken

It would appear that the C.54 was more DC.6 than DC.4, incorporating more .6 components as the type progressed, The fuselage was described as DC.6 but 80" shorter and with the cargo door moved aft. The nacelles were specially designed with crossover exhaust systems so that the engines did not direct exhaust noise towards the fuselage. This I believe resulted in a higher top line to the nacelle. I remember these a/c coming into RCAF Langar.

John

Depends

The DC 4-M1/C-54GM North Star was a DC 4 with Merlin engines some of which used already built fuse sections bought from Douglas.

These were the RCAF machines some of which were leased to TCA in the early days.

The DC 4M2 North Star (TCA) and the similar Canadair C-4 (CPA & BOAC) were pressurised versions using basically the DC 6 fuselage shortened with the front and rear of a DC 4 added.

The fuse came from the pressurised DC 4-1009 option which no airline ordered and all DC 4-1009 built post war were un pressurised.

This is what I love about this (and other) discussion groups.

I have no great specific interest in the DC-4/North Star etc - but just an abiding interest in all things aviation.

But looking at these boards fills in the gaps and there is great wealth of knowledge displayed - and advice available for free - by all who contribute.

Long may it continue.....

Ken

• Like 2

It would appear that the C.54 was more DC.6 than DC.4, incorporating more .6 components as the type progressed, The fuselage was described as DC.6 but 80" shorter and with the cargo door moved aft. The nacelles were specially designed with crossover exhaust systems so that the engines did not direct exhaust noise towards the fuselage. This I believe resulted in a higher top line to the nacelle. I remember these a/c coming into RCAF Langar.

John

The North Star was the same length as the DC-4/C-54. But it was more of a shortened DC-6 than a DC-4. There was at least two incarnations of the cross-over exhaust system with RCAF machines never adopting it.

Ley Reynolds of Platypus Resins was working on a set of Merlin cowlings(I have on of his test shots).

Cheers, Tony

I built a North Star a few years ago from the Heller DC-6 and the Rareplanes C-54 (http://hedgehoghollow.com/buzz/North_Star/), and from what I've seen of the new Revell C-54 all you would need to make one of the later 'radar' equipped North Stars is to replace the radials with a set of Merlins, fill in a few of the rear fuselage windows and replace the props with a set of 'needle-nose' props (the pointy ones) from an Airfix Lancaster. If you wish to make one of the earlier North Stars, 'remove' the elongated radome nose.

It's been a while since I did my conversion and therefore absorbed in his book, but according to Larry Millberry's excellent book on the Canadair North Star, all North Star had the 'beefier' DC-6 type main landing gear. Like I said, it's been a while since I compared the two (North Star vs C-54 MLG), but it might be worth looking into. Maybe those Heller DC-6's may be a source of parts, after all.

Red Roo offer a set of 1-piece resin Merlins intended for the Lincoln B.2 without exhaust shrouds. Scroll down the page until you see "AVRO/GAF Lincoln Exhausts - no shrouds". On first glance, they seem to scream 'North Star'. Can anyone verify if they will indeed work for a North Star?

(https://www.redroomodels.com/red-roo-resin-172/avrogaf-lincoln-exhausts-no-shrouds)

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley
  • Like 2

Thanks Gary. Like I said, they screamed 'North Star' when I looked at the photo on the Red Roo site and they sure look better than the one's I used on my previous build (resin casts based on the vac-form Merlins supplied in the Rareplanes kit). If I ever see the Revell kit listed at a decent price ($80Cdn at Hannants, is not decent, esp with a limited income), I hope to pick one up for myself. My other one's now in the hands of the RCAF museum at CFB Trenton.

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley

• 1 year later...

Here's something to whet your appetite....I have it on good authority that AIM72 will be releasing a 1/72 Merlin engine conversion set for the Canadair North Star/Argonaut.

Neil has informed me that he is expecting the masters for the engines, exhausts and props to arrive in the very near future, so watch this space!

XVTonker

On a more sombre note.

It was an Argonaut, G-ALHK "Atalanta" of BOAC that brought the new Sovereign back to the UK from Kenya following the death of her father, King George VI, in February 1952.

Not the first aircraft to carry her as Queen, that honour fell to a Dakota, although which one I still have not ascertained.

mTtcC3K.jpg

I suppose that sufficient time has passed to be able to suggest that the above would make an excellent Diaorama

Dennis

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My apologies, I should have added the information from the link below regarding the Future release from AIM72 for 1/72 conversions to build the following Canadair North Star/Argonaut variants, TCA, RCAF & BOAC.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235005001-canadair-argonaut-conversion/

Neil is currently finalising the designs of the masters for each of the different exhaust crossover cowlings for each of the variants.

XVTonker :pilot:

• Like 1

The North Star was in effect a shortened DC-6, but as the center fuselages of the DC-4/6/7 were identical in dimension and contour, the North Star is for all practical purposes (and in appearance) a DC-4 with Merlin engines.

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Like 1