Japanese helicopters

Red Dot

hi all,

here are some Japanese helicopters to get your modelling creative juices flowing.

UH-60-JGSDF-16_zps88lmi2nq.jpg

UH-60-JASDF-2_zpsxyndtsju.jpg

SH-60-JMSDF-1_zpsxlp5cbg3.jpg

OH-6-JGSDF-1_zpspnref9cm.jpg

MCH-101-JMSDF_zps17pjk2hg.jpg

OH-1-JGSDF-1_zpsukehnq1f.jpg

Bell-212-Japan-Coast-Guard-2_zpso3fq6f7l

AH-64-JGSDF-3_zpsagocjzvc.jpg

H-21-JASDF-3_zps0l5b13ax.jpg

EC-225-JGSDF_zpsapwkqbhf.jpg

AH-1-JGSDF-1_zpsnd0bauys.jpg

CH-47-JASDF-4_zpsr20z7vze.jpg

Didn't dare put the blue ones on otherwise you might get too excited!

Andy

• Like 4

If you like helicopters, next time you're in Japan, I recommend you a visit to Omura AB near Nagasaki and to Kanoya AB in southern Kyushu. ;-)

Kanoya's heli apron spot point. Perfect from noon till the end of the day.

KANOYA_zps1lgljmui.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

That looks a bit like my small stash Julien except that I prefer 1/48 if I can get it. I have only got a couple of helicopters though. I must admit that the Japanese ones are extremely tempting to make but I am more interested in the planes at the moment. I keep telling myself that I want to complete the MH-53 though!

Hi Andy, many thanks for posting the pics, I've always liked the colour schemes for the Japanese helos, a little different form the rest. Thanks.

Colin

That looks a bit like my small stash Julien except that I prefer 1/48 if I can get it. I have only got a couple of helicopters though. I must admit that the Japanese ones are extremely tempting to make but I am more interested in the planes at the moment. I keep telling myself that I want to complete the MH-53 though!

Most of the OH-6's are 1.48 but the Cobra's are 1/72. All special schemes.

Are there any decals for a Japanese MH-53? as I have the kit but no decals for it.

Julien

Hi Juulien,

Sadly there are no MH-53 decals i know of. The only hint was the ridiculously priced Wolfpack version of the Academy kit which included the 'right' decals. The decal sheet worked out at around £65 as no resin was included! I was semi-interested but as Wolfpack never replied to any e-mails, i came to my senses. Seems to be an issue with them.

However, all is not lost as the stencils on JMSDF MH-53s are in English ( provided in the kit ) and big black numbers / hinomarus should be easy to source or mask and paint

There are some great videos on YouTube showing the rotors folding automatically and it makes you realise just how big the helicopter is.

Andy

Edited by Red Dot

nice photos homebee. I haven't seen the EC135 or MH-53 in the metal but would love to one day.

Don't suppose you have a walkaround on the MH do you?

Where were the pictures taken?

nice ones Homebee. I've done a few of those bases too but never Iwakuni, Omura or Tokushima. Maybe next time as photo access seems good. What length of lens were you using typically?

Sigma 28-70mm f2.8

Sigma 70-200mm f2.8

Sigma 120-300mm f2.8

Nikkor 80-400 mm f4.5-5.6

Take care Iwakuni is only interesting when Runway 20 is in use.

Whatever the runway in use no problem at Omura (only good in the morning) or Tokushima (good all day from different spots)

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

Sigma 28-70mm f2.8Sigma 70-200mm f2.8Sigma 120-300mm f2.8Nikkor 80-400 mm f4.5-5.6Take care Iwakuni is only interesting when Runway 20 is in use.Whatever the runway in use no problem at Omura (only good in the morning) or Tokushima (good all day)V.P.

thanks for the tips. I had heard that Iwakuni was poor but it is nice to hear about the others too. my longest focal length word be 300mm plus 1.4x converter on a full frame camera, all of which is a bit short for Iwakuni even if I can crop a lot more than a cropped sensor.

I will see if I can get a few more helicopters onto the thread as it seems to be well liked