revell 1/48 panavia tornado ids

ok,so this has been my first serious attempt at model building.its been a build of many firsts for me.first time using fillers,first time airbrushing,first time attempting panel washes etc etc etc

it has many errors,but,i have a mental note off all the errors i can see,and know of.i wont make the same ones again.this build has been a huge learning curve for me.

please be honest with your comments,i will take any critisism on the chin and learn from it.

hope you like

image.jpg9.jpg

image.jpg1.jpg

image.jpg11.jpg

image.jpg10.jpg

image.jpg2.jpg

image.jpg3.jpg

image.jpg8.jpg

image.jpg4.jpg

image.jpg6.jpg

image.jpg5.jpg

ps,sorry for the poor images,was taken on my phone

daz

• Like 8

Wow! You certainly chose a pretty challenging kit in a challenging scheme for your first serious attempt. Very well done, though! The gear could do with being straightened up a little - possibly it needed a little longer for the glue to set properly before bearing any weight?

Onwards and upwards!

Cheers,

Andrew

This is not an easy kit to build by all accounts, and you've done a cracking job!

Just take your time with the fitment of all the final bits n pieces like the air brakes/ thrust reversers, and gear. It's always tempting to just chuck them all on at the end in the excitement of reaching this point, but they can either make or break an otherwise excellent build.

Very nice work, I'd have been well chuffed if my first airbrush attempt had been this good.

Rgds,

Eng

It may be a small step for Modelling but for this particular Modeller it's a huge, and impressively successful, step!

Not being very familiar with the Tonka, I have to ask if it's really advisable (or even technically feasible) to deploy the thrust reverser buckets on one engine only. I could imagine bad things happening on a wet and slippery runway…

Very ambitious build and, apart perhaps from the exaggerated splay of the main gear, I can see no indication on the photos that this fine model wasn't built by an old hand.

Really nice work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thank you for all the positive comments guys.it means a lot.im fairly happy with it,but I know there's things needing improvement.

As for the thruster buckets ( or whatever they are called,sorry don't know all the tech terms) i just copied the illustration on the box.however.it clearly shows these being black but the instructions tell you to paint it steel( can't remember the exact colour).

Thing is,I need to get to the model shop quick,im itching to get on with the next build.

I will try to put better photos up later..it actually looks better in the flesh.

Daz

I think you've achieved a really nice result there, especially as a novice with the airbrush - good job. I had a similar issue with the landing gear on a Revell 1/32 Tornado, which splayed over time, just one of many reasons why that one didn't make an appearance on here!

About the thrust reversers, what I meant to say that realistically, they would normally be deployed for both engines at the same time – not only one on the stbd engine as your model has it.

The two top rows of pics here show what I mean: https://www.google.se/search?q=tornado+thrust+reversers&biw=1391&bih=848&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=7qf4VJnkD8r7ywOe44K4Cg&ved=0CB8QsAQ&dpr=0.9#tbm=isch&tbs=rimg%3ACQMZccq2ylxOIjg1WmDYD4vYR_1a0AngnJDn1A3luXMZvXmp12meT9GKKwxJ5XfpW9abUbevgtUeV4yNrqL92n-wNvCoSCTVaYNgPi9hHERst4a2XYycCKhIJ9rQCeCckOfURyXK-ZfpXGN0qEgkDeW5cxm9eahGHGen31As8jyoSCXXaZ5P0YorDEeosNMnWHHTkKhIJEnld-lb1ptQRobUMwoNTMyUqEglt6-C1R5XjIxGg4Z-bJZWGPyoSCWuov3af7A28Ef2-pYftHq5G&q=tornado%20thrust%20reversers&imgdii=_

As you can see, they are basically steel colour, as you have correctly rendered them, but they are deployed for both engines during the landning/breaking phase.

Kind regards,

Joachim

You picked a hard colour scheme to do as you first serious model! You should be really pleased with it. You've made a great job all round. Don't be hard on yourself, this is a really good model. And the fact you had so many first on it, only adds to what a great model you ended up with. Well done.

About the thrust reversers, what I meant to say that realistically, they would normally be deployed for both engines at the same time – not only one on the stbd engine as your model has it.

The two top rows of pics here show what I mean: https://www.google.se/search?q=tornado+thrust+reversers&biw=1391&bih=848&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=7qf4VJnkD8r7ywOe44K4Cg&ved=0CB8QsAQ&dpr=0.9#tbm=isch&tbs=rimg%3ACQMZccq2ylxOIjg1WmDYD4vYR_1a0AngnJDn1A3luXMZvXmp12meT9GKKwxJ5XfpW9abUbevgtUeV4yNrqL92n-wNvCoSCTVaYNgPi9hHERst4a2XYycCKhIJ9rQCeCckOfURyXK-ZfpXGN0qEgkDeW5cxm9eahGHGen31As8jyoSCXXaZ5P0YorDEeosNMnWHHTkKhIJEnld-lb1ptQRobUMwoNTMyUqEglt6-C1R5XjIxGg4Z-bJZWGPyoSCWuov3af7A28Ef2-pYftHq5G&q=tornado%20thrust%20reversers&imgdii=_

As you can see, they are basically steel colour, as you have correctly rendered them, but they are deployed for both engines during the landning/breaking phase.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Ahh,I see..well,again,another lesson learned..thank you.and thank you all for your kind words.

Daz

Yeah,there were a few to go at..lol..however,after seeing the ones on the phantom thread,I think I got away lightly..

Daz

This is not an easy kit to build by all accounts, and you've done a cracking job!

Just take your time with the fitment of all the final bits n pieces like the air brakes/ thrust reversers, and gear. It's always tempting to just chuck them all on at the end in the excitement of reaching this point, but they can either make or break an otherwise excellent build.

Very nice work, I'd have been well chuffed if my first airbrush attempt had been this good.

I have to agree 100% with the above comment. Not an easy kit (nor subject) to be used for all those "first times", and luckily it didn't put you off. The decal job is absolutely brilliant.

You'll improve very quickly, if you keep up this way. If I may add a couple more suggestions:

- try to improve the pictures. A better pic will help you identifying things to correct/improve and show us the effects you gave to the model. Panel wash, for instance, isn't clearly visible from pics above. A good light source and a minimum of area setup, and you get good photos even from a phone

- post a WIP of your next build: Britmodeller is full of people with a lot of knowledge and willing to help, by sharing info on the real AC and on modelling techniques. This can definitely make you a better modeller.

Having said that, my first attempt at airbrushing turned out miserable, especially if compared to yours. Keep it up!

Ciao

I have to agree 100% with the above comment. Not an easy kit (nor subject) to be used for all those "first times", and luckily it didn't put you off. The decal job is absolutely brilliant.

You'll improve very quickly, if you keep up this way. If I may add a couple more suggestions:

- try to improve the pictures. A better pic will help you identifying things to correct/improve and show us the effects you gave to the model. Panel wash, for instance, isn't clearly visible from pics above. A good light source and a minimum of area setup, and you get good photos even from a phone

- post a WIP of your next build: Britmodeller is full of people with a lot of knowledge and willing to help, by sharing info on the real AC and on modelling techniques. This can definitely make you a better modeller.

Having said that, my first attempt at airbrushing turned out miserable, especially if compared to yours. Keep it up!

Ciao

Thank you for the kind words..yes,the photo as are pants..I have no excuse really as I do have a very good camera.

I will try to do a WIP but will probably end up so engrossed i will probably forget to take photos.we will see.

My new build is a f4 c/d phantom 1/48,again a revell kit ( I do like revell). It's nowhere near as challenging so it may turn out better still..fingers crossed

Daz