1/72 Aoshima Kawasaki Ki-100

Other than group builds I haven't done any WIPs, mainly because sometimes I work very, very slowly, especially when work in the real world (booo) gets in the way.

But I haven't seen much online about this kit so I thought it may interest a few people to see what it's like. I picked it up last year on a trip to Japan, together with the Ki-100 II and a Finemolds Ki-61, all very reasonably priced. Japanese hobby stores are a sight to behold and given time/money/room in my luggage I could have gone mental! I picked up a few little tools and paints and some Finemolds seatbelts, which I'll use on this, and that was about it.

Here's the contents, if I miss anything let me know and I'll get some better shots. Everything looks very nice, no idea about accuracy or if it all fits but that will become apparent quite soon.

Cheers

Segan

ki-100-6_zpsivwoe22i.jpgki-100-3_zpses1752tx.jpg

ki-100-4_zpsnzmce9on.jpg

ki-100-5_zpsnqwzvtbw.jpg

Here are the Finemold seatbelts I'll be using

ki-100-2_zpsg5ovjs1k.jpg

And here's the rather good new Kagero book on the type that just arrived.

ki-100-1_zps8vxucxr8.jpg

• Like 2

I am very excited to see this come to life here, I really like the Aoshima "George" line and they have IMO the nicest panel lines out there. It looks to me from your photos that this kit is fairly well detailed too.

P.s. my brother in law went Tokyo on vacation and told me all about the hobby shops, had me drooling and considering taking up Japanese. All he brought me back was an Evangelion mug though... the bugger. :)

• Like 1

P.s. my brother in law went Tokyo on vacation and told me all about the hobby shops, had me drooling and considering taking up Japanese. All he brought me back was an Evangelion mug though... the bugger. :)

I guess that's better than nothing...just! The hobby stores near me in LA are great for paints and supplies, etc but they don't have a huge selection of kits. The ones in Japan were just chock full of kits and accessories and all kinds of crazy goodies. It was nice to actually browse through kits, reminded me of being a child and going to my local model shop in Teddington, now sadly defunct, I don't even think it had a huge selection but to me it was like an Aladdin's cave! I got that same sense of wonder in Japan, you'd have a whole floor of aeroplane kits, a whole floor of armour and so on, each floor would have an amazing section of built kits on display. Was brilliant!

This weekend I hope to get some work done on the pit, here's a closer look at some of the plastic, the level of detail is very nice indeed, ejection pin mark on the seat but it's pretty shallow. Did a very quick check of the dimensions against the plans in the Kagero book and it seems spot on.

Cheers

Segan

ki-100-7_zpsprpl8ir3.jpg

• Like 1

I guess that's better than nothing...just! The hobby stores near me in LA are great for paints and supplies, etc but they don't have a huge selection of kits...

BM Member MikeW and I had a similar conversation about the greater LA shops, I mentioned to him as well that I got to visit Brookhurst Hobbies in Garden Grove though I didn't fully appreciate it as it was right after a 5 hour flight. A few more were mentioned but I forget which now.

The Japanese stores would absolutely bankrupt me. A complete floor for categories sounds amazing. When you consider the space premium in Japan then it becomes all the more impressive that hobby culture is so strong there. Maybe we'll get that here in North America someday. I am happy though that at least one department store style chain carries kits (not great ones, but kits).

That interior looks very well detailed. It also looks like the fit will be straightforward by the amount of locating slots and holes I see. Lookin' good!

BM Member MikeW and I had a similar conversation about the greater LA shops, I mentioned to him as well that I got to visit Brookhurst Hobbies in Garden Grove though I didn't fully appreciate it as it was right after a 5 hour flight. A few more were mentioned but I forget which now.

Brookhurst is great but a fair trip aways from me and in a direction I rarely go in! The main two I use are Burbank House of Hobbies and Kit Kraft, both excellent for supplies and materials.

Got the cockpit together, it all fits very nicely and the level of detail is great. I used the FineMolds seat belts and not overly impressed. If I use then again I will glue them to the seat and then paint them rather than the way I did it. They have some nice detail but don't bend quite as well as PE and also a bit fat for 1/72. I think for 1/48 or larger they are probably a little better.

The only other problem I had was completely of my own making. I bought some Mr.Color paint while in Japan for this kit, I knew it was acrylic so I made a bold assumption that water and iso would be great for thinning it. Oh dear, my airbrush started shooting something that was a cross between green spiderwebs and candyfloss! So after a quick go on the Googles (and about 10 minutes cleaning my brush)I found out out it was a lacquer based acrylic and not water. Never assume anything and research new products before use, not after!

Going to test fit the main parts today and hopefully get through main construction this week.

Cheers

Segan

ki-100-8_zpsdto0eztz.jpg

ki-100-9_zpswhzltpsf.jpg

• Like 3

Well l bite the bullet and got the Aoshima kit only after comparing the two and found the Aoshima kit the better of the two.

Don't think you'll be disappointed, just test fitted the main parts and everything fits lovely and the level of detail is great

• 1 month later...

Finally managed to do a little bit on this. The main components all go together very nicely, such a pleasant change after the short run IAR-80 i just completed. There will be minimal filling and sanding. The exhausts and nose guns are separate inserts and nice and delicate. Hopefully this week I'll get as far as painting.

ki-100-10_zpsry8lhfce.jpg

Nearly ready for paint! Everything went together very well and only minimal sanding and filling.

ki-100-12_zpsohnsx84a.jpg

All the small lights are molded on the kit but they do supply tiny clear replacements if one is so inclined, which I am. 7 in all and a larger landing light, the wing tips have two small lights, top and under surface, each as opposed to the usual clear tip configuration.

ki-100-11_zpsp9t2b50c.jpg

• Like 2

Looking really good so far and appears quite similar to a Zero?

Your paint issue could be due to Mr Color Gunze paints are enamel paints where the acrylic Gunze are Mr Hobby and water based.

Thanks Homerlovesbeer! I think Mr Color are actually acrylic but they are a solvent based acrylic as opposed to the more usual water base, so they pretty much act like enamels!

Got a bit of paint on her. Alclad aluminium all over and grey green control surfaces.

ki-100-15_zpse9imy6yi.jpg

ki-100-13_zpsizx2vxge.jpg

Next I'll add the yellow wing leading edge markings, these are supplied as decals but I prefer to paint them. Then I'm going to use the hairspray technique and do the green topsurfaces. Wasn't sure hairspray would work with the lacquer based paint but a little trawling on the wonder web and doing some tests on plastic card and it seems to work okay. I think the only thing is there is less work time, we'll see how it goes next week!

ki-100-14_zpsni7sigt2.jpg

Edited by Misterfriend
  • Like 1

Admire your courage and your work so far. I have the same kit but, being unable to read the Japanese text, am somewhat confused. Looking at the Mr Color colours I seem to see that one alternative is to mix Flat black with "Steel". Is this the Charcoal grey that has been mentioned in the past? The second alternative in the diagram says, pretty clearly, Dark Green, also mentioned before. Neither look like the box art which I presume is the Olive-Grey 7, which the Cosford example is apparently supposed to be. Are we supposed to pick whichever takes our fancy? What's your decision anyway?

I also can't find any suggestion for the undersurface at all. I see you've painted yours metallic Aluminium all over so I assume, pardon the presumption,that that is the way you intend to leave it.

Also, from the box art, the cockpit and the piece behind the pilot match the exterior which I haven't seen before. I know that kit instructions are somebody else's opinion but I find these a little more inscrutable than normal. If you've got any advice I'd welcome it but the weathering process is more important.

Thanks Dalea! Yeah the paint call outs aren't very clear but in general the instructions aren't too bad and it's a fairly straight forward build. Go for it you wont be disappointed! The scheme I'm going for is green top surfaces and bare metal undersurfaces, which I think is a fairly typical scheme. I've painted the whole thing aluminium as I want to make the olive quite worn with metal showing through. The green I'm using is Mr Color 130, Kawasaki Dark Green, it's similar to an olive green, and the same colour I used for the cockpit.

The Kagero book is great reference and I heartily recommend it.

cheers

Segan

Painted it green! Used the hairspray technique, was a bit problematic at first, the paint reacted a bit funny with the hairspray and went a bit odd at first but seems to have worked out ok. Made some masks using tamiya tape and painted the underside Hinomaru. The red is a mix of Tamiya XF-7 and bit of Vellejo Cavalry Brown which is like an oxblood leather colour.

ki-100-17_zpss4y4uoiu.jpg

ki-100-16_zpslpld5esm.jpg

• Like 2