1/72 AZ Spitfire IIB - 303 Sqn

I actually started this build in late December while waiting for the P-40 STGB to start. Since then, I've been planting Spitfire in-progress pics in my GB thread - like subliminal advertising. I figured that it may be more appropriate to give it its own thread.

This is a short-run AZ kit, and it is the first short-run kit I've attempted (an AZ Kittyhawk IA ended up beating it to the finish line though.)

Although not nearly as fun to build as the new Airfix I/IIA kit, it wasn't as difficult as I had feared:

IMG_1252_zps3d20ee7c.jpg

The cockpit is almost certainly not in the right place, but it fits where I placed it, so no complaints.

I painted it overall Sky with Humbrol 90 cut with some light grey.

IMG_1410_zpsgkpvtx7g.jpg

As is becoming standard for me with WWII prop builds, I first brushed/buffed on some MM Aluminum metalizer on the wing roots for later chipping.

• Like 2

The Dark Earth is Vallejo lightened with a few drops of white:

IMG_1414_zpsobe19c5w.jpg

Still looks a little dark to me. I then copied a weathering technique from Wolwe's P-40M build, where he used a sponge to apply masking fluid to the base scheme, and sprayed a slightly different shade on top. In this case I added a few drops of Lifecolor Tan to the Vallejo Dark Earth.

IMG_1416_zpsmisjh07p.jpg

IMG_1417_zpsw8hif9kk.jpg

It worked, thanks Wolwe!

• Like 8

I like what you've done so far.

I've got several of AZ's Spitfire Mk1b/ MkIIb/ MkV/ MkVI in the stash (they're all the same moulding with different bits to add or remove) and I found the one I've done to be relatively straightforward, not as easy as an Airfix Spitfire Mk1 though.

• Like 1

Very nice! Your first short-run kit (started)? I've built dozens - I actually enjoy them quite a bit. They of course can be a bit more challenging than a regular production kit, but I think that's part of the fun. And you can find some very interesting subjects (I mean a Boeing XF8B-1 - Valom does one!). You might just find yourself hooked.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

Thanks Beard and Jason, I think this kit was a great introduction to short-run modelling for me. The AZ/Legato P-40 was a more difficult build, but within my still limited skill set. I'm currently working on a pair of Sword P-40's and they are coming along, but the results are not as nice this or the AZ P-40.

I used paper masks that I learned about from Procopius to mask off the Dark Earth:

IMG_1418_zpslhyyusk6.jpg

And used the same weathering technique on the Dark Green portion:

IMG_1421_zpseedyhmbf.jpg

And here is where it stands today:

IMG_1422_zpsg2ybvids.jpg

Edited by Cookenbacher
  • Like 8

That technique really adds depth and realism to the scale. I wouldn't call your skill set limited anymore Cookenbacher, I think you've accelerated your skills beyond mine a long time ago. :)

• Like 2

Oh, I don't know about that MG, I've seen your latest P-40's and they are pretty dang amazing.

The most important skill I've learned recently is to find builds that I like and then ask the builder how they did it. People on BM are incredibly willing to help newbs out, and I hope to be as gracious whenever I'm good enough for people to start asking about techniques.

• Like 1

Looking good, Cookie! Despite thinking about Spitfires...pretty much all the time, I still struggle to get the cockpit placement right in AZ kits. My secret shame, laid bare!

• Like 3

I think you're doing an excellent job on this Spitfire. Just had a butcher's at a couple of AZ Spitfires I have - the PR Mk.IG and the FR. Mk. IXc (both in that lovely light pink scheme!). They're both actually quite nice, especially the FR.IXc. I didn't realise I'd done so much work on them. If I didn't have the attention span of a sand flea, I could probably finish them both off in a couple of weeks.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

I feel like we should issue a challenge to Jason, something like if he can finish one Lancaster within a set time, we'll have a whip-'round and mail him a new kit to start and then leave lying fallow.

• Like 2

I feel like we should issue a challenge to Jason, something like if he can finish one Lancaster within a set time, we'll have a whip-'round and mail him a new kit to start and then leave lying fallow.

PC, I start my kits and get them to a stage that I feel is more than ready for the magic elves to finish, but they never seem to touch them, no matter how long I leave the semi-completed models out. Although I do like the idea of a new kit to open, fondle, lovingly cut from the sprues, carefully paint the interior, glue the wings and fuselage together, gently sand the seams out of, then leave for a decade or so to mellow.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Jason, your method does ensure that the putty has fully cured and won't shrink into the seams.

The trick with the elves is to leave your unfinished build in a shoebox. It will only work once or twice before the elves get wise though.

Is the AZ FR Mk IXC one of their new tools?

• Like 4

I think you're doing an excellent job on this Spitfire. Just had a butcher's at a couple of AZ Spitfires I have - the PR Mk.IG and the FR. Mk. IXc (both in that lovely light pink scheme!). They're both actually quite nice, especially the FR.IXc. I didn't realise I'd done so much work on them. If I didn't have the attention span of a sand flea, I could probably finish them both off in a couple of weeks.

Last year, before maturity struck me, I thought upon pink spitfires with amusement. Now, I collect them.

• Like 3

Yep, poor fit of spinner and prop, otherwise mighty nice.

I'll have to look out for that, PC. Otherwise, as you say, it seems very nice. It looks like all I need to do is button up the fuselage (the cockpit looks fairly well done), glue on the wings, sand down the fuselage, and let it sit. For awhile. Regarding the pink Spitfires, MG, I think I now have three or four of them (none finished, of course). In addition to the two I've already mentioned, I have a pink PR.X, by Special Hobby. Now that's a rarity - took me forever to track one down.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

...I have a pink PR.X, by Special Hobby. Now that's a rarity - took me forever to track one down.

As do I. It didn't take me long though, it showed up in my field of view and I snapped it up like a greedy Crocodile on the River Nile during Wildebeest season.

I am partial to the PR spits, not sure why, but I assume it is all about the special schemes they wore that set them apart.

• Like 1

I'd like to have every roman numeral and 21+ (missing the 23) and I am on track, but there are a few that elude me. Griffon Spits are the preferred type for me, but anything Vb onwards is in the must have territory.

• Like 3

Thanks Cookie, I'll try to do it proud.

... I snapped it up like a greedy Crocodile on the River Nile during Wildebeest season.

You MUST watch this (and their other stuff. If you have kids then you'll have been here)

• Like 4

Just a little progress to report. The prop and spinner are from the Airfix Spitfire I/IIA kit, that I'm planning on building as a 92 Sqn IA. The Airfix I and IIA use the same back plate for both spinner types, so I had to modify the AZ one to fit.

IMG_1434_zpscfp5aznd.jpg

IMG_1437_zpsukydwm7a.jpg

I touched up where the Dark Earth had run under the masking tape, and had to do some repair around the canopy where the masking took a bit of Micro Crystal Clear with it.

IMG_1443_zpsawl6ifxg.jpg

• Like 8