The Logical choice.

stevej60

Hi all, I was busy ordering a Helicopter kit from king Kit on Friday and checking out the TV/film section(searching once again in

vain for that Starsky and Hutch Torino) and saw these AMT figures for a tenner and with the sad news of Leonard Nimoy,s

passing,well it was a no brainer! It arrived today and apart from the fact I,ve never seen a vinyl kit I was surprised how detailed

and big it was.I won,t get a start for a week or so until I have finished a few aircraft kits but looking forward to a new Genre.I

also need some advice on what glue to get and any pointers to what primer would be needed for it.

SDC12973%20640x478_zpsavijouwm.jpgSDC12976%20640x480_zps7kiue82h.jpg

• Like 9

Looks nice.

Superglue for vinyl. Automotive primer should be used. Be aware that enamel paint straight onto bare vinyl will NEVER dry.

To minimise any fit issues you can warm the vinyl in hot water, or use a hair dryer. The vinyl will go soft, you can then bend and adjust part fits or pose positions, then plunge into cold water to set.

The only vinyl kit I had recommended milliput to fill, but I would have thought most fillers would work.

Have fun with the kit, as you can see very good detail can be moulded in vinyl.

Also it might be advisable to fill the hollow legs with plaster of Paris, to make it stable.

When you have finished, put the kit somewhere cool to display, as if it is left in a warm spot, or direct sunlight, it will soften up and sag.

Hope that helps.

Matt

Edited by S5 modeller
  • Like 1

Looks nice.

Superglue for vinyl. Automotive primer should be used. Be aware that enamel paint straight onto bare vinyl will NEVER dry.

To minimise any fit issues you can warm the vinyl in hot water, or use a hair dryer. The vinyl will go soft, you can then bend and adjust part fits or pose positions, then plunge into cold water to set.

The only vinyl kit I had recommended milliput to fill, but I would have thought most fillers would work.

Have fun with the kit, as you can see very good detail can be moulded in vinyl.

Also it might be advisable to fill the hollow legs with plaster of Paris, to make it stable.

When you have finished, put the kit somewhere cool to display, as if it is left in a warm spot, or direct sunlight, it will soften up and sag.

Hope that helps.

Matt

Thanks for the info Matt,I,ve got a can of halfords primer in the shed so only superglue to get.

I know just the place :winkgrin:

Evening all,got the necesarry superglue this morning so as a break from my aircraft builds I trimmed off the molding "things" and ten minutes later

the main pieces are assembled(why can,t all kit,s be like this),I filled the gaps around the arms primed then tonight re-filled with flexi~filler a couple

of spots that needed it.Last job was a coat of Humbrol acrylic black on the boots which brushes beautifully and dries with a satin sheen which looks

pretty good.Thanks for looking in.

SDC12985%20640x480_zpsai6r9lj5.jpg

• Like 5

Great start Steve. I bet it does seem vastly different from aircraft builds!

Thanks Stix,yes it reminds me of the Airfix 1/12 figures I used to build when I was young,I have a 1/16 model T Ford to build and the lovely little Airfix

Mary Rose which were Christmas presents so a couple of different builds coming up!

• Like 1

Hi folks,I,ve put the planes in the cupboard for a few days and picking up on this and a few other kits,I used NATO black for the trousers as a

contrast of the pure black boots and mixed my own blue from photo,s on the web.These are really quick,big and satisfying kits to build ideal if

like me the painting is really what you like to do.I will give the shirt a second coat and then the dreaded head and hands!

SDC12987%20640x480_zpsqin3xpst.jpg

• Like 7

This is lookin great.

I've never seen one of these kits but am now really tempted. I was looking at them on Friday night.

Keep up the good work, can't wait to see the finished article.

Rick

Thanks Rick,I love them great for a quick build and beautifully molded,KK had Kirk and Mcoy as pre owned but I think they can be picked up quite

a few places.

Morning folks,a little bit progress,the base coat on the face and hands and Hair plus white of the eyes,I gave the flesh tone a slight yellow tone

as per real photo,s of Spock,s complexion,now just need some shading and detailing.Great fun this!

SDC13021%20640x471_zpse7phgcyu.jpg

• Like 6

Nice tribute. ^_^ Does his head look a bit large to you? Does a bit to me :hmmm: His expression on the boxtop example looks like he's thinking "Was that parp or poop?" :wicked:

• Like 1

Nice work! I agree with Mike that head is a bit big (quite common on vinyl kits from what I've seen) but it captures the character very well.

Congrats on the fast (first?) completion.

Will

• Like 1

Nice tribute. ^_^ Does his head look a bit large to you? Does a bit to me :hmmm: His expression on the boxtop example looks like he's thinking "Was that parp or poop?" :wicked:

I would definitely agree about the head Mike!