Dark Eldar Talos Pain Engine

Hi guys, I thought I'd upload some of my older GW builds. I haven't done any for a while now as the price for the newer kits is getting pretty steep and the designs aren't what they once were but as stand alone models they make great builds and are useful for trying new techniques that can then be applied to regular models.

So to start with this is the Talos Pain Engine given a corroded finish with Model Mates rust effects and some hairspray chipping.

Enjoy the shots

10310347023_be62b77062_b.jpg

10310140034_4440b4d1e2_b.jpg

10310147805_cc3398d288_b.jpg

10310276903_5dd358e665_c.jpg

10310073994_a6eaaef468_c.jpg

10310121536_01bf093fd2_c.jpg

10310113786_666f8f3d00_c.jpg

Thanks for looking

Andy

• Like 7

You don't see too many of them! Really stunning work and a fascinating subject -more than a little Patrick Woodroffe (Pentateuch Of The Cosmogony/Second Earth style) about it; weird but somehow beautiful on its own terms...

:goodjob:

(Actually, a GREAT one!)

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys

Wow, that is superb...

Have you got a progress thread on this?

No, sadly not. It went together really fast and I never got round to taking any shots. The process was pretty simple though. The carapace and the other armour bits were stippled with putty to give them a bit of texture then base coated in a dark rust followed by the Model Mates rust effect. It was then given a coat of hairspray and the green added and chipped. The skin and bone parts were based in a pale ivory then given various washes to bring out the details.

You don't see too many of them! Really stunning work and a fascinating subject -more than a little Patrick Woodroffe (Pentateuch Of The Cosmogony/Second Earth style) about it; weird but somehow beautiful on its own terms...

(Actually, a GREAT one!)

I wouldn't be surprised if Patrick Woodroffe is one of the artists that the GW sculptors use as inspiration. I was always a Rodney Matthews fan myself, until he became born again and started painting bible scenes.

Andy

• Like 2

That is phenomenal, love the rust. I've got a lot of 40K stuff but not any Dark Eldar. I've never seen this particular model before but it is a vicious looking beast!

Have to agree about GW prices, they're ridiculous for some items now. I used to really like Citadel paints but they're expensive now and they keep changing the names.

Finnthedude.

• Like 1

That's deliciously creepy Andy. The colours and techniques would work well for Nurgle stuff as well as Dark Eldar.Will

Thanks Will. I'd got Nurgle in mind when I painted it. It seemed to suit it more than the regular delineated Dark Eldar scheme which I've never been much of a fan of.