1/8 Citroen Traction Avant - revisited

Some weathering is needed around the front end of the bodywork.

Areas like the lip of maroon surrounding the engine bay need to be dirty.
The panels near the cradle should be dirty, dusty and maybe a little surface rust.

I want the body to be clean and shiny like a looked after car, but it's a daily driver, so should be weathered underneath etc accordingly....

Roy.

P1010013%202_zpswvtxnpwz.jpg

P1010014_zpsh0yosotd.jpg

P1010012%202_zpsowpglign.jpg

• Like 2

This is turning into a great build on a subject that I must admit I wasn't to keen on at the beginning. Roy, you have the ability to turn anything into a great build just by your workmanship! What can I say; everything from the under hood weathering, the great color choices for the body and beautiful seats and Upholstry work are all spot on. This is a great example of how to take each section of the kit subassemblies and treat them as a model in and of themselves. Once you start joining them together it really comes alive. Excellent work Roy! If I didn't already have more kits than I know what to do with I would be tempted to buy this one as others have done. It is a testament to your skills that you have inspired so many others to go out and buy this kit. I think this is what Codger and I were talking about early on in this thread when we suggested you create a more in depth build log; it inspires others to emulate you and is just pure entertainment for others that enjoy understanding the thought process and results achieved by a fine craftsman of miniatures.

Wayne

Wow.....

Some seriously kind words there Wayne that I'm not sure I deserve.

If my waffling, rambling chatter has encouraged others to have a go at this kit then I'm really glad.

It really IS a superb kit.

I've started to weather down the bits of bodywork that shouldn't be as shiny as the 'bits that everyone see's'.

In other words, where the door hinges are - usually grubby and ignored.

Under the body side sills, usually grubby and not washed as thoroughly as the 'main' body.

Where the bonnet/hood shuts. Rarely cleaned.

I'm sure you all know the bits I'm talking about from your own 1:1 cars.

The rear end still needs weathering...

Roy.

13_zpsvuerhxev.jpg

14_zpsyinamlkh.jpg

• Like 1

Are you sure that isn't a real Citroen, that has been placed on your workbench with a bit of photography witchcraft!!

On a serious note, this look's more incredible with every photo you put on here. I have run out of 'wow' type word's to use, and I am truly gobsmacked.

Larry.

P.S. Not brave enough to start mine yet! But this is certainly getting the juices flowing.

Edited by foxfriend

Nice words Larry...

Many thanks.

I've started the MOUNTAIN of wiring...

The kit comes with two HUGE rubber frets of wires.

...I'm not using them.

I'm making my own wiring loom so that 'hopefully' it will look a bit more realistic.

Three parts fitted - 5 hours work.

GULP !

Roy.

10_zps03eiwvwm.jpg

P1010081_zpsasdg3bbz.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 3

That does indeed look very realistic. How are you doing that? I can see why it is taking so long!!

Where are you finding reference's for such detail's?

Edited by foxfriend

Many thanks.

The kit actually comes with a really comprehensive wiring diagram, and some HUGE frets of cables.

My reference is umpteen Googled pictures of old Avants.

I'm taking the kit cable and copying it using real fine wire, surgical fabric tape and then painting it with matt black and a dusting of matt earth.

A bit more artists acrylics for weathering when the cables are fitted.

Where the cables have more than two wires - some of them have 6 or 7 - I just add the 'extra' wires to the basic loom as I'm wrapping it.

Roy.

P1010064_zpsfssvhfms.jpg

P1010065_zps8fxla6ri.jpg

P1010066_zpszrutv9ey.jpg

P1010068_zpswo9s9wjv.jpg

P1010071_zpsma7mrmzm.jpg

Edited by roymattblack

Hope to see a build thread going soon then.....

An update...

I've added a load of wires/cables/pipes to the engine bay now and I'm wondering where on earth the engine will go!!!

I have managed to get a lot quicker at wiring loom fabricating so the last lot didn't take as long as yesterdays meagre offerings.

Some of the recent pipes and wires etc still need weathering down considerably.

Stiff glass (or three) of Chardonnay needed now though.

Engine fitting next.

Roy.

P1010129%202_zpsw01stuzg.jpg

P1010131%202_zpshjhphyrx.jpg

P1010130%202_zpsbatumcvw.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 3

Epic stuff, Roy.

Of course we'll expect the engine

to start first turn of the key....

I was struck by how low the seatbacks are

with regard to the cabin height, compared

to a modern car. Then again, look at say,

a Triumph of the 70's and the size of the

side windows compared with a modern car.

The proportions are very different.

But then again, I saw a '65 Pontiac GTO on TV

the other day & fell in love with those proportions!

Thanks for sharing how to fabricate the wiring looms. They look loads better than the kit offerings, and they are unbelievably realistic. The whole build looks just like the real Traction.

Incredible!!

That's very kind of you to say that though I'm not sure I deserve it.

It's a genuine 'learning curve' for me, as this is the first model I've ever added weathering to, so it's a bit like 'make it up as you go along'.

All good fun though.

The engine is now in, and there are LOADS of connections to sort out, and a bit more weathering to the actual engine to do so that it matches its surrounding bay a bit better...

RP1010151_zpsasm7haje.jpgoy.

P1010149_zps8jiroij4.jpg

P1010148_zpsr5uuajdn.jpg

• Like 4

Just caught up with this thread and I mus say it is very impressive. Some of those details are just exquisite. The best praise I can give is it just looks like the real thing. A superb piece of work!

Hats off to you sir!

Bob

Roy I think that now your not a teacher anymore then model making is a second career that you should consider looking into or you could just make a sack load from selling the big cars you have already done, I'm sure that there would be quite a few takers from this forum.

That is some seriously good work with the finish, I can tell that it is going to be one of those models that people mistake for a real car when some pics of the finished article pop up, I mean the dirt and grime you have added to the underneath and the engine bay is just out of this world and to think of doing the door inners dirty aswell is just something that I (aswell as many more) would overlook the attention to detail is mind boggling

Shaun

Roy, how long did it take you to paint your garage floor to look like a cutting mat?

Very witty.... That made me chuckle.

However - extremely kind.

I've weathered the engine down a bit more with thinned gloss and matt blacks, and some rusty matt reds.

Ancillaries to connect up next.

Roy.

P1010156_zpszck7zs17.jpg

P1010155_zpsgqoxhj1u.jpg

• Like 1

Beginning to tear out the proverbial hair here...

I've finally got the ignition leads in.

I cut the plug caps off the kit rubber wires and added my own cables that are a bit more scale accurate, and also a nice drab 1950's brown.
The plug cap boots were made from 1.25mm long bits of plastic tubing....

I think I need an eye bath now.

Roy.

P1010007_zpsnoagmbxx.jpg

• Like 1