Revell 1:24 Red Bull Racing RB8 'Sebastian Vettel'

Hi all,

My first ever car, of any type, and I thought I'd put up some pics. Have always loved F1, though I haven't watched it in a few years. When I realised, on the day of the last race of the 2014 season, that I actually have Sky F1 HD, I watched the last race, trying to figure out all the new rules (they're hybrids now? :) ) and all the new Drivers and Teams. It got me thinking about making an F1 model, and I ended up picking out this one. Mainly because it was the most modern F1 car I could find, as it's Red Bull's 2012 car.

Anyhow, I finally got this finished this evening, a two month build in total, though there's a chance I'll be doing some small touch-ups here and there as I spot them. Really enjoyed this build, despite the challenges and issues I had. Most, if not all, of these were caused by my lack of experience with building cars, and the different build sequence needed for them. I'm definitely not used to gluing painted/decaled parts to each other! I learned a lot though, and if I were ever to do this kit again, I'd definitely assemble the upper body, side pods, intake/engine covers etc. all at once, then paint the yellow, and then mask and spray paint the blue, all before gluing it to the lower body. That method would have saved me a *lot* of hassle and re-sprays.

As always, it's not perfect, I can see lots of niggling issues, but thankfully most of them can only be seen if you look really closely or know where to look. For a first car build though, and a fairly challenging first car build, I'm quite happy with it.

Anyhow, here are the pics, as always please feel free to comment/suggest/criticise as I'm here to learn as well as enjoy. Back to aircraft for me now... :)

J.

Kit: Revell Red Bull Racing RB8 'Sebastian Vettel'

Scale: 1:24

Paint & Weathering: Tamiya Rattle Can and brush painted with Revell Aqua Colour and Citadel Nuln Oil Shade

Extras: None

Build Log: Here

53%20Finished%201_zpsyg376gqw.jpg

54%20Finished%202_zpspnjm6jyr.jpg

55%20Finished%203_zpswbvbp9cc.jpg

56%20Finished%204_zpsvwviotj6.jpg

57%20Finished%205_zpsxyupmvrt.jpg

58%20Finished%206_zpsjjmlmyot.jpg

59%20Finished%207_zpsagtqrdfd.jpg

60%20Finished%208_zpsnptqvhwj.jpg

61%20Finished%209_zpsqshzg7ei.jpg

• Like 5

Well that's one hell of an intro, beautiful build and finish.

All set to watch the start of this seasons F1, so if it has the same inspiration hopefully we should see some more of your builds on here

:goodjob:

First F1 car. Damn what a start, well done on an amazing job. I've built 2 of these (1 webber for me and 1 vettel as a build for someone) and I still want a vettel one for me.

Adding to the wish list now.

Well done, I look forward to seeing what you tackle next :-)

Rick

Thanks a lot, it's much appreciated!

Yep, the carbon fibre decals were tough in places, but the hardest ones were the words 'Red Bull' on each side pod, and the two red bulls on the upper intake. Just lots of complex curves going on, which makes decalling tough...

J.