Tamiya Churchill Mk VII

How do chaps,

As an antidote to the very nice but fiddly Dragon PzIII I'm doing for the Achtung Panzer GB I've made a start on this.

DSC_0003-01_zpsi4bdldsl.jpg

This first came out in 1977 in the guise of the Crocodile Flame Thrower, and upon till the release of the AFV Mk III was the only plastic kit of the Churchie in 35th scale. It's still a lovely kit and it would be really good if Tamiya gave it a re-tool like the Matilda. Very much doubt they will tho due to AFV Club knocking out various marks at a rate of knots (still no Mk VII tho :shrug: )

Detail is still good by current standards, but is a little chunky in places. This will be built from the box apart from the gun barrel which is from RB Models. I may use Archer Decals, but not decided as of yet.

Drive wheels and sprockets.

DSC_0004-01_zpsbapagad5.jpg

Front plate made up with MG in place.

DSC_0005-01_zpsevdt274b.jpg

In place on the lower hull tub.

DSC_0006-02_zps7fxfyrhc.jpg

Rear plate tow hook and smoke boxes(?)

DSC_0007-02_zpsqld6uf6b.jpg

Road wheels and sponsons.

DSC_0008-01_zpsn3gcwuxa.jpg

Both sponsons in place on lower tub.

DSC_0009-01_zpsy2d4weg5.jpg

DSC_0010-01_zpsavaxsasl.jpg

Upper hull popped on and turret shell started with RB barrel in place. This took a bit of fetttling to make sure it was straight and not shooting round corners! :huh:

DSC_0011_zpsq8rpzvum.jpg

I got this far by barely glancing at the instructions as its that easy to put together (I have built a couple of these before, so I guess that helps a bit! :P )

Really enjoying this and should have it put together in no time at all.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 5

Will be following with interst, i have ordered the flame thrower version that has just been re-released. Can you tell me where you got the RB barrel from please?

I got this one from Telford a couple of years back. They're readily available on Ebay though (usually from Poland, but I've had them from there without any problems)

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve,

I will follow this with interest. I must have a go at a Churchill at some point, not sure it will be in 1/35 though, so I will be taking notes! Nice quick start so far! :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments chaps. :)

I've got the Crocodile version in the stash...which I can hear muffled shouting from the loft saying, 'Build me now!' :)

Go on Doug, you know you want to!

Some more done on the Churchie,

After saying I would build this from the box i found some Sovereign 2000 flimsies and decided to put two on the back as they looked far better than the ones in the kit. :winkgrin:

DSC_0001_zps18h3fnx1.jpg

DSC_0002_zpsqgljyh6u.jpg

A few more bits added to the hull sides.

DSC_0003_zpsid0kht8l.jpg

The Churchill crews had a habit of welding spare tracks from other Churchill's, Sherman's and even Panther and Tiger tanks to the front hull and turret sides in the belief that they would afford extra protection. In reality they tended to affect the turret traverse gear and push the weight up some what. Senior officers also tended to frown upon this practice. I doubt how some tracks would stop an 88 or 75 hyper velocity shell from a Tiger, Panther or PAK. I can only imagine it caused more fragments to take out some poor infantry men in the near vicinity if the tank was hit! :shrug: I had some spare tracks which I've cut into appropriate lengths and attached to the hull front and turret sides as per period photo's.

DSC_0004_zpsudbmb7vh.jpg

DSC_0005_zpsgz5mlrau.jpg

Some spare Sherman tracks will also be fitted to the front of the turret at some point (when I remember where I put them that is!)

And finally for now, one with the lid on.

DSC_0006_zpsflmikniu.jpg

More to follow soon,

Regards,

Steve

• Like 5

I've got the Crocodile version in the stash...which I can hear muffled shouting from the loft saying, 'Build me now!' :)

Doug - you can always donate it to me to build on your behalf.....

like the way this is progressing

Cheers Rob.

Been playing with some gauze wadding tonight.

DSC_0001_zpsgtywzwg3.jpg

After a soak in thinned PVA this is what i did with it on the turret.

DSC_0002-01_zpsz4fpi6j1.jpg

DSC_0003_zps7f8ygzsi.jpg

Turret stowage box with a few bits added for interest.

DSC_0004_zpsc189wiu1.jpg

Also added a wee bit of stowage to the rear track covers. Apparently Churchill's were quite roomy inside, hence why you don't often see photo's of them piled with stowage on the rear deck like Sherman's and Cromwell's were. May have also been to do with the fact that the exhausts covered a fair bit of the rear deck too? The flat tarp will be painted in pink for an air recognition panel.

DSC_0005_zpsxvszhl48.jpg

And one with the lid on.

DSC_0006_zpsxwfzht9p.jpg

I really need to stop playing with this one and get on with my Pz III in the Achtung Panzer GB, :whip: but i'm enjoying this one too much! :whistle:

Regards,

Steve

Edited by fatfingers
  • Like 6

like the camo net - have used the same stuff rolled up before but never stretched - may look to that for the M5A1 build I am slowly planning

Doug - you can always donate it to me to build on your behalf.....

like the way this is progressing

Trouble is you'd make a better job of it Rob!

Might have a bit of an armour session actually, doing the Cromwell has reminded me how nice these older Tamiya kits are, and pretty easy to throw together.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The Churchill crews had a habit of welding spare tracks from other Churchill's, Sherman's and even Panther and Tiger tanks to the front hull and turret sides in the belief that they would afford extra protection. In reality they tended to affect the turret traverse gear and push the weight up some what. Senior officers also tended to frown upon this practice. I doubt how some tracks would stop an 88 or 75 hyper velocity shell from a Tiger, Panther or PAK. I can only imagine it caused more fragments to take out some poor infantry men in the near vicinity if the tank was hit! :shrug: I had some spare tracks which I've cut into appropriate lengths and attached to the hull front and turret sides as per period photo's.

While the Tiger and Panther, and "88s" were the greatest fear, the greatest danger to an Allied AFV in 1944/45 was "the lone wolf" with a Panzerfaust. While a bit heavy for "standoff" protection, tracks worked well - especially on the front of a Churchill, where the armour was already 100 - 150mm thick. 4" extra would be enough to keep out a Panzerfaust hit. Canadian tanks' trademark was track protection.

Nice work Steve, have three to finish, two Tamiya and two AFV Churchill's.

Started them all but could not decide to what unit/country they would go.

I assume you have some idea for your build, maybe sneek the unit for one of mine :hmmm::wicked: .

foxy :coolio:

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...