Hurricane Mk.I P2992 of 527 Radar Calibration Sqn

This Hurricane I was built for a club display with the theme Red. Yeah I know it looks more orange than red!

IMG_0664_zps8usqdmvo.jpg

There’s a thread here on the colour.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234972519-hurricane-mki-p2992-of-527-radar-calibration-sqn-red/

I was hoping a picture might surface but no sign so far so the definitive reference is James Goulding’s profile. There is a reasonable speculation in that thread that the colour may have been a dayglo shade.

9_24_b1_zpsee8049a9.jpg

This is the old Airfix 1980-odd Hurricane I which seems to be well regarded for its shape and better than the Hase one. The main problems are no detail at all in the wheel wells or cockpit. This was fixed by ‘cloning’ both from the resin parts of the Sword fabric wing Hurricane kit.

16690005772_3c4644fc35_c.jpg

While I was at it I reproduced the radiator scoop front and instrument panel (which I used)and the exhausts (which I didn’t). Apart from these items it is out-of-the-box. The decals are from the spares box (mainly ex-Hurricane roundels etc) and the code and serial were Alps-printed.

16665091416_ff9f75c693_c.jpg

16503648090_5de3a41cdd_c.jpg

16503648660_5594be02f3_c.jpg

Assuming Goulding had some information not available to us, the colour wasn’t red as it looks different to the roundels but not too far off as the fin flash has a white outline around the red.

I used a mix of approximately equal parts of Model Master White, Dayglo Orange and RLM23. It is a reasonable match for Dayglo Fire Orange and somewhere near the hue of the profile illustration

16071085343_eaaab46b08_c.jpg

It would be reasonable to think that after all this effort (1) Airfix will release a new metal wing Mk I and (2) a colour picture of P2992 will turn up.........

16690006962_7bab481ff2_c.jpg

x

• Like 20

Great model! I think the ol' Airfix Hurricane is a great little kit, first one I did on return to the hobby; the cat unfortunately killed it... The fit is pretty good I found. Love this one :)

Great model! I think the ol' Airfix Hurricane is a great little kit, first one I did on return to the hobby; the cat unfortunately killed it... The fit is pretty good I found. Love this one :)

Aha!!! converted to a Hurricat eh ?. ^_^

Either that or it was shot down by a Moggerschmitt ;):lol: ..........................

Like the red Hurri Ed(eh),nice to see 'em used for other roles.

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 1