Hustling the Hustler

tc2324

Some of you older folk may remember my 1/72 scale days long ago and the whif-tastic, (or should that be crazy...?), ideas, I had back in those days making all sorts of stuff.

One build really grabbed my attention.....,

005-6.jpg

So much so, that I felt you need to revisit this idea for a What If GB on another forum.

But this time....., it`s gonna be bigger and better.......

IMG_3626_zpsujyx0nj7.jpg

Hopefully, in the years since the 1/72 days, I`ve improved my skills and I can produce a better rendition of it.

So first things first......, how big is this thing gonna get?

Well...., I used a 1/48 EE Lightning for scale and the main question I now have is..................,

IMG_3719_zpsjm4ij1gh.jpg

.......... where the hell am I going to store it when finished....???

• Like 9

You pretty much get everything with the kit, the four B43 or B61 nuclear weapons, the MB-1C pod which is the smaller one and the TCP (Two Component Pod), which placed the nuclear weapon in an upper section while the lower fuel component could be independently jettisoned.

IMG_3721_zpschbjukxk.jpg

I`m kinda playing with the idea of what the mission profile might of been with this aircraft.

By the early 70`s any nuclear strike would have been a low level dash followed by the steep climb to `lob` the weapon at the target before either returning to base or moving onto the next target again at low level.

With that in mind, I`m thinking the RAF may have gone for a standard central fuel tank to extend the range with the four nuclear free fall/lob weapons.

Saying that, why not bung on a couple of cruise missile pylons between the engines and increase your weapons delivery by two and improve your stand off capability while your at it?

Any and all ideas/comments welcome.

Hi TC,

Hmmm, I like where you are coming from! How about a couple, or six of those underwing stand-off missiles, (Blue Water??), designed for the TSR2 and rearward facing SNEB style launchers firing rapid blooming chaff...?

Thinking laterally, could you bolt a Blue Steel underneath...? Or each wing...?

Back to reality,

Christian the Married and exiled to africa

Cockpit and clam shell ejection seat have been completed....,

IMG_3734_zpskvccg4b1.jpg

All very `grey` I`m afraid. The lovely bright red on the escape capsule only showed when activated.

And now for a few issues that highlight the kits age.

First up is the join/gap where the upper wing and upper fuselage meet.

The port side looks good....

IMG_3730_zpsiknrefqn.jpg

..... starboard.., not so much...!

IMG_3729_zpslfiian9o.jpg

Next up are the engine nacelles....,

IMG_3731_zpsrcihyxzx.jpg

IMG_3732_zps1eyamptx.jpg

... gaps a plenty and lots of join ridges.

Don`t get me wrong, these are all fixable. But I proves that the kit itself is getting on a bit and needs an update or new tool. This is far to an iconic aircraft design to be ignored.

More soon.

• Like 1

May I propose something totally different ?

The Hustler was indeed tested by the USAF for low level penetration duties and it was not really suited. Had the RAF bought these aircrafts they'd have likely reached the same conclusions and retired the type.

For the reasons above, why not imagine an earlier scenario where the RAF takes charge of a number of B-58s as high level supersonic bombers and decide that afterall there's no reason to paint them. Bomber Command units at the same time notice the colourful markings on the Lightnings and decide to do the same on their Hustlers. I'm thinking natural metal with colourful tails and unit markings, something that unfortunately did not happen much on USAF B-58s. A 617 Sqn aircraft would look very colourful....

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 1

That`s a nice idea Giorgio and a NMF Hustler in RAF markings would go very well with the EE Lightnings of the day. I can`t help but think though that in reality the RAF would have had them in anti flash white which again is a scheme I do not recall seeing in the what if world. (Now awaiting someone to post a link...) :fight::evil_laugh:

In truth I just simply wanted to copy my original build, just make it more difficult for me to display it..... :banghead:

The front u/c is starting to look very good and I haven`t even finished building it all yet. Just a shame that the doors when attached will hide a lot of it.

IMG_3735_zpshxbxxz1g.jpg

I did not scrimp on the ballast forward of the C of G. There`s nowhere else to add extra if you judge it wrong.

IMG_3736_zpsoear4z5x.jpg

... and with a couple of paint pots to act as the main u/c, it looks like I`ve got it sorted out ok.

IMG_3738_zps2e1vhwi2.jpg

The following picture however proves that there is a lot of work to be had to make it all look `tidy`.

IMG_3739_zpsidiwhdfs.jpg

The milestone in this update being that the main components of the build are together.

• Like 3

Managed to get some time today to do a few more bits to the Hustler.

Started the new job in the city on Monday so it`s been a bit `full on` getting to know as much as I can in a short space of time.

Due to the age of the kit, some bits were quite brittle which led to a section on the leading edge shattering when it caught the side of the work top.

All rather annoying, but easily fixed within 24 hours.

IMG_3771_zpsdbaudgem.jpg

I`ve always heard that the SR-71 was a bit `gappy` when on the ground and it seems this Hustler kit, (from what I`ve heard and seen myself...), is just the same. Plenty of gaps that need attention with either glue or green putty depending on size and width.

IMG_3773_zpsbslrrx4e.jpg

IMG_3774_zpsamresgtn.jpg

So where does this all leave me?

Well...., by all accounts and as seen from a distance, the fit is rather good.

IMG_3769_zpsug9xzasa.jpg

To my eye anyway.

• Like 4

As mentioned..., somewhere?...., new job, spending time with the kids seem to be getting in the way of making models, but today I final started the spraying....

IMG_3852_zps4ejclcgv.jpg

• Like 4

617 Squadron then? I'd assume it falls under "specialty" bombing after all...

Yep, pretty much. As I said in the OP, it`s a straight forward copy of the 1/72 scheme but hopefully made a bit better.

So the main airframe has now been completed.

Decals all on and varnish coats applied. This kit really is in need of an update as the raised panel lines mean that any type of wash is all but useless. If unlike me, you love rescribing, then it`s certainly a kit for you. The wash however has give the model a `used` look with a couple of `stains` here and there.

IMG_3884_zpsfbls4zaw.jpg

Now I need to fit the u/c doors which after dry fitting may be a tad probmatic as they appear to be on the thick side to fit inbetween the u/c legs and fuselage.

IMG_3886_zpswji3bnqu.jpg

• Like 3

This kit was never the easiest of builds but you have done a fine job. My personal choice though would be to use the anti-flash white finish.

Allan

This kit was never the easiest of builds but you have done a fine job. My personal choice though would be to use the anti-flash white finish.

Allan

Cheers Allan :thumbsup: and your not the first to suggest the anti-flash white.

I think it would of looked very good in the anti-flash in the 1960`s.

My camo scheme on this one however is a late 70`s/early 80`s one when the nuclear strike role went low level. Think early Tonka. :winkgrin:

Ok chaps, finished pics are done and this will be on display at the Newark Cockpit Fest on the Saturday in June if you wish to see it in the flesh.

Glad I got this done in 1/48, although as already mentioned, the mould really is in need of an update. As you can guess the finished article is big. The width is about the same as a 1/72 Lanc or B-17, but it`s the length that`s the main displaying issue. (No sniggering at the back thank you.....)

So with no further ado........

Convair B-58K Hustler
617 Squadron RAF
RAF Marham

IMG_3895_zps1cpfvxts.jpg

IMG_3892_zps543mgwnw.jpg

IMG_3896_zpsilucb7tw.jpg

IMG_3906_zpshxgvcwa2.jpg

IMG_3912_zpskwhzzruv.jpg

• Like 1