P-40E in Brazilian Air Force service circa 1943 (Academy 1/72) WIP

Hi all!

Let's start a new project. This time will be the well known Curtiss fighter and backbone of the American Air Force in the beginning of World War Two, the P-40E.

There is an excellent article about those first P-40E's received by the Brazilian Air Force (FAB) in August 1942 written by Árpád Árbocz entitled: Cores e Camuflagens dos P-40E no Brasil (Colours and Camouflage for the P-40E in Brazil) here - (Sorry! Portuguese text only).

Basically, the first 6 aircraft to arrive in Brazil were part of Kittyhawk's MKIa lot originally destined to RAF. Therefore they had been delivered in the Temperate Land Scheme.

P-40E_FAB_023.jpg P-40E (US serial number: 41-36132) FAB 01 P-40E_FAB_024.jpg Profile representing the photo above

Besides that above mentioned link, I will also relay on my most recently acquired book

P-40E_FAB_021.jpg

According to Árpád Árbocz author of the above mentioned article, the most probable colour scheme translated to the Federal Standard representation would be:

P-40E_FAB_025.jpg

That will be my guideline.

The Kit

I'll be using the Academy kit in 1/72 for this project.

P-40E_FAB_001.jpg The box art P-40E_FAB_002.jpg Sprue 1 P-40E_FAB_003.jpg Sprue 2 P-40E_FAB_004.jpg Sprue 3 P-40E_FAB_005.jpg Clear parts

P-40E_FAB_006.jpg

Instructions 1

P-40E_FAB_007.jpg

Instructions 2 P-40E_FAB_008.jpg Instructions 3 P-40E_FAB_009.jpg Instructions 4 P-40E_FAB_010.jpg Instructions 5 P-40E_FAB_011.jpg Instructions 6 P-40E_FAB_012.jpg Instructions 7 P-40E_FAB_013.jpg Instructions 8 P-40E_FAB_014.jpg Instructions addendum with RAAF scheme P-40E_FAB_015.jpg Decal sheet

For this kit I'll be using this photoetched parts. I'm not totally green to the use of PE's but I'm not an expert either. So I can foresee some dramas along the away! :)

P-40E_FAB_016.jpg The PE set P-40E_FAB_017.jpg PE instruction 1 P-40E_FAB_018.jpg PE instruction 2

I also have this amazing FCM decal sheet that I was saving for a long time, waiting to the right opportunity to use it. Finally the time has come for me to start my P-40 series in Brazilian markings.

P-40E_FAB_019.jpg Decal instructions P-40E_FAB_020.jpg FCM decal (unfortunately discontinued)

Let's go!

• Like 4

The Academy kit's quite nice, but it's a pity they stuffed up the canopy profile. When I built mine I did a bit of judicious sanding on both the canopy and the spine to make it look better.

Mike.

• Like 2

Well this looks like a fun project!

Awesome stuff....are you addicted to P40's?? :coolio:

First point of interest Medium Green....???....FS 34092

In the Testors Model Master range FS34092 is something like Euro Dark Green.

The actual US Medium Green in that range is FS34102.

I had this question on my P-47...before.....well.....melting it with my modelling lamp!

I am interested what you choose but I am sure the build will be great whatever you decide!

Chocks away!

Cheers

• Like 1

First time that I see a WW2 airplane to be built in Brazilian colours. Exotic to say the least!

You are loaded for bear with all these aftermarkets! It's going to be fun to watch.

Good luck.

JR

• Like 1

The Academy kit's quite nice, but it's a pity they stuffed up the canopy profile. When I built mine I did a bit of judicious sanding on both the canopy and the spine to make it look better.

Mike.

Thanks for the tip mate!

Well this looks like a fun project!

Awesome stuff....are you addicted to P40's?? :coolio:

First point of interest Medium Green....???....FS 34092

In the Testors Model Master range FS34092 is something like Euro Dark Green.

The actual US Medium Green in that range is FS34102.

I had this question on my P-47...before.....well.....melting it with my modelling lamp!

I am interested what you choose but I am sure the build will be great whatever you decide!

Chocks away!

Cheers

Thanks Bruce

First: I'm not addicted to P-40 just it happened that I got this book, had the decals and the kit was laying aound my stash begin for me to build it! That's all! :)

Second: The FS colours are just code numbers and it doesn't have a " name" attached to it. the model paint makers are responsible for introducing the names, so I' m only interested in the number provided. Also it is just a starting point since the original paint was suppose to be DuPont to match RAF specifications. Add to that these planes were used in the Northeast of Brazil with a weather close to North Queensland, so expect heavily weathered and faded.

See you Tuesday at SAPMA meeting!

First time that I see a WW2 airplane to be built in Brazilian colours. Exotic to say the least!

You are loaded for bear with all these aftermarkets! It's going to be fun to watch.

Good luck.

JR

So you would be surprised to know that Brazil fought in Italy along the Allies and had a Squadron attached to the 356th Air Force.

Here a model I did last year:

http://armouredsprue.blogspot.com.au/2014/06/p47dc1-fab-wwii-academy-172.html

Stay tuned!

Hello ArmouredSprue,

Welcome to the group build! A nice choice of markings too. I built this one when it first came out for my son's ceiling. IIRC some of the numbers for the undercarriage components might have been transposed, (or it could have been me... :clif: ).

If I can as one question, where did you get the book from, (Português não é problema), as I think I would rather like that one, (what with several 1/48 P-40's to build in FAB markings...

Christian the Married and exiled to africa

• Like 1

Hello ArmouredSprue,

Welcome to the group build! A nice choice of markings too. I built this one when it first came out for my son's ceiling. IIRC some of the numbers for the undercarriage components might have been transposed, (or it could have been me... :clif: ).

If I can as one question, where did you get the book from, (Português não é problema), as I think I would rather like that one, (what with several 1/48 P-40's to build in FAB markings...

Hello Christian

Here is the link to where I found about this book: http://webkits.hoop.la/topic/livro-p-40-no-brasil?reply=425483767716772621#425483767716772621

If yo do speak Portuguese, that website is one of the best in that language ( WEBKITS ) with a very active forum.

The book is worth every penny I have spent on it, highly recommended if you are into Brazilian or South America air forces.

Cheers

PS: Você é brasileiro ou português morando na África?

Tackling the same kit in the P-40 Single Type Group Build atm. Why don´t you join us? http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/494-curtiss-p-40-single-type-group-build/

V-P

Id love to join this GB, Ive posted there requesting for some of the administrators to move my topic for the GB one, lets see what happens!

Cheers and thanks for the heads up!

• Like 1

I have started by adding the cockpit photoetcheds (PE). I was a little time consuming but I have managed to finish it without any incident. I used cianocrilate to glue it in place.

P-40E_FAB_026.jpg

P-40E_FAB_027.jpg

P-40E_FAB_028.jpg

That's it for while!

• Like 4

Hi...

This looks a great project - I've never built the Academy P-40, so am interested in seeing how it comes out.

One word of warning though - I built a P-40K in 1/72 a couple of years ago and also bought FCM decals, but sorry to say had a hell of a time with them, and ended up starting from scratch.

Basically, once off the sheet, they were discoloured in places, very thick, coated in excess carrier film, wouldn't settle down - despite all the known tricks, and once actually on the model were very hard to move.

There's even a thread on BM about it somewhere, as I wondered if I had a rogue batch - I ended up returning them to Hannants in the end. I'd definitely try a test decal on something first because I'd hate to see a build like this have a problem at the final hurdle.

Chris

• Like 1

Hello Christian

Here is the link to where I found about this book: http://webkits.hoop.la/topic/livro-p-40-no-brasil?reply=425483767716772621#425483767716772621

If yo do speak Portuguese, that website is one of the best in that language ( WEBKITS ) with a very active forum.

The book is worth every penny I have spent on it, highly recommended if you are into Brazilian or South America air forces.

Cheers

PS: Você é brasileiro ou português morando na África?

Id love to join this GB, Ive posted there requesting for some of the administrators to move my topic for the GB one, lets see what happens!

Cheers and thanks for the heads up!

Não, britânico, mas nós vivemos em Porto por vários anos antes que sai para o exílio , (Quênia ).

Obrigado pelos detalhes do livro , eu estarei pedindo um pouco !

Olhando bem !

Edited by wyverns4

Regarding FCM decals, aren't they unconventional in some way? I found them thick when I used them, with excessive carrier film but later read that applying them was a two stage process. Apparently you're meant to peel the top layer off. Quite how you achieve this is unclear as no instructions were included. Anyone have any ideas?

John.

Regarding FCM decals, aren't they unconventional in some way? I found them thick when I used them, with excessive carrier film but later read that applying them was a two stage process. Apparently you're meant to peel the top layer off. Quite how you achieve this is unclear as no instructions were included. Anyone have any ideas?

John.

Hi John

That sounds like the Japanese MYK decals. I have no idea if FCM are the same but here is a link to MYK's English instruction page :-

http://www.myk-design.com/tank/e_asudeca.html

Regards

Nick

Hi...

This looks a great project - I've never built the Academy P-40, so am interested in seeing how it comes out.

One word of warning though - I built a P-40K in 1/72 a couple of years ago and also bought FCM decals, but sorry to say had a hell of a time with them, and ended up starting from scratch.

Basically, once off the sheet, they were discoloured in places, very thick, coated in excess carrier film, wouldn't settle down - despite all the known tricks, and once actually on the model were very hard to move.

There's even a thread on BM about it somewhere, as I wondered if I had a rogue batch - I ended up returning them to Hannants in the end. I'd definitely try a test decal on something first because I'd hate to see a build like this have a problem at the final hurdle.

Chris

John.

Hi John

That sounds like the Japanese MYK decals. I have no idea if FCM are the same but here is a link to MYK's English instruction page :-

http://www.myk-design.com/tank/e_asudeca.html

Regards

Nick

Thanks Nick, I'll try that.

John.

Hi guys!

In regards to FCM decals, they had a line of decals long time ago so called Elite Series, it presented with a very thick coat on top of the decal. The idea was to place the decal, wait for it to dry (overnight) and then remove the overcoat leaving only the printed in the model. Off course it didnt work as planned and it was very hard to remove it afterwards.

Nowadays they dont do it anymore and the decals are now printed at MicroScale (so with a high quality). The new batches are highly recommended! You should give then a new try!

Meanwhile more work with the PE.

P-40E_FAB_029.jpg

• Like 2

Found you on the Group Build! LOL

Do they give an award at the end? If they do I'm backing you in!

Great start. Some nice bits and pieces added in.

Good luck with this one.

I need a rest after cooking the P-47 so I'll just sit back and go along for the ride

Cheers!

• Like 1

Found you on the Group Build! LOL

Do they give an award at the end? If they do I'm backing you in!

Great start. Some nice bits and pieces added in.

Good luck with this one.

I need a rest after cooking the P-47 so I'll just sit back and go along for the ride

Cheers!

This Ill try to finish in one month! Thats the time left for the GB Im in in a Brazilian forum.

Lets see!

• Like 1