Vallejo Model Air Sets - Pamphlets Misleading

CedB

Vallejo Sky:

From a conversation about Sea vixens: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234976417-sea-vixen-faw2-colours-scaled-1144

I posted this

Model Air duck egg green (71009) and about 30% Model Color pale grey/blue (907). Mixed by eye, ergo "yeah that seems about right, that'll do".

In fact the grey tints the DEG quite subtly so you need to add a lot to tone down the DEG. It means if you over add the grey you can pull it back with more DEG.

And the 2 different ranges mix perfectly together, which came as a bit of a surprise.

Example:

http://www.britmodel...whirlwind-har3/

http://www.britmodel...-revell-gannet/

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Like 2

I guess people are expecting me to post here so, not wanting to disappoint...

WWII Model Air set pamphlet shows Sky FS 34424, and Eau de Nil FS 34533 and "Duck Egg Green" FS 34449 * edit as 71.103 (in the set) which is labelled "Graublau RLM84 / Grey".

Helpful. That's my input but Foghorn has a made a better post and I bow to his expertise.

Edit: * and Light Green FS 34096 and Dark Slate Grey FS 34096.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I have to agree with your first point.

I have used the Hataka Luftwaffe paint set and 'good' is not the word that springs most readily to mind. The paint quality was inconsistent meaning each colour required its own guessing-game of how much thinner would be required and how much paint needed to get an adequate coverage. As for the colour mix, if they do know something we don't it is something that most of the other paint manufacturers don't seem to know either. Can I prove them wrong? No, and I don't have to, they have to convince me, not the other way round. I am the customer Mike, the transaction does not happen without me.

As for the Vallejo, it isn't 'just' a matter of putting a few wrong pots of paint in the box, that is a pretty big deal in my book.

Cheers,

Stew

Hi Stew

I completely agree with all the comments in this thread, and after my return to modelling following a hiatus of 20ish years, purchased an almost full set(72) of the Vallejo ModelAir as I wanted to progress from brush paint to airbrushing. In my humble opinion as a returning newbie, I have found that the ModelAir colours aren't as accurate as the FS equivalent , and I think that people are getting too paranoid about exact colour matches, and I think that the same colours vary from different manufacturer's. I decided to get the set of ModelAir in order to enable me to mix my own shades or get the colour as close to the Federal standard, and this is an art form in itself.

There are lots of valuable tips in this thread, and even two aircraft painted at the same time/factory in the same colour, could vary in shade depending on the environmental conditions such as weathering, sun bleaching, dirt etc. I have an app on my iphone called iModelKit for mixing my own colours & shades, and if you pick a colour from a specific manufacturer and look for the equivalent colour from other manuf. then the colour/shades do vary quite considerably, but then this gives you the mix amounts for different colours that are in your collection in order to get an approximate match. :winkgrin:

I have seen a kit on ebay that comes with a h&s airbrush for circa 80 quid,ish.

Hi Daz,

whilst looking around for paints, I was directed to this site and saw this at only £69

Mike

I've changed the topic title to be a bit more relevant to the initial post, as the WARNING in big capitals was a bit misleading about the problem. :)

• Like 1

. In fact if you have some RLM 66, you can do the standard bomber camouflage for throughout the war. So if the only German aircraft you wanted to paint was Airfix's Do17, then you don't have to spend a fortune on paints!

thanks

Mike

Mike I may be missing something here but RLM66 is a dark grey that's mostly used for late war Luftwaffe cockpits, how exactly can it be used for the standard bomber camouflage? As I have large stocks of Mr Color RLM 70/71/74/75/81/82 et al I would be most interested in this space and money saving tip. as long as it doesn't involve mixing paint drop by drop and keeping notes of colour mixes...

Anil

• Like 1

Thanks Mike :)

Although there's more problems there than the MSG... I did an analysis here. Take your point though so I've changed the title to be more accurate I hope :)

Hi Daz,

whilst looking around for paints, I was directed to this site and saw this at only £69

Mike

Hi Mike

in my humble opinion this is a bargain as the H&S Ultra is approx £60 on its own, and I have the Camouflage version of this set, and in my limited experience the H&S Ultra is a good AB for a beginner as much easier to use than the Iwata Revolution.