Achilles M10 IIc 1/48 ( 01/01/18 Mud, glorious mud)

ScanmanDan

Can't help myself biggrin.png

Next build will be the Tamiya M10 Achilles IIc 17pdr.

Jumped in with building by getting into the aftermarket and putting together the Verlinden resin M2 50cal.

Nice bit of gear if a bit fiddly to assemble, but much less work than messing about with a lot of tiny photo etch.

Paints up nice smile.png

Achilies%2001.jpg

Achilies%2002.jpg

I'm going to work on the Hull next and I have some photo etch and resin bits to add.

Lovin these little guys.

Dan

Edited by ScanmanDan
  • Like 6

Steve, Andy & Tarheellaw - Thanks for your encouraging comments.

Andy - You gotta try one of these beauties. I'm so looking forward to adding some life to the interior. Make sure that you share your build, I'll be looking for it.

Progress;

Well she's up on her feet. Got a touch of the AMS and started adding bits and doing stupid things like trying to open up around the idler wheels( You won't be able to see any difference once the tracks are on. :( ). I think Tamiya have done a pretty good job of adding a fair amount of detail to these kits. Why I keep thinking my additions are making things better I'll never know. I want to get to some basic painting this weekend and with luck I won't get distracted with any more 'improvements'. I do think that I had to add the sponson tops as you could see straight through from the open top to the tracks and that would look horrible.

On to the pics.

Achilies%2004.jpg

Achilies%2003.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

• Like 2

Very nice detailing. As you say, blocking off the sponsons is a necessity. I'm sure it wouldn't have hurt Tamiya's profit margin to have added a couple of blanking plates. The one I've got to do is for publication so unfortunately I can't post any build shots but your build will be a great reference when I get round to starting it.

Andy

• 1 year later...

Another year older but none the wiser. :D

Progress;

Achilies%2005.jpg

Achilies%2006.jpg

Achilies%2007.jpg

Achilies%2008.jpg

Achilies%2009.jpg

Nothing too flash, or accurate ( just a little bit of the selective gizmo-logy going on here folks). Just little bits of plastic and wire with a little bit of resin too. :D

I'm a bit concerned about having to paint the interior first but that's the deal with the open top tanks.

Thanks for having a look.

Dan

• Like 3

Hey Dan, I like this one a lot. However, I have a question. I am very inexperienced as far as armor building is concerned. All of the kits that I plan to build are 1/48 scale. How did you make the hex nuts ? Any "Words of Wisdom" would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Bob H.

• 1 month later...

Lovely kit

I really like Tamiya's 'new' 1/48 line, some kits are a bit pricey and others seem to be packed with goodies. I ended up getting the AFV club 1/35 version with a bit more interior. I like the aftermarket kit you got very much. Do you get ammo with the Tamiya kit ? In this series I have the US troops at rest which comes with a very cool little 'Willy's Jeep'.

• 1 year later...

Because I...

Squirrel   :piliot: 

Got the hankering to experiment with bases so;

Achilies%2011-L.jpg

Achilies%2010-L.jpg

Just a raised box made from styrene that is sized to fit into the black Ikea frames I use for my bases.  Then a whole bunch of stuff thrown at it to see if it would work.  I did try out my new leaf punch with some success, so that's a win.

Here is the base with the dusty Achilles, note how little you can see now after all that work :(  

Achilies%2012-L.jpg

Achilies%2013-L.jpg

I still think it looks better than just a plain base and lets me think about what I might be able to do in the future.  I will slowly add some more bits to the Achilles, that frankly I forgot that I bought , and get to painting her soon.  

Thanks for looking in.

Oh and the hex nuts are all just tiny slices of styrene hex rod that Evergreen make.  The come in a lot of sizes from .05mm to 2mm ( I think maybe bigger sizes too)  I bought a pack of each of the smaller sizes and they have lasted me years.

Dan

• Like 2

Thanks Kev,  nice to know I'm doing something right.  

I've started to add some lovely turned brass bits that I have bought in the past year or so.  I also want to add some more storage to the rear deck and turret duckbills plus add some straps to tie that magic storage to the turret sides.  We'll see if I can't stuff it up. ;)

Dan

Kev, I have way too many of these 1/48 scale Tamiya kits in the stash to build ' one day' :)  I tend to get them at model swap & sells where they tend to go for very little money.  I just have to keep at them and get em finished. 

Calum, I see your point but I'm working within the limits of the bases I have to hand and I was think to try and see if 'breaking the fourth wall ' will work for me or look silly.  I usually just do a very simple black base and I'm trying out ground work ideas to see what will work.  I'm a big believer that the only way to learn is to try and sometimes fail.  We'll see how I like it at the end.

Well I'm calling this one ready for paint, only need to add the Aber brass antenna which I'll do at the end because you know I'll bust it off.  

Achilies%2014-L.jpg

Achilies%2015-L.jpg

So much more I could tinker with but I just know I'll stuff it if I just don't get on with it.  Hope to prime then paint tomorrow then maybe decals?

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

• Like 2

Progress:

Achilies%2022-L.jpg

Achilies%2023-L.jpg

Mostly pin washes with Tamiya enamels and some more detail painting.

I have an interesting question.

Should I paint the grousers rust colour or leave then green?  I would have thought that they would have been painted the stock camouflage colour and if not used then remained that colour until used.  Where they used all that much?  I'd be interested to hear what people think.

Dan

• Like 1

Chris -Thanks!  

SGT - One of the many things I'm still working out is how bright and contrasty to make the underlying paint so that after I'm through messing about the whole thing isn't a mucky black/brown mess.  Still have a way to go but I am getting better at it.  Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Progress;

A lot of time spent with the brush adding and fiddling everywhere.  Lots of details still to paint.  I'm having fun but beginning to itch to glue stuff together :)

Achilies%2025-L.jpg

Achilies%2026-L.jpg

Achilies%2027-L.jpg

Achilies%2024-L.jpg

I need to make a start on the turret or ....

Squirrel :D

Thanks for looking in.

• Like 4

Too old to party on New Years last night so I decided to get dirty ;) 

Achilies%2029-L.jpg

Achilies%2028-L.jpg

Achilies%2030-L.jpg

A lot of faffing about considering no one will ever see the belly of this critter.  I do love the combination of pigments and AK Fixer ;)  Great stuff that fixer.

I hope everyone had a great New Years.

Dan

• Like 5