Monogram kits advice please

Discodaz

Guys..just been in my local model shop.just brousing possible next builds for me and my 12 year old son..ive seen a 1/32 tornado i like but that's another story.

My lad has his heart set on a 1/48 f18 hornet blue Angels kit..he has one in made by monogram.its only 14 quid which worries me slightly..I tend to find the cheaper kits are cheap for a reason..

What are monogram like?ive only ever dealt with revell,academy ( not a great fan of personally) and tamiya ( very over priced in my opinion).

So..anyone know about the monogram kits and even better the f18 blue angel hornet?

Sorry if it's wrong section,still finding my feet here

Daz

Old Monogram kits (70s-80s vintage) are still some of the best kits I've ever made. they show their age by comparison to new tool kits by their moulded raised panel lines and somewhat rudimentary moulded details in the cockpits and wheelwells.

That said they are almost universally accurate, fit together very nicely, and the fact that Revell often rebox Monogram kits under their own label is testimony to their enduring quality.

The 1/48 F-18 is one of their enduring kits and is well worth building, especially for relative newcomers to the hobby, although it has some difficulty fitting around the intakes and some warping on the wings. The Blue Angels boxing has no armament included (obviously) but the only question mark would be the quality of the decals, which might be a bit difficult to get right. As long as you lay them on a smooth gloss finish, he should have no problem.

Al

Edited by Brokenedge

Thanks al..im guessing by the packaging of the model and the box image in general,it's an old model.thing is,if there's difficulty with warping or air intakes etc,I need him to sort it.the whole point of him doing these kits,is to teach him some patience and attention to detail..I don't want to interfere in his builds if that makes sense..but,he is only 12 so may struggle with rectifying mould faults etc.

Daz

My nephew managed the Monogram F/A-18 when he was twelve a few years ago with a little help. The P-51 and P-80 Shooting Star build up well and I seem to remember the Me-262 did as well. If he has a few under his belt he should be OK with a few pointers and maybe a small bit of demonstration. Let him do the work under guidance and he should be fine.

The Monogram 48th B-17 is still reckoned to be the most accurate BTW!

Yeah.i think i will get him it..at the end of the day it's only 14 quid,so no loss if he messes up..he's currently working on a airfix bae hawk t mk1. Ive told him he's not getting another till he's finished this one..I know what he's like,he will get impatient then not finish the hawk.lol

Thanks guys

Daz

Go for it. I have a Monogram F-18 Hornet Blue Angels. Monograms were always well detailed, well in shape and in the seventies the non plus ultra for a reasonable price. This is the reason why they sell well today. The cockpit is well as the gear bays, although a bit to flat. Panels are raised but fine and look correct. The exhaust is the closed version . A bit too narrow and simple at the end and no spray rings. But you won't see much of it, even if you take a closer look . Gear looks good. Sidewinders also. Only one fuel tank for the centerline with an on moulded pylon. No wing pylons and other ordnance. Canopy is not correct . It misses the bubble look Testfitting was ok to good. Schould be no major problem to build it for a 12 year old one. Just a bit of advise here and there. Only 100 pieces, I guess. Construction plan is easy and clear to follow. And at the end it looks like the real one definetley. Decals of mine weren't good. Glossy, thick and yellowing. And big ones. I won't build it as a blue Angels one. Chees.

Edited by bbudde

Many thanks for the concise reply bbudde.hes pestered long enough I guess..I will pop out in my lunch hour Monday while he's at school and grab it...he's still not getting it till he finishes the hawk,lol

Daz

• Like 1