Triumph Herald - Shadow Blue?

nimrod54

Hi guys,

I hope someone can help me out here. I am currently putting together an Airfix Triumph Herald for a friend, I want to try and get it as close to a car that he owned. He tells me that the body colour was Powder Blue and that the interior trim was a Pale Navy.

I think the colour he may be referring to is Shadow Blue because the other blue trim colour I can find (Midnight Blue) looks too dark.

I have found little info for Shadow Blue and wondered if anyone knows of a near match for this.

Thanks in anticipation for any help.

Can I suggest looking for a Triumph Herald owners' club, as they may well have period colour charts. Whereas Powder Blue is a fairly familiar colour name, Shadow Blue isn't, and neither may be a match for any current colour sold under the same name.

Alternatively, beg/borrow a paint colour chart from your local motor spares shop, and get your friend to identify the colour that best matches his memory.

Google gives me Shadow Blue as an interior trim colour.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RH5157BLUE

(Pale Navy? isn't that a contradiction in terms? Bleeding car company colour names...)

• Like 1

Thanks Graham, I came across the Rimmer Bros link yesterday when I spent what seemed to be most of the day in pursuit of this colour. I also came across a Triumph Herald Archive that had a colour link, great I thought. It turned out to be a graphic of available body colours.

Contacting an owners club is a good idea that I will pursue.

Cheers again

You are right, Pale Navy is a contradiction and my friends interpretation of the colour, so the car companies are not to blame in this case.

I learnt to drive with BSM in a powder blue Herald, and then inherited my mother's powder blue Herald after passing my test :)

Can't remember the colour of the interior trim but it might have been light grey :shrug:

• Like 1

Hi.....Here you are an original Triumph's colour chart.....maybe you'll find it usefull.

My uncle used to own a '61 Powder Blue Herald (needless to say, I was in love with that car). I remember it pretty well..it had light blue/ grey leatherette upholtery. Fond memories....

Best regards...

http://spitlist.info/Paint.html

dupont60.jpg

triumph%20herald%20011_8201.jpg

Edited by Artie
  • Like 1

Thanks for your input chaps. In particular to WIP for the link and Artie for posting the photo, both are going to be very useful. I knew that if I asked a question in the right place on here I would get the answer, just an amazing resource.

Hi, you can buy touch up 50ml pots of the right shade of blue here:

https://shop.tssc.org.uk/category/touch-pots?sort_bef_combine=field_sort_order_value%20ASC&sort_order=ASC&sort_by=field_sort_order_value&page=0%2C2

bit pricey for one off use and it's cellulose but apart from that they're ok.

Wes

Thanks a lot Wes, that's really useful. It may be costly but at least I will get the right shade for the body colour.

I had a '59 948cc in Powder blue with beige interior and black carpets, and a '65 1200 in Cherry Red and White with Webasto. That had a beige interior and black carpets as well. A bit like the box art the Airfix box.

No doubt these combinations will add to the confusion. Good luck on your quest to make a model of the best car I ever had to work on

• Like 1