Tamiya 1/35 M51 Super Sherman

Scopedog3

Thought I'd post some pics of a project I'm using as a bit of relief for another labour intensive build on Achtung Panzer group build. Details can be soft in places but the build itself is sublime, pure heaven. My only gripe and it isn't really a gripe, is that the grab irons are solid not separate parts. I can understand the simplification on their 48 scale kits but I'm a little mystified in 1/35. Anyhow, a pleasure to assemble, thanks for looking.

Mark

DSC_1628_2_zpsaf25060a.jpg

DSC_1631_2_zpsabf92f17.jpg

DSC_1632_2_zps4d2dcf3a.jpg

DSC_1633_2_zps909d1861.jpg

• Like 3

Progress continues.. I replaced the solid hatch grab irons with brass wire, and added the only aftermarket item I intend to use which is the aerial mount with a brass item. I will be thinning the plastic light guards so I filled their locating holes with Tamiya putty. Not much left to add, water and fuel jerry cans, tools, and some other bits, so should be close to the painting stage within the next couple of days. Thanks for the comments and thanks for looking.

DSC_1634_2_zpsdunpkuzs.jpg

DSC_1635_2_zpsygjqfrf7.jpg

DSC_1636_2_zpsaixrgqm2.jpg

DSC_1637_2_zpsqpnwivea.jpg

• Like 2

Isn't the Academy Isherman the same kit ?

I haven't built the Academy kit but I don't think so. I believe it's generally not considered as accurate as the Tamiya kit. It also represents a late vehicle while the Tamiya kit is an early one and is accurate for a Six day war tank.

Stuart

The build is nearing completion..this past week was very busy for me so I couldn't get as far along as I hoped. I thinned down the light guards which took some time, but look decent enough as I hate doing Sherman photo-etch light guards, drives me nuts. I broke one of the rear guards so will be reproducing them with styrene strips, a lot easier than the front. I found some mesh for the ovular vents near the rear deck, they are a bit big but left them on anyway, they add a little extra detail the kit needs. Tools were added, i prefer to paint them in place, and jerry cans will be added later. Wheels and track are ready for the paint booth, and I'll apply some Vallejo Sandy Paste to the sponsons and running gear for dried mud and the beginnings of the weathering process. Thanks for looking, Cheers

DSC_1638_2_zpsjnusjmla.jpg

DSC_1639_2_zpsqwwzynf2.jpg

DSC_1640_2_zpsv6zuca22.jpg

DSC_1641_2_zpsv5ye26je.jpg

DSC_1642_2_zpsqjkm3lfy.jpg

• Like 1

Nice work ! .. I find myself gravitating more and more to the like of tamiya stuff over dragon etc .. life to short :)

Is the bracket by the commanders cupola correct? It should form one end of a rack to carry the dismantled aerial sections so should be in line with the other end and the 4 tie down loops on the counterweight extension. In plan view it should form a fragmented rectangle that lies diagaonally across the counterweight.