Chieftain Mk2

Kiwidave4

The Centurion that I used as the basis of my BARV build was bought as a job lot with a couple of other built tanks;- a Chally 1 and a Chieftain. I only ever considered the Chally as a source of Chieftain spares, but the Chieftain was to be rebuilt,- it was just a question of the right inspiration. Finding a photo of a Mk2 with 3RTR at Fallingbostel was just what I needed to fire my imagination. This will be my second Mk2, but unlike my last which was a pristine vehicle this build will be a dirty and damaged example.

Buying built models is always a game of chance, and this one was a pretty poor build, with no parts clean-up, parts not properly aligned or engaged, excess cement, etc, etc. This is what I started with...looks much better in the photo!

iOtKhVP.jpg

So it went into an old plastic paint bucket with a good coat of my wifes oven cleaner, left overnight it scrubbed up quite well next day and the build could begin by dismantling it!. First jobs were the usual ones of filling the motorisation holes. I also like to bush the idler mount with brass and replace the idler axle with a steel rod. Sheet styrene filled the void between track guards and hull sides. Then I started to tackle the 'real' jobs, filling redundant holes, and beginning the lengthy task of adding all the details that Tamiya forgot. So far I have added the missing track guard brackets, the bazooka plate mounts, and the stiffening ribs on the front track guard section. Because the vehicle I am modelling had the right hand track guard forward section misssing I have cut that off, and added some semi scale detail to the idler mount.

pQPP2vT.jpg

mcSKLji.jpg

At the rear of the hull the Mk2 had the original Mk1 hull bins and exhaust box. The latter is an easy fix, just plating the top of the box, and adding some detail to the gun crutch and telephone box. The bins are significantly different to the kit items so they have to be scratchbuilt.

yN5M9aT.jpg

Xyo1L2X.jpg

7oW8L5Z.jpg

I have also stripped the turret and filled redundant holes. This was so badly built I decided i will replace the NBC pack, cupola and searchlight with new items from the spares box. I will also replace the loaders and commanders hatches with the same parts from the Chally kit. So not much progress, but I have started detailing the smoke launchers.

S9KV4uc.jpg

TjUV9d8.jpg

So there you go, not a lot of progress but I am chipping away at it and will post some more progress pics if it is of interest to folks.

Regards Dave

• Like 4

I will follow closely, they are an iconic tank and never fired a shot in anger really (excluding Middle East owners), the British Army deployed the "funnies" in Gulf 1.

I have the Mk5 ARV to do in the future, a lovely beast.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Making progress with the hull. Bins fitted, the bulldozer plumbing trunking fitted, drivers hatch modified and open stay fitted, bazzooka plate brackets and tow cable guides fitted, in fact most of the major bits done. Squash moulded some headlights and fitted them with the associated wiring and a scratchbuilt horn. At the rear I have fitted the modified exhaust box, and the new bins, after first raising and angling the hull lifting eyes

SlFUuWq.jpg

vPyRRc8.jpg

BwYQHBm.jpg

Had a bit of a look at the turret. I had to remove the rear plate/NBC pack as it was not correctly fitted and covered in excess cement!!!!! The advantage of building multiple Chieftains - I had a new plate and NBC pack in the spares box! So fitted the plate and will now start working on the turret, and leave the more fragile hull bits till later in the build.

Do have to tackle the headlight brush guards which I recall were bit of a pain on my last Mk2 so they might get long fingered for a while.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Progress has been slow....this is the time of the year when I usually get stuck in to house maintenance and modelling takes a back seat. I have got a bit further with the turret, and have completed the rebuild of the gun. The original gun was a mess;- the halves were not aligned, the muzzle attached at an angle and the bellows at the mantle end was beyond recovery. I always reinforce the kit barrels with brass tube and /or rod. This time I also turned a new muzzle from aluminium, and a new bellows, also from aluminium.

This photo shows the old and new parts before assembly.

X8CShCy.jpg

The barrel halves were joined around the brass core, and the muzzle fitted. The old bellows were cut and grafted onto the new one.

mg4Sna5.jpg

The bellows were then fitted to the turret.

q7GzSRA.jpg

A mantlet cover of Milliput was added, with some scratch built retaining straps. Just the ranging gun to be added.

xwlAFBO.jpg

Edited by Kiwidave4
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

What started as a quick build has started to drag. I have been distracted by some house renovation/redecorating so have not been spending as many hours on modelling.

Anyway it is heading toward the final stages. As a distraction from some of the fiddly bits I have made a start on the base and the crew, but may have to do a rethink on the crew. Currently I am kit bashing some WW2 Miniart figures but I am not sure if the results will cut the mustard.

So this is where I am at with the beast. The GPMG was unusable so I dug in the spares box and found a Chally gun and scratched a mount for it. Made a flashing beacon from an old LED, added some internal details to the hatches, replacing the loaders hatches with a pair of Chally ones from the spares box. Kept myself quiet for a bit adding the tie downs to the bazooka plates, and added brass locator pins to the plates so they can be fitted after painting. So it is coming together quite nicely.

ezNHPQ5.png

WUs1gCC.jpg

49UoC0a.jpg

PHMOoaw.jpg

W7oySQQ.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Been a while...I have had a really bad case of modellers block, in part brought on by frustration with the crew, base and camo nets. I have used figures mixed and matched from Miniarts WW2 winter tank crew. The photos I have of the original vehicle show the crew (and the 432 crews) in Pixie suits, but the WW2 berets need some slimming down, plus I had to do some reposing to fit. The base will be snow covered and I have not tried that before so I am in suck it and see territory. The camo nets are my first attempt using the cheesecloth and tea leaf technique. Found it very messy (!) and not very easy. I am unsure if the ones you see will stay or if I should have another try.

Made some stowage for the turret basket, a couple of tubes to represent oil drums, a ration box and some tarp.

So here we are. Still lots of small detail to add to the hull but if I can work up the enthusiasm it should not be long till the build stage is finished.

speNWzV.jpg

5tqrdeo.jpg

Wl5vMaO.jpg

dlGpSM8.jpg

• Like 4

Really smart! What do you plan to use for the snow?

I have some Woodland Scenics to try. I need to achieve just a light dusting of snow, not heavy drift type stuff, so hope it will give me the desired effect.

Well its ready for paint, but that might take a while as we are in the depths of winter and I paint in my garage. Had another try at the turret camo net but still not happy. Can't get it to follow the contours of the turret, so I am hoping that when the painting is done I will be able to glue it down.

4igJCYY.jpg

G5dwDJH.jpg

GVQSoBl.jpg

aC250gq.jpg

0WETD5f.jpg

vhBdZBd.jpg

• Like 1

Wonder if you could run some copper wire through the centre of that camouflage net so that you could bend it to follow the turret contours?

Simon

Thanks Simon. Great minds etc,etc! Thats what I did on my second attempt, but the real problem is getting the underside to conform to the turret details. The wire did help a bit with the basic shape so it was not a total waste of time. I have been considering trying a 'sausage' of Milliput which could be squeezed down onto the turret, and then 'tar and feathered' with the tea leaves.