1/35 Trumpeter Leopold Railway Gun

Update.

Some pictures of the photo etch, a lot of it I didn't use because a) I didn't think it was an improvement over the kit, and B) I had already assembled a lot of the kit by the time I got the photo etch and it was difficult to cut of bits that would be replaced by the photo etch.

DSC_9271_1.jpg

DSC_9272.jpg

DSC_9273.jpg

A close up of the underneath of the gun raising mechanism, I said earlier that the metal shaft at this point needed reducing in length, well it was right, the width of the gap on the bottom of the chassis is 41mm, so the width of the shaft plus the parts it fits into (C29) needs to be 40mm, otherwise it catches on the sides when you try to raise the gun.

DSC_9275_1.jpg

DSC_9276.jpg

Gun barrel installed, its a big bugger.

DSC_9274.jpg

More to follow.

BB

• Like 6

Wow you you build fast! This would have taken me months to get to this stage. Coming along nicely. I might just have to pull mine out after a couple more builds and continue with it.

BB, can get you some photos of worn in bogeys/wheels and some track/rail if you want? 1:1 scale like

That could be useful Breaker, thank you.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement.

A small problem arose with the foil on the wheels.

Because I had glued up the wheels and axles, forcing the wheels past the brakes caused some of the foil to be removed.

If I did it again I would probably build things in a different order to avoid his.

BB

Update.

I sprayed most of it, I treated myself to a Humbrol rattle can to save poisoning myself with the airbrush.

Tank grey was listed as the closest to the colour used by the Germans, it looks a bit dark but should be OK.

Doing the wooden boards by trial and error, first effort was tan, then I followed this up with beige which gave a dry weatherworn look and was quite good.

Then I overdid it.

Anyway my question is what would look best, a darkish brown or a light colour?

I'm still experimenting.

DSC_9296.jpg

DSC_9295.jpg

This is obviously too light, but what do you reckon, dark or lighter?

Cheers

BB

• 2 weeks later...

One of our lads in the Club did one of these a few years back. He added the Loco and a flatbed with an 88 mounted on it. I seem to remember that the Leo and the loco were both trumpeter in the same scale, they didn't fit on the same track without a tussle. Beautiful big site though when completed. Keep up the good work. :goodjob:

• 4 weeks later...

That's turning into a well executed behemoth. Great job, truly great job.