1/35 Trumpeter Leopold Railway Gun

I stood on the real one in France a couple of years ago, and this came up on eBay for £56 so I couldn't resist.

The box is huge.

DSC_9162.jpg

With boxes inside boxes.

DSC_9163.jpg

And there's so many sprues that the kitchen sink just wasn't an option.

DSC_9164.jpg

All washed and rinsed, ready for priming.

DSC_9166.jpg

I normally spray the sprues with Halfords primer, but I think I'll put some things together before priming.

I don't think this is going to be a quick build, so don't hold your breath.

BB

• Like 3

That is a lot of plastic, maybe you need to try this idea...

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234976977-space-saver/

A good idea if you've got the room above your work table.

What I have done is put a white sticky label on each sprue with the sprue letter on both sides, and keep them in the box in the order of build.

BB

Wow,

I'm going to tag along if you don't mind, have built a couple of Trumperter railway kits myself, looking forward to this one. The top tip that I've got for you is to get the chassis level and square, then everything else falls into place easily.

Ozzy

Wow,

I'm going to tag along if you don't mind, have built a couple of Trumperter railway kits myself, looking forward to this one. The top tip that I've got for you is to get the chassis level and square, then everything else falls into place easily.

Ozzy

Thank you Ozzy, I'll bear that in mind.

There have been a few builds logged in the past so I've got some reference points.

BB

That's a lot of sprue! May I ask what Mo is doing in the background of the second picture? He doesn't look particularly interested in the kit!

Ha, it is a drinks holder I made out of mdf years ago, needs a bit of a scrub up.

BB

Great start! I started mine after finishing the BR52 but I got so far as half way through the first truck before I put it away again (too many things on rails for a while I think).

Once I've finished my other projects, I'll pick mine up again. In the mean time I'll watch you builds yours :)

In my research I found you have to trim the aluminium rods in the main barrel assembly. I can't remember exactly where I saw it, but I have the link saved on my laptop, so once it's fired up, I'll share it with you. You may have already found it in your searches.

The one and only tip I would suggest is it paint the insides of the truck assemblies early - like before you put the wheels on as getting to them afterwards won't be easy.

Looking forward to seeing more of this! Are you going to have yours in grey or camo?

Nice start, but why do you wash the sprues before priming them?

I thought you'll need to roughen the surface so the paint would attach better... :shrug:

But I looks like a big and nice kit to build!

Even boxes in boxes, wow.

I was always told that you should wash the parts with detergent to get rid of anything left over from the casting process.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but I do it anyway, can't do any harm can it?

BB

• Like 1

Update.

I'm going for the single rail track, I don't have room for the turntable.

DSC_9174.jpg

Front truck chassis.

DSC_9175.jpg

Lots of repetitive sub assemblies to be put together.

DSC_9177.jpg

Sub-assemblies and leaf springs glued on.

DSC_9179.jpg

The leaf springs are not glued on, you kind of have to hold them in mid air while you glue the oval "o rings" onto them,

a bit fiddly but I managed it. Someone else suggested gluing them to the gubbins that goes on the end of the wheel axle,

but then I don't think you can get the wheels all lined up later on.

DSC_9180.jpg

Starting to get seriously technical down there now.

DSC_9182.jpg

More to follow.

BB

• Like 5