Old Tool Airfix Gladiator

Hello All,

In an exercise in sheer perversity, here's the old tool Airfix Gladiator from 1957, upgraded a bit and using the spare canopy from the new tool Airfix Gladiator. I only bought this kit to get the 72 Squadron decals, but then got waylaid into building this as "Hope":

Old_Airfix_Gladiator_Port_zps4dcd8f30.jp

Old_Airfix_Gladiator_Starboard_zps33e71a

Old_Airfix_Gladiator_Front_zps7edd7b26.j

Old_Airfix_Gladiator_Under_zps3a656c1b.j

It was quite fun, but ultimately you know that there is a much better kit out there (next to this one on my bench!) and so it's ultimately an exercise in frustration. Now to finish the new one!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 31

Thanks chaps!

J-W, most of the rigging is EZ-Line - I stuck the lower ends down directly to the painted surface and ran the upper ends to the top of the struts before I glued the top wing on - no drilling. The ailerons and tail rigging are stretched sprue.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

It's been a while since I logged in!

This kit rocks!

I just learned about EZ line!

(I got the old matchbox version today, still in cellophane!!! Aaaaaand the new Airfix version. Was doing some research and this thread popped up. . . .)

Great build even if the kit is old!

Is there a WIP file?

Cheers, J.

• Like 1

Hi Adrian,

you've done a perversely great job!!! Brilliantly transformed this Neanderthal kit into something that even looks attractive!

I keep looking at my old tool Gladiator every time I feel depressed and believe life can't get worse... Upon seeing the deformed bits of plastic, I know things could be a lot badder!!! Like having to build the "thing"...

But 'my' model has got the chest and head (or the half thereof) of the pilot molded with each half fuselage... But looking to your WIP, your model looked like it had a normal cockpit opening...

Did they make several versions of that monster, or had you already removed the offending pilot on your photos?

You are a brave man... I salute you...

JR

• Like 1

Thanks Chaps...

Did they make several versions of that monster, or had you already removed the offending pilot on your photos?

Jean, I only bought the old one to get the rather excellent decal sheet from its last re-issue. Then I thought the spare canopy from the new one might fit the old one if the fuselage was sanded down to be narrower. So by the time I had sanded away enough to make the canopy fit, the moulded in pilot had gone! So I removed the rest of the shelf, knocked up a quick cockpit by copying the new one in card and scraps, and added a standard "Archie" .

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Jean, I only bought the old one to get the rather excellent decal sheet from its last re-issue.

Well, I was given a boxed old tool Gladiator with a rubbish decal sheet.... obviously from before the nice decals' time... So, lose-lose situation ...Damn!

Lucky you!!!

JR

• Like 1

That's a good job!

Did you replace the cowling? I made one a two or three years back (the threads on here somewhere!) and my cowling was very "flat" and with only faint humps for the cylinder covers. I made two engine/cowling - one out of the box (bag?), with a home made transfer to depict the covers and other details, the other was engine cowling, exhausts and prop from the old Airfix Blenhiem:

Nearlydoneenginesdraft7.jpg

I fix them to the fuselage with a bit of blutack so I can show the kit as built out of the box, or in the alternative with the "improved" cowling engine/assembly.

Al

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments!

Ed - you can't just throw away the plastic now can you? Very nice builds too.

Al - the cowling and engine are from the kit, modified a lot. There is a link to the WIP in post 10 above if you are interested in what I did.

Regards,

Adrian