Wood effect

Honeybee

Hi all

I am building a B17 and wanted to make a wooden floor. I took my freshly cut piece of white plastic and gave it an undercoat and then using a medium brush I painted it with Games Workshop Snakebite leather (Probably called summet else now) straight from the bottle without thinning. The brushmarks are required so worry not. When dry I gave it a wash of diluted black and when that was dry I drybrushed it with a the snakebite lightened with white. I think it turned out ok.

20150220_164255_zpsecb1f6d1.jpg

Zoom in to see the grain

Regards

Paul

• Like 4

Looks good.

In days of old there was a technique called combing that was used on doors. A dark varnish was applied to the door and a "comb" was dragged through it to create wood grain effect.

I took my freshly cut piece of white plastic and gave it an undercoat and then using a medium brush I painted it with Games Workshop Snakebite leather (Probably called summet else now) straight from the bottle without thinning. The brushmarks are required so worry not. When dry I gave it a wash of diluted black and when that was dry I drybrushed it with a the snakebite lightened with white.

Looks good to me Paul.

Why not use the kit floor, or wasn't there one?

Can we please have a translation for non-gaming modellers - Snakebite?

This doesn't look like an arplane...at all!!

What is this doing here?

B17 is a hint Robotics!

Hi Guys

I have no idea how snakebite is a colour but do remember snakebite as a drink, half lager half cider and full on mental juice.

Robotics, here isn't exactly where I recall putting it, but thanks to who ever did move it, more appropriate here.

CedB, there is no floor for the rear fuselage of the Revell 48th scale B17F, there is no rear section anything and there's nowt in the rad/ops section either.

Regards

Paul

1/48th scale B17 - big! But no detail is a disappointment... I'm used to seeing 1/72 and have a Memphis Belle in my stash which scares me at the level of detail others obtain... the floor's a great start but the rest must be REALLY scary!

Well not that scary as I'm not going mad on the rear sections The nose section however will be at the pointy end of the table and likely to draw attenbtion so I'm doing a bit in there. As it is there is a Bombardier seat and bomb sight only so a table for the nav and some black boxes will be a start. Check out the front end of a B17 in 32nd scale build thread, lots of idea for improvements to my kit

Regareds

Paul

Looks good to me.

A dark varnish was applied to the door and a "comb" was dragged through it to create wood grain effect.

My grandad was a painter and decorator, every door in our house was done with that effect.

Vallejo do a very good transparent woodgrain, Model Colour 182, or 70.828 if you prefer the other number (amusingly called 'wookgrain' on the bottle.)

Vallejo do a very good transparent woodgrain, Model Colour 182, or 70.828 if you prefer the other number (amusingly called 'wookgrain' on the bottle.)

Ha Ha Ha... I have that colour and have used it many times... I've never noticed that before. In some kind of bizarre coincidence I've just been using it and had a quick look at the bottle. :lol:

Great wood effect btw, Honeybee.