Tamiya Harley Davidson FLH1200 Police Bike - 1:6

activexp

Today's update: Front wheel and spring-loaded forks.

front%20forks1_zpsovsrkznz.jpg

Front wheel assembly and headlamp fitted. During this procedure the clutch 'cable' became detached from the lever on the gearbox casing which is now impossible to get to :(

headlamp3_zpsuh4grc7r.jpg

headlamp4_zps1mrxwwrr.jpg

More updates soon.

• Like 1

Moving on to the exhaust system where I encountered the first badly fitting parts in this build. The right hand side pipework is a one-piece moulding and is attached to the frame by 2 screws through brackets on the muffler. Unfortunately the down pipes from the cylinders don't line up with exhaust ports. After a bit of filing I managed to get the front pipe partially located and cemented in the port but the rear one is way out, about 3 - 4mm too short. It also appears to be at the wrong angle to mate with the port.

exhaust1_zps81py87oe.jpg

The left hand side pipework is a two-piece moulding, muffler and pipe where the latter goes through the frame and is supposed to locate in a hole on the inside of the right hand pipe. Well it doesn't, way out. The hole is also partially obscured by the support tube for the saddle making it impossible to fit as intended. The only solution was to botch it and cut the end off the pipe :(

exhaust2_zpsq6gmbljz.jpg

• Like 1

That's it exactly! Seems that Tamiya didn't quite get it right :(

I sent the builder of that model a pm , see what he did about it. Looks like the rear pipe could be cut just above the connection and raised up , covering the cut with a scratched heat shield.

I'll post this pic as well, the same kit chopped:

kirby_zpsosw9po2k.jpg

Check out those crazy shotguns Daddio!

Custom Motorcycle Modeler Page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Custom-Motorcycle-Modeler-Page/766321873448007?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

Edited by krow113
  • Like 1

Moving on to the saddlebags, air filter, fuel tank and handlebars.

saddlebags1_zpsbbsyso1s.jpg

saddlebags%20filter%20bars2_zpsuzzqjgv3.

fuel%20tanks3_zpsoluxkisf.jpg

The beast is getting quite heavy and have to be careful that it doesn't tip over. :blink:

Going well!

Next time fill the engine case with Milliput or BB's to create a lower weight. Helps to stabilize the model.

As for the pipe you could section a piece of a plastic brush ferrule cover , slit the back and Alclad it , than snap it over the gap. If you tapered the edge a little it would smooth out the transition.

Edited by krow113

Going well!

Next time fill the engine case with Milliput or BB's to create a lower weight. Helps to stabilize the model.

As for the pipe you could section a piece of a plastic brush ferrule cover , slit the back and Alclad it , than snap it over the gap. If you tapered the edge a little it would smooth out the transition.

Lowering the centre of gravity as you suggest sounds like a good idea and will keep it in mind for future builds. As for the pipes, I was thinking of using 3 or 5mm chrome tape to wrap round and hide the gap.

This is great and pleased to have the warning about the exhaust, it's a kit I intend to build some day. Keep up the great work

Hello kpnuts, I'm keeping an eye on your GSX1100S build as it's a kit that I'd like to build someday :)

Another of those kits I could only ever dream building as a kid / teenager / youth. It looks very impressive. :popcorn:

No further issues to speak of, overall an enjoyable and hassle free build. As for the exhausts no solution other than hiding the gap.

You even get a fire extinguisher. Rather poor photos. :(

fire%20ext2_zpsacrwu1xt.jpg

fire%20ext3_zpshn6xrbxe.jpg

And lots of unused parts. For the life of me I've no idea where these go as I've followed the instructions to the letter :pipe:

unused_zpsynqi76wq.jpg

Starting from the top:

unused_zpsynqi76wq.jpg

The angular chrome piece with the openings at either side is the top triple tree handle bar clamp cover.

The black strip is the middle tank cover. Goes under/behind the speedo cover. Covers the split between the tanks.

Round chrome cover is the derby (clutch inspection)cover for the outer chain case . Extra part.

Chrome 2 ended bracket with the dip , is the gauge array mount. Non-cop.

2 extra rubber foot pegs prolly for the FX version.

2 side brackets for the 3 plate rack in the middle. The assembles on top of the rear fender. With the 6 parts shown. Non cop as the radio is there I think.

2 tubular 'hand hold' brackets go on the same rack.

4 black 'bullets' and 4 chrome discs are for a gauge array the goes between the bars. Non-cop.

Chrome oval cover is a primary chain inspection cover, goes on the chain case if ya decide to lose the crash bar. I have NEVER seen one on any Harley ever anyway.

Prolly the rest is for cop lights.

OK?

Edited by krow113

As you say, those parts are for variants of the model so I haven't attempted to fit them. They've gone into my stash of unused bits.

Yep, pix of the finished model are very imminent :)

Can't wait for the finished article, as for the extra bits, they quite often share sprue trees between different kits as the tooling for the moulds is very expensive and to do a tree for each individual variation would be hugely expensive.

The thing on top of the engine lookin' like splayed female legs is the top motor mount. There would be a stud with a 1/2 nylock on each splay if ya wanna add that detail.

Going well, I'll be watching.

Iwould have just said "y shaped" or "yoke" but I like how your mind works!

I built this kit years ago and loved it. Enjoying your thread immensely. I te reminds me of how long I have actually been modelling and the variety of subjects I built. Keep the updates coming