Airfix 1 72 DC-3

Mike Esposito

I would expect the interior to be slightly different to the C-47 release. The C-47 has the bench seating while I would expect a civil release to include airliner style seating.

This is speculation on my part but with Airfix's other recent releases I would be surprised if it was not so.

• 1 month later...

Hallo everybody from the boot!

As I would like to model N777YA (a Dakota belonging to Bush Air Cargo of Alaska that I have seen ages ago in Palmer, AK) I was wondering if Airfix kits 08014 and 08015 offer the same parts on sprues.

Many pics on the net of '14 but seems none of '15.

Both are sporting skis? What about carb air intake? Short or long (or both)?

If someone has pics of '15's sprues can be so kind to post them to visually confirm these points and decide if the plastic is the same or there are differencies?

Unfortunately seems that no shops here in Milan stock them, so before ordering, say to Hannants...........

Thanks for coop.

Giuliano.

Asked Hornby as follows:

Good morning!

I would like to model an old DC-3 I saw in Alaska ages ago.

I am undecided between buyng kit 08014 or 08015 as I am seeking the the closest possible configuration (i.e. I need skis and short carburetor intakes).

Simple question: are the parts on sprues the same or there are differencies between the two kits?

Thank-you for your patience!

Have a nice day!

Giuliano

received following answer that frankly speakingis is not making my mind totally clear:

Dear Giuliano,

Thank you for your email, some of the main sprues will be similar if not the same but A08014 contains ski's which A08015 will not have included. So some parts will only be available in one kit and not the other and vice versa.

I will go for the 08014 becouse of skis.

Carb intake ramains a question mark but just in case is easyer to scratchbuild.

All the best!

Giuliano

You get long and short carb intakes plus thos unique ones fitted to Canadian Daks that fit on the side of the cowlings. But you don't get the medium ones that fit over the top of the cowlings and end at the short ones. Two types of props and several other optional parts.

Mike, not wanting to p*** on anyones parade, I think the Airfix civil Dak will still be a C47 won't it? Maybe I'm wrong (often am) but shouldn't a DC3 have the proper pax door rather than the larger freight versions on the rear left? Admittedly, many operators did fly the ex military C47s after the war, including, as correctly depicted by Airfix, Dan Air.

Myself, I'd like to do a Cambrian one but that had the small door as mentioned - they were ex BEA 'Pionair' versions.

Perhaps there is an opening for such as Colin of Freightdog to do a fuselage insert for those of us in need.

Nige

Hi Nige

Yes, The BEA Pionair had pax poor mods. The military ones with the small parachute/ pax type door were C-53. I do wish Aifix would make things clearer.

The only clear thing seems to be Airfix trying to produce a new version by finding a subject that already matches some,but not all of the exisiting plastic

I'm waiting for Mr Airfix to deliver a couple of the civvie C-47s at the moment. The lack of a passenger interior is a pain, but having built a C-47 to the point of being ready for paint (where it sits and will continue to sit until I get settled in the new house) the reality is that if you build the fuselage buttoned up you can't see anything much of the interior aft of the cockpit anyway.

Thanks so much to all contributors to this topic!

Having worked for ESCI from 1978 to 1982 and then being a very close friend of the late tech director that migrated to Italeri I know that sometimes kit makers need some adv fom avgeeks and after all reading this forum is F.O.C.!

All the best to everybody!

Giuliano

Most "DC-3s" built weren't DC-3s. Most were either C-47 or R4D Skytrains (called Dakotas in RAF service).

The civil DC-3 was a pre-war airliner - sometimes with Wright Cyclones and with a small passenger door. About 800 were built

The militarised C-47s had a strengthened floor and a large cargo door for freight loading.

Of course, after WW2 many C-47/R4D/Dakotas were "civillianised to carry passengers but retained much of their inherent C-47 characteristics.

Somewhere around 12,000 C-47s were built.

Edited by Eric Mc