Which Titanic Kit Is Best?

Howdy all. After just finishing watching Titanic I now have a hankering for a kit of said ship. Which was is best? I want as big as possible so I can see options from Airfix, Revell and Academy. Is the Academy kit that good as the price is about 3 times as much as the other 2 manufacturer's. I don't mind paying for quality kit and I'd quite like some aftermarket railings etc.

Advice please!

Which ever model you get please check for..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................SINK marks

• Like 8

Which ever model you get please check for..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................SINK marks

Du-dum. Please collect your coat on your way out. Lol

Eduard do a fairly cheap etch set for the Academy kit; railings, vent covers, window frames, compass platform and ratlines; it cost me around a tenner, excluding postage.

There is a centenary version of the Academy Titanic that comes complete with etch and wooden decks (and a small jigsaw); it's possible that price you saw listed for the Academy kit may have been this more expensive version.

Unless I'm mistaken the Airfix kit is the a reboxing of the standard issue Academy model.

Regards, Ross.

(Edit: Oh, and the etch that comes with the centenary edition is far more extensive than the Eduard set that I mentioned.)

Edited by Ravens

I have a Revell 1:350 Titanic but I've been looking to trade it for a 1:350 Trumpy HMS Repulse, USS Massachusetts/Alabama or possibly a carrier in the same scale; or sell for enough money to get one.

Mike

I built the special edition Academy one with the etch and wooden deck and it came out looking awesome. I also used some PE windows from Tom'a I think. 1/400 makes it ;onger than a 1/350 Musashi.

I hope that one can be found for a good price, otherwise it might be worth weighing up the cost of purchasing the kit and extras separately.

Regards, Ross.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Moist accurate Titanic in 1/350 is the latest incarnation of the MINICRAFT kit. GMM PE is also the best aftermarket companion. Just my humble opinion.

Billy, how does that compare with the Revell 1:350 Titanic? I have the Revell one but not started it yet, so it would be interesting to know what makes the Minicraft version better?

I am currently working on the Minicraft 1/350 kit along with the GMM PE. For more information than you would ever want to know about building a Titanic model, go to http://titanic-model.com/

Same question as above please Grant .

cheers

Mike

Billy, how does that compare with the Revell 1:350 Titanic? I have the Revell one but not started it yet, so it would be interesting to know what makes the Minicraft version better?

Same question as above please Grant .

cheers

Mike

I have no idea. I have only the one kit. Perhaps that is discussed in the forums of http://titanic-model.com/

Interesting - that might also suggest new Titanic kits in 1/350 and 1/700 appearing before too long, and if the rumours turn out to be true then I wouldn't be surprised to see other Olympic-Class vessels following in the coming years.

Ross.