Interesting F-35 News

Muzz

Yeh, can't get the link to paste, it's an article someone shared on Facebook from ForcesTV about how 17Sqn are now operating and maintaining the F-35 as a separate entity from the US.

Blimey, click on video to show what it can do, take off and land vertically, you'd have thought they were the first to have done that a :winkgrin:

I don't recall anyone saying, or even implying, that it was the first, but it brings up a question I don't know the answer to. Which fixed wing, jet lift aircraft was the first to take off vertically, hover, transition to horizontal flight, and land vertically? I'm not asking about production aircraft, as I suspect the answer to my question is one of the numerous experimental types in the 50s (X-13, XFV, XFY, SC.1, X-14, etc.).

Sweet. So much better than those boring greys...

Cheers,

Bill

Blimey, click on video to show what it can do, take off and land vertically, you'd have thought they were the first to have done that a :winkgrin:

Ah...but the Harrier didn't have a 'plonker'! It was still too busy an office to worry about personal needs. This baby even defecates for you on demand whilst landing vertically...accurate bombing I call it.

A truly next gen piece of fluff! Wondering what EMP Tech will do to this winged-wonder however: But I'm ever so interested to work out how much each sales-pitched claim will work out financially per word. (Gotta hand it to Lockheed - their BS comes with 'graft' a plenty) Just an opinion!

Ah...but the Harrier didn't have a 'plonker'! It was still too busy an office to worry about personal needs. This baby even defecates for you on demand whilst landing vertically...accurate bombing I call it.

A truly next gen piece of fluff! Wondering what EMP Tech will do to this winged-wonder however: But I'm ever so interested to work out how much each sales-pitched claim will work out financially per word. (Gotta hand it to Lockheed - their BS comes with 'graft' a plenty) Just an opinion!

And what will EMP weapons do to the likes of the Tornado, Sea Harrier, F-15 and so on ? What will these aircrafts do without all their radars and other electronic equipment ? Not to mention types like the Typhoon or the F-16 that can't even fly without computers ?

And what will EMP weapons do to the likes of the Tornado, Sea Harrier, F-15 and so on ? What will these aircrafts do without all their radars and other electronic equipment ? Not to mention types like the Typhoon or the F-16 that can't even fly without computers ?

That is the real reason for the RAF maintaining the BBMF,........EMP Insurance Flight!

Tony

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't get too excited, behind all the poitive spin and hype over how well the programme is finally doing, the US Gov annual report, strips back the Bull and higlights the areas of concern that are still ongoing. Its worth a read to get a reality check on the programme.

http://www.dote.osd.mil/pub/reports/FY2014/pdf/dod/2014f35jsf.pdf

Engine, lift fan shaft, clutch problems requiring redesign, structural cracks is many places, a ban on use of rudders except in emergency, rudder hinge wear excessive, fire risk from various sources, fuel dump problems with fire risk, overweight ship landing problems, poor availability, excessive maintenance hours, Failure to meet all 3 service requirements, vulnerability of electrics to ballistics, electronics way behind schedule. Consideration to cancel deferred as 'fixes' continue to be developed.

That's all right, we'll keep pumping billions into it, and scrap proven aircraft and systems to support it.

Lockheed Martin F-35 POS JSF., The Way Forward!

I wouldn't get too excited, behind all the poitive spin and hype over how well the programme is finally doing, the US Gov annual report, strips back the Bull and higlights the areas of concern that are still ongoing. Its worth a read to get a reality check on the programme.

http://www.dote.osd.mil/pub/reports/FY2014/pdf/dod/2014f35jsf.pdf

This report from February of 2014?