Westland Gazelle ZA730

alawrence

Here is a painting I am currently trying to finish of Gazelle ZA730 of A Flight 3BAS in the closing hours of the Falklands War. I really liked the unusual SNEB rocket pods that added a pugnacious quality not associated with the glamorous form of the helicopter.

I am struggling to confirm whether the rocket pods had the rear fairing fitted, as I have depicted, or without. The weapon was never used in action as it was felt to be too inaccurate. The gunsight consisted of a china graph cross penciled on the canopy.

If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear from them and would be greatly appreciated. Most of the pictures I have seen were taken in Ascension, and are of both with and without the rear fairing. In theatre photos are very rare.

This airframe is in line to be restored to flying condition by the Gazelle Helicopter Squadron.

Best regards

Anthony LawrenceGazelleZA730Preview_zps9990650f.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Anthony,

Lovely painting and very true to the real setting.

the only photo of a Gazelle close up that I managed to take during the conflict was of the front, and with the doors open, so not that much detail. Here is the photo but no additional detail I'm afraid.

Mike

3BAS Gazelle on Mount Kent - June 1982

gazelle%20on%20Mt%20Kent.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Lawrence,

I don't think so as I haven't sent it out to anyone for publication. I haven't read that book so cannot confirm either way on that. Does anyone have that book and can scan the page so that we can do a comparison?

cheers

Mike

• 1 month later...

Hello Mike

I managed to pick up a second hand copy of the After the Battle Book. You picture is not in it so I think I must have seen your picture elsewhere on this forum. There are so few colour photos from the falklands that your photo is quite unique. I have done some more work on the painting and revised the tail boom titles and now consider the painting finished. I visited the Army Air Corps Museum at Middle Wallop to see what photographs they had in the archive but I found only the well used images printed in most books and nothing new to me, so your photo is special.

Best regards

Anthony

Breaking%20Cover_zpss9ielt5d.jpg

Hi Anthony,

I would suggest you contact the archivist at the Fleet Air Arm museum at Yeovilton. That is where 3BAS were based, until their amalgamation with 847NAS, and I'm sure there must be some photo's there.

I only had an Instamatic with me at the time, plus the pilot wasn't hanging around; they (3BAS) had lost two Gazelles earlier, from gunfire whilst leading an assault group of Sea Kings into Port San Carlos.

Your painting is amazing, not just for the Gazelle but the landscape. Even the background, looking east towards Stanley is accurately depicted. I have another photo (below), which shows the area similar to yours, note the large inlet in my photo and same immediately in front of your Gazelle's nose. If I were to hazard a guess where that image represented then I would think that was Mount Harriet to the right and Two Sisters immediately on the left.

Truly inspiring work.

Mike

Mount Harriet, morning of 12th June 1982.
3_-_then.jpg

Here is a painting I am currently trying to finish of Gazelle ZA730 of A Flight 3BAS in the closing hours of the Falklands War. I really liked the unusual SNEB rocket pods that added a pugnacious quality not associated with the glamorous form of the helicopter.

I am struggling to confirm whether the rocket pods had the rear fairing fitted, as I have depicted, or without. The weapon was never used in action as it was felt to be too inaccurate. The gunsight consisted of a china graph cross penciled on the canopy.

If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear from them and would be greatly appreciated. Most of the pictures I have seen were taken in Ascension, and are of both with and without the rear fairing. In theatre photos are very rare.

This airframe is in line to be restored to flying condition by the Gazelle Helicopter Squadron.

Best regards

Anthony LawrenceGazelleZA730Preview_zps9990650f.jpg

Definitely fitted !

The SNEB pod, unlike American Rocket pods, is loaded from the rear, and the rear fairing retains the rockets in place. Without it fitted they would fall out of the pod in flight.

Selwyn

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...