Sea Vixen FAW.2 colours scaled 1:144 - Vallejo matches?

bootneck

I've seen mention of EDSG for the upperworks of the Sea Vixen being described as Humbrol H123, or even H164, but is there an equivalent for this colour in Vallejo?

I would need to lighten it somewhat as this is in 1:144 scale. I'd be grateful if someone could advise me what percent to lighten the recommended colour by.

Mike

I use Dark Bluegrey 867 from the model color line for EDSG and I find this quite good for a 1/72 model

Not sure by how much it should be lightened for a good scale effect in 1/144, guess the only answer would be "til it looks right", as scale effect is much a personal thing

Thanks Giorgio, I'll give that a try.

Just found that I don't have 867 :jump_fire: , of the 100 or so Vallejo colours I do have, so will pop out this week and source some.

I was looking at the photo's from the Woolley Family site (albeit they are FAW.1s) and they look very bluey, due to weathering?

cheers

Mike

But what colour did you use for the Sky?

Ah ... yeah ... erm, that was a mix :whistle:

Model Air duck egg green (71009) and about 30% Model Color pale grey/blue (907). Mixed by eye, ergo "yeah that seems about right, that'll do".

In fact the grey tints the DEG quite subtly so you need to add a lot to tone down the DEG. It means if you over add the grey you can pull it back with more DEG.

And the 2 different ranges mix perfectly together, which came as a bit of a surprise.

Neil

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Like 1

I've just seen an interesting photo which shows two different colour demarcations for the underside of the Sea VIxen HERE.

Interesting; it show the RN aerobatic team but two of the aircraft have the white carried forward onto the nose radome. Anyone know when or why?

Also, what is the little red item (one is red/silver?) on the port inboard pylon, but not carried on all?

Mike